Marc & Mike's 375 Gallon In-Wall Build

My friend and I decided to set up one of his tanks in my basement. It's a custom-made 375 gallon acrylic tank that's triangular-shaped. Only the front pane is visible due to the way it was designed. Total water volume is around 625 gallons. We added around 600 pounds of well-dried rock seeded with rock from both of our existing tanks, added a liter of rowaphos in a reactor, and let it take off. Phosphates have never been above .01 yet. It's been running for around a month now. The initial cycle was completed with fish food and has finished and we added 8 baby chromis today.

Here is a youtube video of the tank in its prime before he tore it down. We hope to reach the same level someday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnO3ylY2cTc

Display Tank is 375 gallon custom acrylic with a rear-overflow with 2 1.5" drains

Frag Tank is a standard 125 gallon glass tank

Sump is a 125 gallon Rubbermaid

Skimmer also holds around 50 gallons

Display return pump is a Reeflo Super Dart Gold

Frag return pump is a Pan-World 100PX

Flow in display tank provided by an OM 8-Way on a Reeflo Hammerhead

Flow in frag tank will be 4 Tunze 6105's

Display tank lighting will be 4 400W Reeflux 12k halides supplemented with 36 royal blue Cree LEDs.

Frag tank will be lit with 2 250W halides and supplemented with 18 Cree royal blues.

Skimmer is a Volcano 1860. It's huge and working great. Check out the bud light can on top of it in one of the pictures.

System is on an Apex controller.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are going to build an acrylic shallow in-wall mangrove tank/fuge with miracle mud for decorative purposes in this hole. We'll probably put a few banggai cardinals in it and breed them.

110_0314.jpg

110_0318.jpg

And finally, the fish enjoying their new home!! More progress to come soon. We are building the fuge next and will continue to transition my existing tank's fish and coral to this one over the coming months. Not to mention some cosmetic upgrades (most notably some new nozzles.) We made these with a blowtorch.

110_0323.jpg

Holy Moly! i love the look of the brick around! I can't even begin to fathom this tank...

Amazing job! Loving that skimmer as well! If you guys need any help with anything let us know, Boonsboro is not far from us at all!

Thanks!! I'll let you know if we do. I'm going to visit you sometime. My wife wants me to set up a separate LPS/softy system as well which will be my existing tank re-purposed. She loves to watch coral move (she thinks SPS are boring) so I'll come there when that system is ready and check out your coral. At least she likes the hobby!!

wow... simply insane.

One note, I see the pvc is burnt. Too late now, but burning pvc releases extremely toxic chemicals.

These are going to be thrown away soon. I didn't realize that. Good thing we did it outside. Thanks for the heads-up.

Thanks!! You are welcome to stop by anytime if you can endure the drive.

I'll bring the Wrangler out, theres some trails that way!

Wow good job on the previous grow out! Looking forward to this one. The rockwork looks about the same as last time though, your not going to change anything?

Naah no changes. That's the best way to aquascape this tank. That way the table corals can grow out into the center.

My buddy Mike finished building the mangrove/fuge tank. He used 7/16" acrylic and plumbed it into the main tank overflow with a valve so it's gravity-fed. The mangroves have been loosely zip-tied to an acrylic strip until they root into the substrate. We put in some pods and a few nassarius snails from the tank upstairs, as well as a red-legged hermit. He likes to hang out on the mangrove roots.

110_0339.jpg

110_0341.jpg

110_0342.jpg

110_0343.jpg

We moved all the fish from the upstairs 220 into the tank and all of the live rock into the 125 temporarily to keep the biological filter going. So far so good. The test coral (red monti digi) looks like it is happy so far.

110_0346.jpg

110_0347.jpg

110_0349.jpg

110_0350.jpg

110_0351.jpg