Is it soup yet?

stankyd

What used to look like this

8117091197_74856c511d_z.jpg

In about a week it turned to this when my UV sterilizer went very bad. The only thing that seems to really have a problem are the zoos.

8459372550_0504722a8d_c.jpg

i just installed the TMC Vecton V2 600 25 watt UV Sterilizer. Care to guess how long it will take to clear up??

D.

Your getting close to what I had. I finally used algae fix marine and It cleared up in a day. But you do need to find the source of the phosphates in your system.

Here are some clues.

Using a 5 stage R/O with 0TDS,

The only other phospate source I can think of would be food. I feed Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday only on this 300g tank its quite a small bioload.

I grow chaeto in the sum lit 24hours and i pull about half of it out every 2 weeks. Great growth. Even with the chaeto, I get subborn hair algeae in spots.

Skimmer - TUNZE DOC PROTEIN SKIMMER 9011 rated for 264 gallons

I am dosing 2 part calcium a capful once a day

The only other phospate source i can think of would be food or perhaps the rocks themselves these rocks had no problem in my last tank but i had a much larger skimmer.

Arragonite sand bed.

I suspect I need more water changes - doing 1 40g per month - does everyone do their changes with R/O?

I do water changes either every week or every other week depending on my work schedule, ....and it looks like your skimmer is right at its limit. Might want to consider a bigger skimmer down the road. I would suggest doing a couple of water changes in the next couple of days and adding GFO to help clear it up.

what are you feeding and how much are you feeding for each feeding? a lot of people prefer more smaller feedings than large feedings once every 1-3 days. i agree that you may need to do more water changes. once every other week works for many people.

I suspect I need more water changes - doing 1 40g per month - does everyone do their changes with R/O?

I use R/O for my water changes. A 40g per month can be fine if you have a light bio-load and your nitrates are staying low.

What are your tank parameters at?

Well at end of 2 days, its really cleared up. No noticeable change in skimmate.

8465976849_a660d91a98_z.jpg

Regarding bioload, here are about a dozen small fish clowns, a tang, damsels etc.. Taking it slow and easy. Have had no fish deaths to speak of since setting up. Very light coral load too and they surprisingly look pretty happy, showing nice growth and color. About to install led's over the tank soon. Will post my water params. My major annoynance is the hair algae and I cant seem to find anything to eat it.

Dave

My major annoynance is the hair algae and I cant seem to find anything to eat it.

Dave

When I was having some really nasty hair algae problems, the one thing I found that would eat it were Mexican Turbos - nothing else touched it. No guarantees, obviously, but you may want to give them a try.