Diatom bloom.. but why?

YHSublime

I came home to find a small diatom bloom in my new tank (like since 7:30am and 5:00pm.) I know that the layman explanation is silicates cause diatomes. The water is the same that I've been using in my 14 Gallon, I'm 99% positive we can rule out water (new RO/DI, new filters, no problem in my other tank.)

I know that the PO of the tank (I used his sand) was having pretty heavy blooms as well before I took it. He thought it was the lights. I'm fairly certain that it's probably from the sand not being properly rinsed before use, which is why it's popping up again, but I don't know. I'm guessing my answer is going to be watch my levels, and just wait, it'll go away. BUT, better safe with an ask, than sorry.

So some information about my tank.

57 gallons. 20 gallon sump.

Ammonia 0

Nitrate- .05

PH 8

Phosophate 0

KH 10

Calcium- I know this is a broad range, but my API test kit said the water should be a dark purple, it turned the darkest at 500 (but it also was considered almost dark in the 300 range, of course if you keep adding the drops... it's going to get darker, right?)

The salinity is 1.025

Temp: 79F

Lights:24 inch Hamilton Belize sun series 250 W halide light with dual T5's and moonlight leds,

Yesterday: 8 hours on 250W + 1.5 blues at night.

Today: 250 W for 8 hours

Anything else I'm missing?

Its still a new tank even though you used some "live" and "established" rock and sand.

Did you clean the sand at all before using it.? Also your rocks probably had plenty of die off as well..

Its still a new tank even though you used some "live" and "established" rock and sand.

Did you clean the sand at all before using it.? Also your rocks probably had plenty of die off as well..

Nope. I just picked it up, kept about 2" of water in there, and used it again.

Still there is some die off that occurs. It will clear up later. Heavy skimming may help. I know you are not a Ozone man so I will not go there.

Research it . Just wait it out, or you could get some Chemipure Elite

Did you know the person you got this from.? Was it a reef tank or fish only.? How long did has the sand been in that tank.? I would be VERY skeptical of just reusing someones sand.. Also without a skimmer your filtration is really minimal right now. I would keep an eye on your parameters right now.. What other means of filtration are you using.?

You may also want to position your powerheads on the sides...can't explain it, but when I had my powerheads on the back glass I had algae problems...After moving to sides, it was gone in one week...strange...

You may also want to position your powerheads on the sides...can't explain it, but when I had my powerheads on the back glass I had algae problems...After moving to sides, it was gone in one week...strange...

Like you know anything about a tank like this..! :happy:

(edited)

HAHA...well I do agree most of the problem is because of the not-so-fresh start-up and lack of skimmer (is this correct?)...patience and a skimmer may be the answer...did I say patience???

As far as the powerhead placement, I was always limited due to the massive Duncan (RIP) and would go through months of algae blooms and frustration...I would change feeding habits, clean pumps, change bulbs, replace RO/DI, carbon/GFO, etc, etc, etc, but after Duncan was gone, simply moving the powerheads to the sides cleared it in a week and I've never had a problem since...

Edited by John

Did you know the person you got this from.? Was it a reef tank or fish only.? How long did has the sand been in that tank.? I would be VERY skeptical of just reusing someones sand.. Also without a skimmer your filtration is really minimal right now. I would keep an eye on your parameters right now.. What other means of filtration are you using.?

Kinda. It was a Reef tank, no fish. The sand was fairly new. You're right though, I don't have a lot of filtration hooked up. Just a filter sock stuffed with filter floss, and I'm running some carbon in the sump. I'm not concerned about the sand being really old and harboring a bunch of trash, I could ask the PO how long and where it came from. I plan on running a skimmer by this weekend, but keep in mind, I'm only feeding for 2 clowns, and it's only been stocked for 4 days. That's 2 clowns in almost 80 gallons of water, and I did a 15 gallon water change on the first day.

I agree with those style pumps and and the center overflow they would do best on the sides as well..

I'm only running the pump on the left, the flow back in the tank is strong enough, but I will put them in the middle and see what happens!

