Is this a reef safe iodine?

Curtis Scott

It's Lugol's Solution 2%.

When using it to dip fresh cut frags into, about how many drops should I use in 1/4 gallon container of tank water?

Also, does anyone dose their tank with this everyone now and then, if so how much?

Lugol's Solution 2%

Edited by Curtis Scott

Lugols is harsh on SPS. If you plan on dipping them, I would stick with Revive or Coral Rx.

I would not add it to SPS tank. There are better alternatives, if you need to increase iodine/iodide. They are difficult to measure, though. You should be getting enough of it with regular waterchanges.

It should be safe as a dip. (Not commenting on effectiveness of iodine - only comparing it to other forms of Lugol's.) It's only 2% solution, rather than the typical 5% that we see in this hobby. Normally, you'd use about 10 drops per quarter gallon to produce a dip. However, you'll need 2.5 this to make up for the concentration difference. Therefore, my thoughts are that you'd use 25 drops per quarter gallon of water to prepare your dip.

It should be safe as a dip. (Not commenting on effectiveness of iodine - only comparing it to other forms of Lugol's.) It's only 2% solution, rather than the typical 5% that we see in this hobby. Normally, you'd use about 10 drops per quarter gallon to produce a dip. However, you'll need 2.5 this to make up for the concentration difference. Therefore, my thoughts are that you'd use 25 drops per quarter gallon of water to prepare your dip.

Exactly the info I was looking for, very informative. Thanks Tom

I agree Marinap, that the iodine is not the best option as a dip. It is a cheaper way to go but it is an oxidizer that can actually burn the coral and can cause them to brown out. Just watch the duration and concentration of the dip. Coral Rx is the best dip in my opinion.

• 6 months later...
(edited)

Resurrecting this tread:

I purchased a few salifert test and plan to slowly start dosing this if it's needed. My colors are on the pale side and I am in the process of ruling out potassium, iodine and strontium just to make sure these trace elements are within optimal range. 

Is this product a good one (reef safe, effective) for dosing iodine in a SPS dominant tank or should I consider getting a different one? 

Edited by Curtis Scott

I have been dosing 5% Luguls for about 30 years so it seems safe. I use 8 drops about once a week in my 100 gallon. Of course sometimes I forget for a few months.

Resurrecting this tread:

I purchased a few salifert test and plan to slowly start dosing this if it's needed. My colors are on the pale side and I am in the process of ruling out potassium, iodine and strontium just to make sure these trace elements are within optimal range. 

Is this product a good one (reef safe, effective) for dosing iodine in a SPS dominant tank or should I consider getting a different one? 

Pale corals.  Have you tried amino acids?  Aminos will darken pale coral tissue.

I have been dosing 5% Luguls for about 30 years so it seems safe. I use 8 drops about once a week in my 100 gallon. Of course sometimes I forget for a few months.

Do you actually test for it? What brand are you using?

No I don't. My tank was tested about 5 years ago by a lab and the iodine reading was just about zero.

It's called Integra. I got it from a pharmacist many years ago.

(edited)

2% Lugols is what we used back in the day when dosing Iodine. Not many people do it anymore.

Cool, so this product will work and is reef safe?

Pale corals.  Have you tried amino acids?  Aminos will darken pale coral tissue.

I was using Brightwell Amino, but switched to using Pohl's Coral Vitalizer and Xtra Concentrate a little over a week ago and have already started to notice some improvements in color and growth. Once I check my levels of iodine, potassium and strontium, I will start to dose these as needed. Since I purchased this iodine a while back, I wanted to make sure it is reef safe and will work. 

Here is some info from Randy Holmes-Foley on dosing Iodine. I used to dose it but never tested for it. Just dosed small amounts with the understanding it would break down and be removed very quickly.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/#17

Thanks for the link, I'll read through this now.

Edited by Curtis Scott

Here is some info from Randy Holmes-Foley on dosing Iodine. I used to dose it but never tested for it. Just dosed small amounts with the understanding it would break down and be removed very quickly.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/#17

Good read. So I guess I should look at purchasing this product instead, if needed.  - http://www.marinedepot.com/Kent_Marine_Super_Iodide_Iodine_Iodide_Additives_Supplements-Kent_Marine-KM3173-FIADII-vi.html

Good article. I especially appreciate the end section on trace element supplements.