Help Planning Tank Position in an Apartment

Jason Rhoads

A recent thread sparked my curiosity about where I should be placing my tank in my new apartment.

I will have two placement options 1 & 2 in the below photo. My question is can anyone figure out which way my floor joists are running based on the floor plan for my apartment, and if not are there any tips for figuring this out once I am on site (obviously ripping the floor or ceiling up to check is not an option).

My tank is 100g with about 30g in the sump.

post-2633534-0-37342200-1360615254_thumb.jpg

Does the place have hardwood floors? They are often (but not always) run perpendicular to the joists.

I'd say that option 1 is the better option. You'll have more structural support against an external wall than towards the middle.

Take my advice with a grain of salt. There are others on this board who know more about home building than me.

Are you on a ground floor? I don't see stairs and there is an optional garage. If so, you are probably on a slab and it doesn't matter.

Regardless, I would put a tank in either of those places. A 100g isn't really all that heavy and unless the place is real old I wouldn't think it would have a problem.

Where is the other apartment attached?where the garage area is or just the bedroom side? If these are onky 1 apartment deep but side by side, your joists likely run from you deck to the back dining room....or structural integrity...if your in a 4 plex situation it could be anyones guess...unless you feel like taking the ceiling fans down to see how the ceiling joists run,lol

Also, have you informed the complex about the tank? Most don't allow tanks that large without additional insurance

If the floors are cement, you can put the tank anywhere. The problem with cement floors is that they seem to always be slightly angled toward the walls (I've been in 2 places with cement floors and this was the case in both of them), so if that is the case, you might need to use shims.

Another consideration in an apartment is the walls. The paint on the walls in most apartments is flat paint, and saltwater eats right through and damages the drywall. Take my advise and cover the wall(s) and baseboard(s) near the tank with plastic, or you may be paying for drywall repairs.

Also, the carpets are probably not yours, so you need to protect them. You may want to put something under the tank with raised edges, to keep any possible floods from getting to the carpets. The raised edges will give you a brief time to get the situation under control before the water can get on the carpet, but how long that is, depends on how high the edges are.

With no other references, I would guess that it will be framed in three parts. It is more economical to build with repetitive units. You have three more or less equal 12' spans across three sections and all the walls stop against the edges of those divisions. (The joists are running in the East - West direction) So spanning multiple joists would say put the tank in location 2.

Edit: Also, you won't have a shear wall in the middle of a room because it makes floors hard to finish. As the building moves they would crack or deform noticably so you put those areas in a doorway or in a wall. 99% sure it is E-W

Edited by fry_school101

Does the place have hardwood floors? They are often (but not always) run perpendicular to the joists.

I'd say that option 1 is the better option. You'll have more structural support against an external wall than towards the middle.

No hardwood floors, they are fully carpeted. I was thinking the same thing (outside wall = good) but I am no engineer. Thanks for the input!

Are you on a ground floor? I don't see stairs and there is an optional garage. If so, you are probably on a slab and it doesn't matter.

Regardless, I would put a tank in either of those places. A 100g isn't really all that heavy and unless the place is real old I wouldn't think it would have a problem.

We will be on the second floor. The only thing I am worried about is running the tank parrallel to the joists and having the floor warp under the weight.

Where is the other apartment attached?where the garage area is or just the bedroom side? If these are onky 1 apartment deep but side by side, your joists likely run from you deck to the back dining room....or structural integrity...if your in a 4 plex situation it could be anyones guess...unless you feel like taking the ceiling fans down to see how the ceiling joists run,lol

Also, have you informed the complex about the tank? Most don't allow tanks that large without additional insurance

I am almost positive that these are attached at the beadrooms and open on the garage and deck sides, but I don't remember and cannot tell for sure from the pictures online.

I am paying the extra rent for pets and have paid the additional pet deposit. :)

If the floors are cement, you can put the tank anywhere. The problem with cement floors is that they seem to always be slightly angled toward the walls (I've been in 2 places with cement floors and this was the case in both of them), so if that is the case, you might need to use shims.

Another consideration in an apartment is the walls. The paint on the walls in most apartments is flat paint, and saltwater eats right through and damages the drywall. Take my advise and cover the wall(s) and baseboard(s) near the tank with plastic, or you may be paying for drywall repairs.

Also, the carpets are probably not yours, so you need to protect them. You may want to put something under the tank with raised edges, to keep any possible floods from getting to the carpets. The raised edges will give you a brief time to get the situation under control before the water can get on the carpet, but how long that is, depends on how high the edges are.

Not sure if the floors are cement. Good info on the walls, I was not aware of this happening.

Look at the roof. The joists will typically run perpendicular to the longest joint where the roof parts meet, or parallel to the pitch (does that make sense?).

I think I understand what you are saying. From the pictures I can find online, the roof "peaks" in the middle of the unit (living room). Will this hold true even with buildings that are 3-4 high?

With no other references, I would guess that it will be framed in three parts. It is more economical to build with repetitive units. You have three more or less equal 12' spans across three sections and all the walls stop against the edges of those divisions. (The joists are running in the East - West direction) So spanning multiple joists would say put the tank in location 2.

Edit: Also, you won't have a shear wall in the middle of a room because it makes floors hard to finish. As the building moves they would crack or deform noticably so you put those areas in a doorway or in a wall. 99% sure it is E-W

Would the wall on location 2 be load bearing? Sorry, I am unfamiliar with what a shear wall would be. Having the joists run east to west makes sense to me because they would be spanning a shorter distance than if they ran N to S. But that does go against the joists following the roof.

Thank you all for the responses. The complex is very nice and the units seem well made and fairly new. They are listed as luxury apartments if that means anything at all.

Currently I am on the 3rd floor of a similarly built apartment and there are no problems with my tank as (I think) the floors are cement. I am not sure if they will be the same in the new apartment because we didn't have a ton of time to look around the place while we were in the area apartment hunting.

thanks again everyone, and if any of this new info helps please let me know what your thoughts are. I really dont want to have to drain and move the tank once it is in place :)

Yes, they would be if it is framed in three parts.

Is this a freestanding "house" or is your unit part of a larger structure?

Part of a large structure containing ~30 units per building.

I just found a picture that shows that there are infact units attached to both the sides (at the bedroom) and back (where the garage would be) of our unit.

Here is the link to the apartment's photo section:

http://www.ridgeleig...an-dorn/photos/

Edited by Jason Rhoads

you guys are way over thinking this. A 100 gallon tank and associated stuff is approx 8sq.ft. and weighs less than 1000lbs.

That's 125 psf. Nothing to worry about unless your new aprtment is built with matchsticks.

Fill it up.

you guys are way over thinking this. A 100 gallon tank and associated stuff is approx 8sq.ft. and weighs less than 1000lbs.

That's 125 psf. Nothing to worry about unless your new aprtment is built with matchsticks.

Fill it up.

Have you watched the construction of the newest buildings? OMG! Deserves a few more !!!!!!!

Out of curiosity as far as tank-associated fees for apartment dwellers, are they going to charge you any fees or deposits, or require a special addition to renters insurance policy? If they are charging as monthly fee, is it because they want to make up for extra utility use? Today I finally got my landlord to drop the outrageous $75 /mo fee to $25!

Out of curiosity as far as tank-associated fees for apartment dwellers, are they going to charge you any fees or deposits, or require a special addition to renters insurance policy? If they are charging as monthly fee, is it because they want to make up for extra utility use? Today I finally got my landlord to drop the outrageous $75 /mo fee to $25!

$350 non-refundable pet deposit PLUS $40 extra per month in rent. I pay all utilities so the extra charge doesn't go to that. Renting in the DC metro area is EXPENSIVE to say the least.

I really love my fish :)

Did you try pushing back? I did and ended up with no pet rent and a refundable deposit. They had a hard time explaining why if there was no damage they needed an extra fee. The rent for fish is also rediculous. The only reaosn they could every justify rent is for a dog if there is extra maintenance due to tenants not picking up and/or utilities. Fish don't leave the apartment and you are paying utilities - no reason for pet rent.

I did not try to push back. We were on our way back to Charlotte when we found the place and didn't have any time to negotiate. Plus, I am not sure if it would have done any good. We were talking to a low-level leasing consultant and it was Sunday, so getting in touch with the boss wouldn't have happened.

I will negotiate when our lease is up if we are not in a house by then.

Honestly we were just happy to have found a place. I am taking a pay cut to take this new job (worth it as I will be in a more rewarding career) and the price range we had severely limited our options. I also LOVE being close to where I work so I really wanted to be on the metro line with a ride of < 30 min.

I'd still call them and talk about it. Ask them if they understood it was fish. Really, pet rent for fish? They should feel pretty silly.

I actually just sent them an email :)

I will let you know what happens.

Looks like it is a no-go for any type of a discount on the pet fees:

"Jason,

Unfortunately, we are not able to negotiate the pet fees. We have make to be fair and consistent and charge everyone the same for pets."

I wouldn't have even mentioned it and just brought it in. That's what I've done at my apartment. Unfortunately you've already brought it to their attention, and it sounds like they wont let it go.