Tank is still cloudy

MBVette

Do you plan on having a heavy bio load? I'm with Bob on this one, I think too much too quick....maybe not enough bacteria yet to support the load.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan, Im not running a UV. I had one on the old tank, not sure if I will run one now.

Steve, I like fish so I will probably wind up with a pretty heavy bioload. While I do agree adding a few big fish in durring this timeframe, but the cloudiness started before I added the fish. It all started not long after I put the sea hare in to fight the hair algae. As the hair algae started to go the cloudiness built up. So while I do think this is some type of bacteria bloom Im not 100% sold it has to do with adding some of the fish to soon.

I believe your cloudiness is due to carbon dosing via Biopellets. The bacteria is ramping up to get ahead of the bioload. When the water clears, it will be crystal clear. One factor that maybe attributing to the length of cloudiness is your skimmer. What kind of skimmer are you running.

Carbon dosing (vodka, sugar, vinegar, biopellets, etc) requires a STRONG skimmer.

So after talking with a few people I have gone ahead and taken both my biopellet reactor and carbon reactor offline. I dont know if/when I will get the BP back up, but I will probably turn the carbon back with a smaller amount when everything clears back up.

Im going to do a big water change tomorrow 40-50 gallons, and possibly another on Saturday to clear this stuff out of the tank. Hopefully by this time next week the water will be clear.

I'm not so sure about that. Tank is 24" deep and I can't see the back wall. It's actually kind of cool, fish just appear like coming out of he deep when they come out from behind the rocks.

Put carbon back on. The bio pellets turned my tank cloudy also. Turn it off ran carbon and two days later it was clear again. This was after is was cloudy for two weeks

I meant to ask....how much circulation do you have in the tank? On a scale from 1 - 10........ 1 being low and 10 being high.

I have 3 mp40's running at around 60% and a waterblaster 10k running fully open as the return. So I think I am moving water pretty well in there.

If I turn everything up I would probably %$#* off my torch and frogspawn.

Do you know if he has them turned up.....I'm just trying to see if he truly has good water movement and air exchange

Put carbon back on. The bio pellets turned my tank cloudy also. Turn it off ran carbon and two days later it was clear again. This was after is was cloudy for two weeks

I don't have any new carbon sitting around, I'll need to order some new since I had just replaced this. I have not tossed the carbon yet, but I think I might be best running a wet skimmer and nothing else.

I have it setup that the mp's create movement throughout the tank and the pump provides surface agitation and pushes anything across the tank into the overflow.

Its been about 16 hours since I took the biopellets offline and the tank is dramatically clearer right now. It is by no means clear but I can see my clownfish for the first time in weeks (they hang out in the back corner)

Glad to hear it. Will be clear by Sunday I bet, maybe tomorrow...just leave the pellets off.

I threw the pellets out, if I want to add them later on I will just buy some new ones. No point in storing them for months when I might never put them back online.

I will need to buy some new carbon though since I have thrown that out as well, but will probably turn that back on after the tank clears up.

I have plenty of carbon if you need some....but then again so does every LFS.

Told ya it was the bio junk. Same thing happed to me. Steve was the one that pointed that junk out to me. If you run carbon now it will be clear over night.