I have some smaller powerheads rated for the same size tank, I'll maybe try those.

Your sand should be fine, was just curious .. Definitely get that skimmer up and running though...

You probably actually have around 60 gallons of total water. You have to account for rock, sand and that your 20g sump shouldnt be full.

I would put your one pump on the side glass facing more towards the middle, not actually put it in the middle..

Your sand should be fine, was just curious .. Definitely get that skimmer up and running though...

You probably actually have around 60 gallons of total water. You have to account for rock, sand and that your 20g sump shouldnt be full.

I would put your one pump on the side glass facing more towards the middle, not actually put it in the middle..

Touche. I'll move the pumps when I get home tonight. Skimmer planned for this weekend.

what kind of phosphate test are you using? just odd that you have nitrate but nothing on phosphate. it looks like your tank may still be cycling? it should go away on its own, but you can always employ a phosphate, nitrate absorbing device. i purchased the upflow algae scrubber from santa monica to do this for my tank.

you can always get a loc-line splitter for your return as well and have that go in different directions..

That's thinking! Think it would be enough for the SPS?

what kind of phosphate test are you using? just odd that you have nitrate but nothing on phosphate. it looks like your tank may still be cycling? it should go away on its own, but you can always employ a phosphate, nitrate absorbing device. i purchased the upflow algae scrubber from santa monica to do this for my tank.

I'm using API test kits. I tested 2x. Could I put the scrubber in the sump? My glass is too thick, and it would keep it clean up top by putting it below.

i would put it in the sump reguardless. they just released a new version that can be used on glass up to 1/2 inch. might be worth putting together a group buy since they give discounts based on the amount of units ordered.http://www.santa-monica.cc/Hang-On-Glass-HOG-Upflow-Algae-Scrubber-UAS-with-Green-Grabber-surface--1-Cube-feeding-per-day--MAGNET-VERSION_p_36.html

Nothing against scrubbers, but keep it simple for now. Your tank is new, and really doesnt have much of a bioload. More add ons can lead to more problems, especially when youre trying to dial your tank in correctly. Wait on adding reactors, scrubbers etc, you may not even need them.

You might see phosphates because theyre being consumed by algae/diatoms.

I would keep the powerheads and add the splitter on the loc line. I would recommend a wave maker for your pumps or get a controlable pump.. Personally with a nice rimless tank you should get a vortech, you really dont want cords in there (i know Ive said that before) .. SPS love flow, but you dont want constant blasting of one spot. Proper flow is by far one of the most important things. Not just with corals but also with algae issues... <- trying to get back on the subject.

Nothing against scrubbers, but keep it simple for now. Your tank is new, and really doesnt have much of a bioload. More add ons can lead to more problems, especially when youre trying to dial your tank in correctly. Wait on adding reactors, scrubbers etc, you may not even need them. You might see phosphates because theyre being consumed by algae/diatoms. I would keep the powerheads and add the splitter on the loc line. I would recommend a wave maker for your pumps or get a controlable pump.. Personally with a nice rimless tank you should get a vortech, you really dont want cords in there (i know Ive said that before) .. SPS love flow, but you dont want constant blasting of one spot. Proper flow is by far one of the most important things. Not just with corals but also with algae issues... <- trying to get back on the subject.

Yeah, not concerned about a scrubber or dosing atm, but definitly something I'm interested in. I will settle with a skimmer, re-working my flow, and like "ride" said below, I'll do some water changes working the sand bed with a siphon. I really don't think it's that huge a deal atm, it's a pretty natural process, I had it happen in my 14 gallon, after I added my new sand, and it worked itself out about a week, maybe a week and a half later.

The sand could be harboring unwanted animals, parasites and nutrients.

Always go with new sand, only seed from a trusted source.

This hobby is teaching me a lot about hindsight.

patience young grasshopper. nothing good happens fast in a reef tank.

diatoms are the first stage of the algae cycle. they will die off eventually.

drink a beer.