LED Optics & Spread

LCDRDATA

I recently had to rearrange the configuration of one of my tanks, and as a result the Par30 LED lamps I am using are closer to the surface of the water than the original setup, and so the installed 60o optics are now too narrow. Other than removing the original optics and replacing them - which may or may not be doable, and probably not by me - how might I increase the spread? Raising them up to the original height is unfortunately not a viable option. Any ideas?

Can you move them forward and then rotate them backwards so they point back a little?

I've already done that to some extent; unfortunately the goosenecks they're on are not stiff enough to hold the larger angles necessary.

Can you add a little clear reinforcement (maybe a nylon monofilament loop) to the gooseneck to help lock in a better angle?

(edited)

Could you put some of that diamond pattern clear diffuser material over the end of the lamps? The stuff they encase office fluorescent lights in.

Looks like the picture here: http://www.fluorolite.com/

Edited by AlanM

(edited)

par 30's and 38's are usually best done in track lighting setups. this gives the most adjustability and keeps everything at the same height. you can use a combination of optics and emitter colors to give the best possible coverage.

This is 4) P38's with 40 degree optics in the center and 2) 60 degrees over a very deep tank. You can see the banding at the top, but when it reaches the bottom, it's blended perfectly. I put this light system together more than 3 years ago and it's doing fine as of last night.

003.JPG

This is 12) P38's on track with adjustable pendants. Nearly 3 years old. (old picture from the beginning of the build- only shows 8 bulbs.)

light system.JPG

Edited by zygote2k

(edited)

Could you put some of that diamond pattern clear diffuser material over the end of the lamps? The stuff they encase office fluorescent lights in.

That's a thought, but I wonder if that wouldn't spread it too much. Other experience/opinions on this option?

Here is my setup before the move. The only real difference now is that I've replaced the bungee cord with heavy cable ties:

gallery_2631918_925_14116.jpg

At the new height, I don't have the "head room" to angle the lights as shown here, so they're separated by about 6" and parallel to the surface. With the hook on the end of the arm, I've been able to pull the light on the end somewhat higher using a cable tie, but there's nothing comparable to use to raise the other two. Moreover, there's a definite limit to how far up I can raise even the one nearest the hook before the attachment starts slipping.

Edited by LCDRDATA

I like Rob's suggestion. Maybe get a different fixture for the lights instead of the goosenecks. Track lighting could be really low profile. You could also diy one out of individual light sockets from HD or Lowes and mount them through holes in a board or something.

Change the optics or get a new one with 90/120 ......

Pretty simple to change out on most......got a pic.

You may be able to use it with no optics if its really close.

Change the optics or get a new one with 90/120 ......

Pretty simple to change out on most......got a pic.

You may be able to use it with no optics if its really close.

I've contacted the company to find out if changing out the optics is possible and/or something the customer can do. I figure that's probably the best option, but don't want to void the warranty, especially because they've already replaced one free of charge even though it was past.

I build and modify these things regularly and they are pretty simple to work with. You change the optics with four phillips screws on the front. They simply sit in place without any buckets.

402079_10152013985625595_828061796_n.jpg

394578_10152014022165595_1946943197_n.jpg

391459_10152014023635595_1839862840_n.jpg

418488_10152013969145595_2087319977_n.jpg

576138_10152014024610595_1734885082_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I finally heard back from the company and they said they no longer carry the 90 degree optics but that I could remove the existing ones if I wanted. So, does anyone out there have some optics available for a reasonable price? I'm looking for ~20. Am I correct in assuming they're all more or less interchangeable? Thanks!