Heater size?.....

Demeat50

http://www.amazon.com/ViaAqua-Titanium-Aquarium-Heater-300-Watt/dp/B005345YLI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356748701&sr=8-1&keywords=viaaqua+titanium

Does anyone know if this heater (300 watts for 80 gal) is the right size for my setup? This will go in my sump (20 gal) that feeds into a 265 gal display. I only have 14 inches to work with in the sump.

The only problem is you aren't going to be able to heat 265 g from a 20 g with any size heater if its more than 2 or 3 degrees...why such a small sump? I have a 20g on my 50 g DT....

sump size has nothing to do with whether or not a heater will heat a larger volume of water. the circulation of the water is more of a factor. get the biggest heater that will fit in the space provided it doesn't touch the acrylic.

I run two 250 watt heaters in my tank. One using temp dial on heater and one using my controller. Depending on your room one 300 might not be enough to keep up

depends on ambient temp as well. i have 3 300 watt heaters and a 250 watt and that isnt enough because the room is cooler. so that is a factor

I think it's depending what equipment you are running in the tank as well. I have a 300W in my 175+G total volume, The heater barely run at all (set @ 75), most of the temp come from my equipment. But if I were to get new one I would go with a largest titanium! (those glass one are quite scary).

I always figured a good starting point for heater sizing is 3 to 5 watts per gallon. I have a 250w eheim jagr and a 500w finnex titanium in my 250g volume setup and they come on regularly in the colder months to keep my tank warm at night since it's in the basement. I rely on some heat being generated by my return pump, various powerheads and a Mag12 to keep things warm also.

So I got the ViaAqua 300 watt titanium heater in the mail. Tested it in my bathtub yesterday and just put it in my sump. DT temp is 74.3 so I set the heater in the sump to 80. Will see what it takes to get tank up to 76. If no results from the heater in sump, will keep it in DT I guess. It doesn't look that bad.