Question about adding multiple fairy wrasses

MBVette

So Im going to want to add a bunch of fair wrasses down the line and always look at LA to see which ones I will want to add. I see they usually only have males of most of the different species. When adding multiples do you want to add all males or all females? I figured you would want to add females to avoid the territorial fights, but I guess they will change to males so does it matter?

well generally you can add males of different species the way that you are asking but some species are more aggressive than others. withe examples you left i would say add the lubbocks first and the scotts last in terms of agression and max size.

Yeah I can add them all at once as long as I can find them all from a vendor at the same time. Im not looking to do it for a couple months since there are a few fish I want to add before then.

So add in pairs and add them at once?

Here are the wrasses I have been thinking about. Granted I dont know that I will get all of them, just ones I am interested in.

Scotts

Labouts

Exquisit

Lubbock

Then I am going to want to add a pair or trio of a flasher wrasse. So If I added say 3 of those pairs and then the pair or trio of flashers would that be ok?

If you value those magnificent colors adding fish as pairs is preferred, otherwise colors on singular wrasse will diminish.

+1

It is really tough to get the females. The guys at Blue Zoo Aquatics have been willing to help out.. There are many beautiful wrasses available, so I think it is important to get the right male/female ratio, and be flexible on the species.

^agree...

Also, Pacific Island Aquatics carries females (and females are important).

Wrasses are my favorite types of fish. In my experience, any peaceful wrasses will get along great amongst themselves and with other peaceful wrasses. Aggressive wrasses are aggressive to all tank mates and should not be in confines with a peaceful wrasse.

I currently have a yellow corris (canary), a McCosker's and a melanurus and will be adding a lobucks, solon, naoko and radiant.

So since you mention radiant is it reef safe? Live aquaria lists it as "with caution" and some people have it listed as non-reef safe; but others have it in their tanks. How are they in a reef tank?

And does it follow the same for the rest of the Halichoeres family?

Often time "reef safe with caution" means that they will eat tube worms/feather dusters. They also eat pods making it hard to keep a mandarin but mine is fed by hand. The positive side is that they keep a lot of coral pests at bay and sometimes eat parasites from other fish. Corals are left alone.

The radiant is one of my favorites. I had a 4" full grown one in with large cleaner shrimp and astrea snails and it didn't bother them. It would go after stomatella snails like candy. I doubt it would hurt your limpets because of their shell design.

I saw a radiant for the first time when I was over at DaveS's house, it is a beautiful fish. As you said I think the limpets would be fine since when they are grown they are completely under the shell unlike the stomatella which only has that very small shell.

No,,,there are many coral nippers that are labelled as "add with caution" such as pygmy angels...

Though a lot of the fish with this label are normally shrimp/invert eaters...

Whenever I am interested in new livestock and it is listed as "not reef safe" or "reef safe with caution", the first thing I do is look for the experiences of others which might show what it will actually eat, giving them this designation. In the case of wrasses, some will eat feather dusters, worms, crabs, snails, etc... A lot of fish are safe with one type of coral but not with other. To give you an example, it is safe to keep an Emperror angel in an SPS tank.