CaptainRon's 200 Marineland Deep Dimension

CaptainRon

And now, thanks again to LOTS of help from my Dad.... Lights!

IMAG0565.jpg

The light frame is 3/4" aluminum angle. The corners are mitered and are held together with picture frame corners - I'm very happy with how it came out. I finally transferred everything out of the 50 gallon rubbermaid container my reef has been sitting in for what seems like years now. I just plunked the corals in the tank - I'll be placing them in proper location over the comming weeks. The LEDS make everything look very very blue, and adjusting the color ends up making things look washed out or gray. The back of the tank is actually blue! Here's a couple more shots.

IMAG0564.jpg

IMAG0570.jpg

IMAG0571.jpg

And now, thanks again to LOTS of help from my Dad.... Lights!

Well we all know he is the brains behind the operation !!!!!  :laugh:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey everyone. The lights are doing great still. Colors of the corals are great under the lights too. The tort hasn't grown much yet but is still doing well. Color is looking great though Paul!

Awesome! It grows pretty slow for me I struggled to find a good spot for it and am still doing so after cutting it, it also has not liked the changes I made to our tank so hopefully I can keep it alive! I actually put some d120's up too and like them so far.

• 4 weeks later...

The frag tank in process. Got the painting completed on the frag tank stand today and put it in place. There's a rat's nest of wires at the base right now that I didn't take a photo of, but suffice it to say, this stand isn't going anywhere! Although I may add a tie-back to the wall behind it since the top of the tank is about 42 or 44 inches tall.

The tank is a 45 gallon deep blue profesional frag tank with a footprint of 48 x 18. At only a foot tall, I thought it about perfect to go over my 75 gallon sump. The frag tank will be lit with a pair of D120's. I also still need to drill a pair of holes in the tank for the return and drain. I'm considering going with a glassholes overflow too.

20130728_150056.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Hopefully getting plumbing done today. Did some of it last weekend but needed more parts and didn't want to go out again - made a trip to Home Depot this morning and I *think* I have everything I need! Wish me luck!! :)

Edited by CaptainRon

Water is flowing through the frag tank now too! Also got the manifold providing water to the recirc Avast skimmer and have the manifold ready to supply water to my GFO/Carbon reactor. It's all being run off of a DC10000 pump - I'd love to get a flow meter to measure how much water is coming out of this thing. The manifold is powering the following:

- Two Display Tank Returns

- Frag Tank Return

- Return to Refugium

- Skimmer

- GFO/Carbon Reactor once I turn it on

The powerhead in the frag tank is a Colbalt Neo-Flow 10000 I picked up at Quantum Reefs last weekend. I got two of them and put one in the frag tank - it seems to do a great job of pushing water around - when I was making salt water, I filled up the frag tank with RO/DI water and added salt. The salt was easily getting pushed from one of the 4-foot tank to the other. I added the second Cobalt to the display tank today to get some additional flow across the back of the tank and it made a very noticable difference even though I already have a Tunze 6105 and MP40 going at full blast in the tank. If these pumps hold up well, and I don't see why it wouldn't, it's a Colbalt, I think this will be a great little pump to have around.

20130818_175142.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Captain UPDATE! FTS!!!!! :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

+1

I haven't done a full tank shot in a while. If I did, what you'd see is a nice coating of red all over the sandbed :) Went I hooked the skimmer feed up to the manifold, I reduced skimming dramatically for several weeks while I got things dialed in. It was shortly after that, that the red stuff came kreeping in. I think between that and overfeeding way too much for the fish I have was just a disaster waiting to happen. Add in skipping a water change here and there and skipping recharding the kalk reactor and things have just been kind of stagnant. All in all, the tank doesn't look too bad - just haven't had great growth lately. But things have started to get back into shape lately so that's a good thing  :)

I did add a long tentacle plate from Quantum Reefs today. It looked really nice in their tanks - when I got it in my tank the tentacles were out and swaying in minutes!

Here's two shots of it from my cell phone camera. The first one with flash, the second one without. Somewhere between these two shots is what the coral really looks like!

20131103_172402.jpg

20131103_172434.jpg

thanks for the update. i know how busy life can get sometimes. i say post the cyano covered sand bed reef tank goodness!

Uhg!

So much to fix in here! LOL

20131103_180528.jpg

thanks, haha! the deep dimension really does add the extra umph. i will keep that in mind on the next build. let us know how things work out in the next couple weeks as time allows!

I knew that plate would look good in the tank. Good choice Ron.

Thanks! I was tempted to get the larger one too but ended up liking the coloring better on this just slightly better :) it was great talking to you!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

What a difference a couple weeks can make.

Did a bunch of maintenance today - water change, skimmer cleaning, kalk stirrer recharging. Unfortunately while clearning my kalk stirer I dropped it and the port that drains the kalk into the tank broke off. I think it'll be easily fixable - just need to get some acrylic solvent.

20131117_210223.jpg

Added a sock to my overflow this morning. Going to give collecting detritus a go.

20131117_132002.jpg

Tried to get a shot of some corals. This is the only one that came out half way decent. I had turned all the blue LEDs off for these shots.

20131117_194320.jpg

Managed to get just one of a fish too.

20131117_194442.jpg

And last but not least, a new full tank shot, without quite so much red on the sand. It's still there in some spots, but much lighter than it was two weeks ago and hopefully on its way out.

20131117_194148.jpg

Thanks Kim. I think getting rid of the frag bombs on the sand bed helped too. Makes me feel better about it anyway :)

Looking good! How's the tort doing?

Thought I'd give you an update... still slow growth, but it looks really really good. The lights had already started to go down when I took this shot - the polyps are usually a little bigger and a very cool green. The base color is also much better than I was able to capture. Definately one of my favorite corals.

IMG_1356.JPG

And now just some more coral and fish shots.

IMG_1360.JPG

IMG_1361.JPG

IMG_1362.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

IMG_1367.JPG

IMG_1368.JPG

IMG_1369.JPG

IMG_1371.JPG

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG