anyone with experience with nikon d-40 camera

pizzaguy

I know absolutely nothing about photography. I set it to auto and take picks that's it. Obviousely that simply will not work for taking pics of coral and fish. So I'm looking for some help with the settings on this camera to get good pics of livestock. I looked online and followed a couple tutorials with no luck. It either looks like 5k bulbs with no color or everything in the tank is solid blue with no flash. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

my 3100 allows me to play around with the colors of the picture after the picutre is taken. if it is just the colors you are not happy with, perhaps you can look into this as a option.

There should be a setting under white balance w/in the menu screen where you can adjust the Kelvin that you are photographing. I would play around with that.

You have a some options. I'm guessing that you shoot jpegs given the "auto" setting? This applies the camera setting when the shot is taken = not as much correction is possible.

A) Shoot RAW - this will allow you to modify the white balance with software, you have the freedom to change it to match the look you're after (requires software such as photoshop elements, lightroom, Capture NX2........)

B) Try all the white balance settings, see which one comes the closest. Given the over abundance of blue in most aquarium lighting you can start with "cloudy" - that's pretty warm.

C) Create a custom white balance, guidelines in the link below.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081227133350AA72vgq

You don't mention the lenses that you're using but I would suggest getting a macro lens and a tripod for the coral pictures. I bought a Sigma 105mm 1:2.8 from a guy at work for my D40X and have been happy with it.

As for my pictures, I've been doing like you - setting it on Auto and snapping the pics ... it works for me but I am neither a photographer nor an artist .. I have no talent for that :-(

RAW=NEF on Nikons, FYI.

English please. I know nothing about cameras. I'm gonna mess with it more this weekend.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. Gonna mess with it over the weekend.

I have a D40. An entry grade SLR. If you can afford better, go for it, but it's not a bad camera.

Any suggestions on settings if you have one?

Any suggestions on settings if you have one?

I agree with both comments - but really learn the D40 first. It's very good & can do anything up to some really advanced stuff.

Sorry about the RAW term. Raw is basically the data as it comes from the camera, In Nikon's case they are called .nef files. Jpeg images are processed by the camera using the settings you've given it (i.e. white balance). The raw data allows more manipulation in post processing but does require some knowledge/software/effort.

IIRC - (big if there) you can hit the "i" button 2x and in the upper right is the quality setting.......select that & change it to RAW.

I'd just try all the White Balance settings first & then create a custom one, that requires a gray card - a few bucks @ the photo shop.

Edited by ErikS

Cool. I'm sure I have more questions after this weekend when I get to mess with it again

Haven't messed with it yet but should there be a button that says raw??

Sorry just read the last couple posts about the raw settings.