YHSublime

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lmk if you're chopping up any of those zoa's

How does zoa dominated 180 sound?

Excited!

Just got my 5' Reefbrite in from ERC and I am WOWED. I had to have one when I saw them over the frag tanks. It does not disappoint. My only regret is that I could not afford TWO! I will once I get situated and can be frivolous. Super excited about getting the 8 bulb T5 over the new tank with this thing.

New tanks are very exciting for me. I hate the plumbing, and I hate the wait on the cycling, but I LOVE the aquascaping. I want to get dry rock for my next build (look at me, already planning...) and really work on the aquascape, cementing things together, zip ties, the works, even collecting those awesome pieces of rock that you see along the way through the hobby, and save them for a dream tank.

I think the 180 will be a real trail. Hopefully not by fire. Stay tuned!

Excited!

Just got my 5' Reefbrite in from ERC and I am WOWED. I had to have one when I saw them over the frag tanks. It does not disappoint. My only regret is that I could not afford TWO! I will once I get situated and can be frivolous. Super excited about getting the 8 bulb T5 over the new tank with this thing.

New tanks are very exciting for me. I hate the plumbing, and I hate the wait on the cycling, but I LOVE the aquascaping. I want to get dry rock for my next build (look at me, already planning...) and really work on the aquascape, cementing things together, zip ties, the works, even collecting those awesome pieces of rock that you see along the way through the hobby, and save them for a dream tank.

I think the 180 will be a real trail. Hopefully not by fire. Stay tuned!

Pictures?  Everything is better with pictures...

You want a picture of a stick of LEDs? I'm a huge picture taker, but trust me, I can't capture this blue in my tank personally. I need some training or gels for that! Patience, grasshopper!

You want a picture of a stick of LEDs? I'm a huge picture taker, but trust me, I can't capture this blue in my tank personally. I need some training or gels for that! Patience, grasshopper!

lol.  Patience is my continous New Years Resolution.  :tongue:  I may need your advice soon on aquascaping if I go with that 30 deep Andrei offered me.  I'll need to raise my rockwork up, etc.  Can't wait to see your new tank in the new house!

I take it based on your t5 bulb choice and reefbrites, you're going towards more of the "windex" box look?

Not sure what look that is, but if it's excellent, crisp, and phenomenal, then yes. Yes I am.

So jealous of your new reefbrite, we have been looking at adding one (maybe 2) to our t5 light system.

Are you just doing t5 and reefbrite this time or (month) around? :)

So jealous of your new reefbrite, we have been looking at adding one (maybe 2) to our t5 light system.

Are you just doing t5 and reefbrite this time or (month) around? :)

I won't make promises, but I think so.

Not sure what look that is, but if it's excellent, crisp, and phenomenal, then yes. Yes I am.

All blue look. Like a bottle of windex.

All blue look. Like a bottle of windex.

Negative.

You don't have to go blue with T-5. The Reefbrite is for the evenings and mornings, not 24-7

Didn't you say 7 of 8 bulbs are blue+? That's supperrrrr blue

Yes sir. But I'm starting out as blue as I can get, and then working towards a color combo I really like. This is my first rodeo, and I plan on finding out what works for myself. I was advised to start as blue as I can stand, and then work down to a whiter spectrum, which I am sure I will have to do at first.

My ATI coral plus bulbs are super white, I'll be able to swap at least two of the blues for them to see if that gets me close enough to what I'm looking for, who knows.... yet. 

Yes sir. But I'm starting out as blue as I can get, and then working towards a color combo I really like. This is my first rodeo, and I plan on finding out what works for myself. I was advised to start as blue as I can stand, and then work down to a whiter spectrum, which I am sure I will have to do at first.

My ATI coral plus bulbs are super white, I'll be able to swap at least two of the blues for them to see if that gets me close enough to what I'm looking for, who knows.... yet. 

I think that's a smart approach, because you know you'll use the B+ bulbs you may pull for color...because you'll aways have B+ bulbs running that you'll need to replace.

