Calcium Reactor or Dosers? What are you using?

swffan

I would love to hear everyone's opinion on this topic. Which method do you use? Why did you choose the method you're using? Have you tried the other method?

I have done Kalk, Ca Reactors, and dosing in various combinations. I like dosing 2-part the best. It is easy to control and nothing to go wrong. I always used to have problems with my Ca reactor drifting out of tune or clogging up.

I use kalkwasser and a calcium reactor that includes calcium magnesium carbonate (dolomite) chips in the media to supplement boost magnesium. The reactor is probably the most complete, balanced dosing approach of any as it basically dissolves coral skeleton material to replace minerals being taken up by coral skeleton growth. Amazing. I'll supplement with two-part chemicals if I want to correct an imbalance or tweak my parameters (such as running at a higher magnesium level for a time).

Kalk is great stuff, but it has it's limits if you dose it as top-off water. At some point, your coral growth is just too great for kalkwasser to keep up. It does give you a nice, high pH, though. Calcium reactors will tend to push your pH down because of residual CO2 in the effluent (some people run the effluent through a second calcium carbonate chip stage to try to bleed off some of the CO2 - this works). Kalkwasser can help balance this. Two part is also good. I can't knock the principles behind it. Over the long run, though, you need to keep up with water changes to make sure that you're not building up an excess of sodium and chloride ions from dosing calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate. These extra sodium and chloride ions, over the long run, tend to build up salinity and upset the ionic balance in the tank. This can take years, though, depending upon the dosing regimen.

Dosing pumps and calcium reactors basically perform the same function. Both have the ability to provide calcium, alkalinity and magnesium. Dosing pumps have an added benefit of dosing additional additives such as iodine, iron, vinegar, vodka, etc. I have used calcium reactors for over 10 years to maintain Ca, Alk, and Mg.

Which method is better for maintaining Ca, Alk, and Mg? Both. Flip a coin.

I use Kalk and a Ca reactor. Kalk tends to drive pH up and the Ca reactor tends to drive pH down. I use a dosing pump on both set ups. I dose as much Kalk as I can for the amount of evaporation I have on my tank (3 gallons a day) and then keep the Ca level in the tank at 430 with the Ca reactor. This leaves my pH at 8.1 in the morning and 8.3 at night just before lights out.

On the Kalk stirrer, I run RO/DI through the dosing pump so as not to clog the lines. This water is dosed into the Kalk stirrer and then it overflows into the sump. Never any chance of a Kalk dump or line clogging.

On the Ca reactor, I run the output line from the reactor to a dosing pump and then from the dosing pump into the sump.

Using a dosing pump on both systems allows me to fine tune the Alk, Ca, and pH in the tank.

Bruce