anemone/rbta splitting

monkiboy

i started up a nem/clown tank a while ago with my 46g in-wall. it's running fallow while i figure out what clowns i want in there and get them through QT.

in the interim, my nems have been doing wonderfully. i only keep BTA for now and will be adding some rock/flower nems down the road when i find some spectacular pieces.

i've split nems in the past or fragged them manually for friends but have not had a nem tank of my own to see it happen naturally.

i did some research and some folks describe a rather quick one-day process. others mention a much longer splitting progression. this had me curious about some RBTAs i picked up from yauger about a month or two ago, one of which seems to be splitting.

sorry for the crappy cell phone pics but is this what it looks like to you?

20130211_125807_zpsdb95506d.jpg

20130211_125816_zpsd409683f.jpg

20130211_125825_zps2907f268.jpg

what i see more pronounced every day is the fold/split on the left center side of the anemone which move deeper and deeper towards the mouth.

is the split including the foot and mouth? does the split normally occur directly in the middle when it happens naturally?

anyone have any photos of their own to share?

thanks for any information you can provide!

oh, and i've always been a fan of target feeding nems for optimal growth. usually an appropriate size of shrimp or silversides that they accept and don't "throw up" about once a week or so.

what have you used or fed and in what schedule that you believe has helped natural splitting?

My large one split once (in the past year). It was about a basket ball when it split. I also have some green tip BTAs (4 now), split 3 times from an original GBTA. I have yet see the clone one split.

All mine natural spit naturally. Once split, (my observation) they shrunk down and do not fully inflate for about a week and usually won't take any food.

hey chuck thanks for your reply. how long did the splitting take? did it start from the middle and go straight through the foot and mouth? or does the foot of the parent stay intact and the mouth splits?

hey chuck thanks for your reply. how long did the splitting take? did it start from the middle and go straight through the foot and mouth? or does the foot of the parent stay intact and the mouth splits?

all mine split over night ( I am sure it probably start much earlier than that). I did not actually witness the whole process (would have been awesome!). So far, I haven't able to observed any sign prior to splitting. But the clones are always smaller then the parent and mouth are intact. Also, I read that the reason it split due to stress. but personally I don't think that claim is true! This hobby always packed with surprises and we all learning new things all the time!

Just pick up a new Ultra green BTA from IC! I guessed a new video on my nem tank is due (need to add more blue lighting though!)

Edited by flooddc

thanks guys for the info.

scott, i gotta come take a look at your tank again as i don't remember the nem but it was also bed-time for the tank last time i was there. do you feed your nems and if so, how often and what?

chuck, defintely post up a video when you get a chance. i'm really taken with nems lately and am constantly looking for rare and vibrant colored BTA.

scott, i gotta come take a look at your tank again as i don't remember the nem but it was also bed-time for the tank last time i was there. do you feed your nems and if so, how often and what?

I don't really feed it. I will catch food and my clowns host in it, which I believe helps to keep it healthy. They seem to be happy because they are always breeding! It has been in the same spot for many years and the clones split and stay in the same spot. I actually changed my lighting schedule because the lights were going off too early. Stop by anytime!

chuck, defintely post up a video when you get a chance. i'm really taken with nems lately and am constantly looking for rare and vibrant colored BTA.

You can check out my "old" video" under my signature (just copy and paste the youtube link). I'll take new one once my new nem settle down.

I started out with one RBTA. I now have 6 from the original, all natural splits. Sometimes, they are equal size, but once the split resulted in a tiny one. I don't hink it even had a mouth. However, it too has grown and become a regular size. The coolest split, and the only one I observed, was when I changed tanks and one of them pulled itself apart over a rock shortly afterward. Wish I had filmed it.

The original RBTA in the tank had gotten pulled into a power head and all that was left was a piece of the foot about as big as a thumbnail. I was sick with the mess and thought i would scrape that off the next day. Decided to let it stay since it was alive, and now 6 anemones later....

When mine split it always split by the foot upwards, not from the disc. Two sides of the foot will basically walk or stretch in opposite directions while tearing the column and the disc into seperate parts. Once started it normally takes less then an hour.

I think the base to one you pictured is moving deeper into the rock and the rock is causing the disc to look like that.