plumbing question

jamal

i have an undrilled 125gal. that i want to use as a refugium. i have 1 u-tube overflow but i am not familiar with how these work. i want to run water from my rubbermaid sump to the tank and back. the sump is under the display and the 125gal. is to the right of that by about 2 or 3 ft. when facing the tank.

Not really sure what your trying to do. You want water to overflow from the tank, to the 125 fuge, to the sump, then back to the tank? I've never used one of those overflows, but my suggestion is to drill the 125 especially if you're using it as a fuge. Using an overflow tube is just asking for it to get clogged with macro then overflow. Even better would be to drill two holes for overflow so you have one as a fail-safe.

I agree that drilling it would be best. I had a u tube overflow on a 75g and was constantly having to stick airline up one side and suck the air out to keep a good siphon. I may have had a pump/overflow mismatch though.

Edited by Jason Rhoads

you are correct about my attentions L8torise. you also make a good point. where is a goo place to get my tank drilled in the dc area that doesnt cost too much

Not sure many lfs would be willing to drill it since it's a liability, but you could try calling brk and ask johnny about it. They have the kits to drill it yourself sometimes too. It's not hard, just have patience and keep the water running.

you are correct about my attentions L8torise. you also make a good point. where is a goo place to get my tank drilled in the dc area that doesnt cost too much

I hear there's a class in your living room that's about to happen. You better sign up for it.

with no experience i am a bit apprehensive about trying it myself. there arent any glass shops that will do it?

It's not worth going to a glass shop, they'll charge you a lot if they're even able to do it. Even with no experience, it's easy! If you really don't feel comfortable, I'm sure there's someone on wamas that would be willing to have you over their house to help you drill it, or even come to your house for a frag or two (as zygote suggested). I have several different bits and would be willing to help out if I weren't at school...

thanx L8 i appreciate that and i also agree with your point. how much do the drill bits usually cost. does someone have a 1" drill bit i can borrow and preferably some assistance.

No problem! Not to over-suggest myself, but it's usually safer to go with at least 1.5in overflows. I wouldn't make an overflow that was smaller than that if I could avoid it. With that said, if you can't find one from someone else, I definitely have 1in and 1.25in drill bits at home, I may also have a 1.5 in and can check if you'd like. You could pick them up but they're a little ways out of DC in Herndon.

i appreciate suggestions. what makes your recommend that size though? i dont mind driving to herndon though.

thanx L8 i appreciate that and i also agree with your point. how much do the drill bits usually cost. does someone have a 1" drill bit i can borrow and preferably some assistance.

PM me.

Anything smaller and it's very easy for snails, fish, and other things to get stuck in the overflows and elbows. 1.5in and up usually leaves enough space that nothing will get stuck and it'll just flow all the way through instead.