Diatom bloom.. but why?

YHSublime

This is what I came home to:

DSC_0271_zps3198c58e.jpg

The picture is kind of toned down to how it really is, it was all over the glass as well. The left panel would be a good representation based on this picture. I heard that I can use my skimmer temporarily by putting a dinner plate or some sort of cover on top of my cone, I think it was ghetto rigged to start with, so no loss here, just something temporary. I'll link to that panel, as I'm pretty sure I'm not utilizing my sump properly.

I have also place both pumps pointing towards each other in the middle.

(edited)

I would slow down a bit with adding anything, watch feedings, and get your filtration right. I think your circulation is also a bit low based on the 2 power heads. Increased water movement will help.

Edited by Tracy G

I would slow down a bit with adding anything, watch feelings, and get your filtration right. I think your circulation is also a bit low based on the 2 power heads. Increased water movement will help.

Yeah, slowing down is the route for now. Except for the SPS, everything was just moved from my 14BC. A saltwater this big (I know it's small for most) comes with a learning curve. The BC was inclusive, and required less worry, but more water changes. I'll have the skimmer adjusted at least by tonight (I hope.) Even things like feeding are taking some time in the AM, I'm waking up, unplugging my pump, powerheads, waiting for the clowns to come out (they were waiting for me this morning) feed, plug everything back in. I think my diatom bloom is just part of new tank, I'm not concerned about it hurting anything, just was wondering if I was doing anything wrong. As for the powerheads and the output, I really don't think I'm underestimating my flow. I pointed two at each other last night, and maybe it's just wishful thinking, but it seemed to be clearing up a bit.

Diatoms -> green algae -> cyano (depends on husbandry)-> coralline.

passed the algae stage, in the cyano (what exactly do you mean by husbandry in my reefs case)

:clap:

Even things like feeding are taking some time in the AM, I'm waking up, unplugging my pump, powerheads, waiting for the clowns to come out (they were waiting for me this morning) feed, plug everything back in.

You will get tired of this and hate your tank...get a controller...press a button...feed...and leave for the day...

You will get tired of this and hate your tank...get a controller...press a button...feed...and leave for the day...

I have a switch box coming, then working on a controller.

Why turn the pumps off to feed.? Fish know how to catch food, no pumps turn off and on in the ocean.

Mostly because when I throw the pellets in, everything flows right into my overflow within a matter of seconds.

You need to soak them

Young Grasshopper has much to learn. Thanks, John.

(edited)

I went back through your dedicated tank thread trying to figure out your fish stocklist and nothing jumped out at me...what is in your tank and why are you feeding pellets? Next time you are at LFS pick up a pack of frozen food, flavor will depend on fish needs, just ask them for a recommendation.

Moreover, I noticed that you don't have clamps on your plumbing, at least put a zip tie on them for piece of mind if you're not going to clamp them.

Edited by John

Two clowns. That's all in terms of fish. Then what I consider to be lots of LPS, and a couple SPS pieces. I have a bag of jans' that I was feeding in the biocube every second day, the space was too small to control my nitrates, even when I was feeding a quarter of a cube. Clowns loved it, but really, they do great with the pellets. It's what QR was feeding, and has done me well for the past almost half year.

The diatom is clearing up. I have the two powerheads pointed at each other, it seems like it will probably be a couple more days until it's gone, short and sweet, I hope.

I'll put zip ties on :)

Cool, well I'd say once you have a skimmer up and running go back to Jan's food...I'd still use the pellets a couple times a month just to keep them trained...I prefer to have my tank-sitter use pellets/flakes when I'm out of town...apparently disolving frozen food is difficult for some people :/ I think I need a new tank-sitter :)

Cool, well I'd say once you have a skimmer up and running go back to Jan's food...I'd still use the pellets a couple times a month just to keep them trained...I prefer to have my tank-sitter use pellets/flakes when I'm out of town...apparently disolving frozen food is difficult for some people :/ I think I need a new tank-sitter :)

I rinse my frozen food and then put it in fresh salt water in clear plastic dixie cups labeled with the day of the week on it with a sharpie and leave them in the fridge for the pet sitter..all he has to do is dump in the cup each day....KISS principle for the sitter and my fish stay happy while I am gone....since the sitter is really for the dogs it just works better...

I completely understand. I don't have any friends I would leave this tank in their hands. If you want anything done right....

Got a new skimmer, will hook it up this weekend, cleaning up the sump, looking forward to a little tank housecleaning.

I rinse my frozen food and then put it in fresh salt water in clear plastic dixie cups labeled with the day of the week on it with a sharpie and leave them in the fridge for the pet sitter..all he has to do is dump in the cup each day....KISS principle for the sitter and my fish stay happy while I am gone....since the sitter is really for the dogs it just works better...

That's a great idea, get two birds stoned at once.

if you like the pellets and want to continue some use with them or any floating food, you can use a food ring. some folks use them with autofeeders so the food doesn't just whisk away into the overflow. it's like $2 at the petstore.

FeedingRing.jpg

Question: isn't disturbing the sandbed like restarting a cycle? Whether it is 2" or 6" deep the surface is no longer th surface and the bottom is no longer the bottom so things living in the sand have to re-settle. That would give diatoms the opportunity to bloom while the live sand get adjusted to it's new environment, right?

+1.... Made for a good laugh though..

:cool:

if you like the pellets and want to continue some use with them or any floating food, you can use a food ring. some folks use them with autofeeders so the food doesn't just whisk away into the overflow. it's like $2 at the petstore.

FeedingRing.jpg

Not set on pellets, but that's a good idea, thanks man!

Question: isn't disturbing the sandbed like restarting a cycle? Whether it is 2" or 6" deep the surface is no longer th surface and the bottom is no longer the bottom so things living in the sand have to re-settle. That would give diatoms the opportunity to bloom while the live sand get adjusted to it's new environment, right?

I don't think disturbing the sandbed is like restarting a cycle. I used a gravel vac on my bc14 every time I did a water change, but maybe because I did it so frequently?

I don't think disturbing the sandbed is like restarting a cycle. I used a gravel vac on my bc14 every time I did a water change, but maybe because I did it so frequently?

In that case the sandbed never "settles." Simular to having active sand stirers in your tank. You don't have to worry about diatoms blooms on the sandbed, right?

Just trying to figure out if I'm learning or if not, how far off course I am.

In that case the sandbed never "settles." Simular to having active sand stirers in your tank. You don't have to worry about diatoms blooms on the sandbed, right?

Just trying to figure out if I'm learning or if not, how far off course I am.

Disturbing the sand bed can be a huge problem in an old tank with a deep sand bed. That being said I would clean it every chance you get if your not doing a deep sand bed. It won't restart the cycle but thing can get trapped under the sand and your tank will thank you.

Also you have crushed coral not sand so it is much easier to clean and easier for it to collect waste. I would clean it with each water change and it should do great.