I'm interested to see how you like the ReefBrite with that setup. Did you get HO or regular Tech? I like by 18 led normal/Tech output ReefBrite paired with a 39w B+ and 39w C+. You may need at least two (or more) ReefBrites to see them through a full 8 bulb fixture with all T5 on. However, I bet you'll see them easily with just two bulbs on durly the early or late parts of your photoperiod.

Edited by matt

I think that's a smart approach, because you know you'll use the B+ bulbs you may pull for color...because you'll aways have B+ bulbs running that you'll need to replace.

I'm interested to see how you like the ReefBrite with that setup. Did you get HO or regular Tech? I like by 18 led normal/Tech output ReefBrite paired with a 39w B+ and 39w C+. You may need at least two (or more) ReefBrites to see them through a full 8 bulb fixture with all T5 on. However, I bet you'll see them easily with just two bulbs on durly the early or late parts of your photoperiod.

I agree, we will see. Lighting is last of the concerns on my list. First up is plumbing, moving the tank, drilling a return, and getting it "cycled" before I have to move all my fish and rest of my corals over! The HO 8 bulb fixture will provide me with enough par to grow everything, and I probably won't even care what it looks like for the first month and a half of stress.

As for the reefbright (which I realized I was spelling wrong this whole time, I thought they were clever and went with brite vs. bright, guess not upon a quick google search) I went with the Tech. I couldn't afford a XHO right out of the gate, although in hindsight, I really, I mean really wish I could. However, I think that 2 of them (I plan on another one once I can) will beat just one XHO, and will give me a nicer spread from the back to the front, vs. just the left to the right. I don't plan on using the reefbright while I run the T5's, honestly, with the 2 Coral Plus bulbs I have on my tank now and the addition of the reefbright, it's close to impossible to tell, at least when you're standing right by it as I was. I plan on using it as an accent before and after for me to enjoy the tank, similar to what I did when I had the radions, running just blue in the AM, and then blue at night. I'm sure it will be super blue in the AM, or the beginning of my photo period, but I'm usually not here to enjoy that.

I agree, we will see. Lighting is last of the concerns on my list. First up is plumbing, moving the tank, drilling a return, and getting it "cycled" before I have to move all my fish and rest of my corals over! The HO 8 bulb fixture will provide me with enough par to grow everything, and I probably won't even care what it looks like for the first month and a half of stress.

As for the reefbright (which I realized I was spelling wrong this whole time, I thought they were clever and went with brite vs. bright, guess not upon a quick google search) I went with the Tech. I couldn't afford a XHO right out of the gate, although in hindsight, I really, I mean really wish I could. However, I think that 2 of them (I plan on another one once I can) will beat just one XHO, and will give me a nicer spread from the back to the front, vs. just the left to the right. I don't plan on using the reefbright while I run the T5's, honestly, with the 2 Coral Plus bulbs I have on my tank now and the addition of the reefbright, it's close to impossible to tell, at least when you're standing right by it as I was. I plan on using it as an accent before and after for me to enjoy the tank, similar to what I did when I had the radions, running just blue in the AM, and then blue at night. I'm sure it will be super blue in the AM, or the beginning of my photo period, but I'm usually not here to enjoy that.

Of course, first things first. Ha - myself, I filled my 90 with fresh but haven't plumbed the sump in yet to really fill it. Hopefully sometime soon...life keeps getting in the way.

Are you experimenting with the ReefBrite over a currently stocked tank? If not, don't worry. I think you'll see it with two T5 bulbs when you have coral to view. The C+ are fairly bright and white though...two by themsleves is probably stiff competition. SImilar to you, the XHO are a bit out of my range. I bought my Tech used. Still, I like that there is more heat sink per led in the Tech fixtures given they're passively cooled.

Continuing to follow along...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've been more absent lately, but great news to report. Living room floors are complete, and my stand has arrived. Now I've got to crank the bedroom, closets, and hallway out as quickly as possible so we can clean up, paint, and get rid if all this freaking dust!

b52d751716e718136185f74f7efd9705.jpg

3f926a67817d15a3c2722162a89b2243.jpg