Xenia taking over

YHSublime

Either way I like them, and i have enough of the Xenia about!

Right, but it's possible that those brown buttons have way way more palytoxin in them than a zoa does, so be careful going around them to cut the xenia. After the recent rash of stories, I'm kind of scared to have any Palythoa in my house.

Those look more like Anthelia to me rather than Xenia. All the Xenia I have seen has multiple heads per stalk.

Either way, you should be able to peel the "mat" off the rock. Get a razorblade under it and once started they usually peel off with no problem.

In my tank the Xenia lose to my palys so they can act as a natural barrier for the Xenia. However, in my experience the best method of control is to isolate them (Xenia) as they can spread very quickly.

get rid of the brown palys now while you still have a chance. same goes if it's anthelia. both of these species can easily overrun a small tank.

+1 and be very careful with those brown palys. Gloves, eye protection and even a mask if you try to frag/remove/kill etc. Very dangerous. If you try to remove them I would cut around the rock, bag it up and toss them in the trash. Do not boil, scrub or anything that will break them up because the toxin will get everywhere. I'm sure you probably know all this but I rather post it and not have someone get poisoned. If you need help I would be happy to cut them off the rock for you with a saw.

Right, but it's possible that those brown buttons have way way more palytoxin in them than a zoa does, so be careful going around them to cut the xenia. After the recent rash of stories, I'm kind of scared to have any Palythoa in my house.

I just always wash my hands when I'm done playing in the tank.

Those look more like Anthelia to me rather than Xenia. All the Xenia I have seen has multiple heads per stalk.

Either way, you should be able to peel the "mat" off the rock. Get a razorblade under it and once started they usually peel off with no problem.

In my tank the Xenia lose to my palys so they can act as a natural barrier for the Xenia. However, in my experience the best method of control is to isolate them (Xenia) as they can spread very quickly.

My plan is to keep them up in a corner until I get my 45 built. Is that still too small?

get rid of the brown palys now while you still have a chance. same goes if it's anthelia. both of these species can easily overrun a small tank.

^If I put them in a 45 isolated, will that be a problem you think? I think it's very pretty, but of course would rather not have my tank overrun. I need to clear space for some of my other frags anyways.

+1 and be very careful with those brown palys. Gloves, eye protection and even a mask if you try to frag/remove/kill etc. Very dangerous. If you try to remove them I would cut around the rock, bag it up and toss them in the trash. Do not boil, scrub or anything that will break them up because the toxin will get everywhere. I'm sure you probably know all this but I rather post it and not have someone get poisoned. If you need help I would be happy to cut them off the rock for you with a saw.

I'd rather not get poisioned! Like I mentioned above, I usually wash my hands really well after playing in the tank. I'm going to try and trim the anthelia back, and just put some peices in bags on Friday for those who care for any on Sat. As for the Palys, I've got quite a few in the tank. The ones on that rock I'll probably just chissle off the rock and put in another corner... bad idea?

I don't want to be looking into a tank of just palys and anthelia 6 months down the road with Robs words echoing in my head.

So I guess the question of the day is: Can I move them into my 45, or is that still a small tank for both species?

While I'm thinking about it, can both the different peices of Frogspawn I have be grown next to each other? I know they also grow fast and sting things in the tank, as Jimlin warned me.

if you intend keep both tanks and to grow sps in the 45 in the future, i suggest skip the softies in the 45 and start out with easy sps and some lps. softies tend to grow faster and have been known to move around the tank. keep the small tank as is and trim as needed.

Some soft coral also exude compounds that will inhibit the growth of SPS coral around them (I read that somewhere long ago and cannot remember where I got it).

I like having Xenia in my tank because my clowns have hosted it and that keeps them from beating my hammer and frogspawn to death. Also when it pulses it is mesmerizing. Just keep it on its own island and you should be fine; if isolated it will not be able to spread other than by dropping heads which you will be able to control without problems.