Hello From Leesburg

Hi everyone. Just thought I'd introduce myself. Just joined, but have been learning this hobby DIY in a relative vacuum for eight years. But I know a few of you guys and look forward to meeting more. In the process of growing out a new reef, rock from liveaquaria, frags from atlantis, DrMac, another local fellow but don't know his username yet. Will post pics later.

Hey I like your screen name.

I'm always surprised on a new forum that Piper is even available. I've been going by Piper when I could since getting involved in computer bulletin boards in the late 80's, even owned piper.com at one point. Still no time to post pictures though. Swamped. Busy busy time of year.

Hello,

A BBS'er eh? Welcome. I remember those days. I used to run a WWIV board named the Black Hole BBS with my friends. Sometimes I miss playing TradeWars2002....

Yeah, I was big into it. I ran a 16 line system called Ground Zero BBS that started on Falken software and ended up on TBBS. That actually launched my tech career. My next day job was running a couple of TBBS systems for the federal government, a 64 line system and a 16 line system, both for the SBA. That turned into networking and cloud, etc.

Here's my tank.It's a 220gal display with a 60gal sump, two cheapie T5 hoods with 20 36" bulbs, blue plus and blue special mostly, couple rows of figi purple and couple rows of aquasun. 1/3 chiller. Massive reef octopus protein skimmer. Myreefcreations calcium reactor. Makeshift refugium on the sump which is actually plumbed out to the garage. I'm fooling around with some new insulation if you can tell, not quite cut and in place yet perfectly. There's an ozonizer pictured as well, but I stay at about 250-300 orp without it so it's off and jobless.

Wow, very nice!!

Thanks,man. I should also give a mention to FishnReef who sold me some of the larger items as whole colonies. I needed it looking good quickly for a company party. Over the last couple of months, I've added a bunch of frags. Everything is growing well, but at early stage still. Needs a couple more years to grow in.

That actually launched my tech career.

Me too. I used to manage the workstations for my division, from design to surplus and everything in between. Now I am a DBA for several databases, and one very very large one that's double top sekret.

Here's my tank.It's a 220gal display with a 60gal sump, two cheapie T5 hoods with 20 36" bulbs, blue plus and blue special mostly, couple rows of figi purple and couple rows of aquasun. 1/3 chiller. Massive reef octopus protein skimmer. Myreefcreations calcium reactor. Makeshift refugium on the sump which is actually plumbed out to the garage. I'm fooling around with some new insulation if you can tell, not quite cut and in place yet perfectly. There's an ozonizer pictured as well, but I stay at about 250-300 orp without it so it's off and jobless.

Awww mannn. I just got de-throned. I was the T5 bulb king around here with 14 over my 135. One of these days, i'm gonna get me a chiller. Nice tank though. I like the Powder Brown, I have one myself.

Thanks, everyone. Matt, that's a darn nice offer, sir. Look forward to meeting you at some point. I'm well past up and running, all is stable and growing well. I have very light coralline growth at this point,at least light on the pink. I was actually able to save huge amounts of red coralline growth on this last crop of rock, some other colors as well that are losing out over time. I cycled the rock for months with everything up and running, reactor, skimmer, and saved large amounts of the original growth, Otherwise, other than the large colonies purchased, some of my frags are still very small, but I'm good and stable. This is actually my forth tank iteration. Learned pretty much everything the hard way at one time or another. Got a good bead on things now though.