I need serious help!

pettyrd

I am seriously at my witts end here.... One day away from testing my new 45 acp on my tanks glass....

I have had cloudy water for about 5 days. And when I say cloudy I mean, I can hardly see my rocks.

My tank levels are all good:

Temp: 78

Ph: 8.18

Phos: 0

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 15ppm

Cal: 420

Alk: 20

So far what I have done is add lots of live bacteria hoping that it was just an instability In the bio filtration.... No change (3 days ago)

Then performed a 25% water change... No change (1 day ago)

Changed all the filtration media... No change (today)

So far two fish have died... The water is too cloudy for them to come out from the rocks and eat... Also a very large acro colony has died... My anemone is looking rough and my other fish are knocking on heavens door.... I have executed all options known to me. I am about ready to scuttle the ship.

If anyone can help, i would be very appreciative. I have lots of very nice pieces that I would hate to see die due to something I am overlooking....

Oh and my tank is about 4 months old and had already completed its ammonia cycle prior to the addition of livestock.

No, I haven't added anything new to the tank recently... Just a few pieces of sps... No new sand or anything that would stur the sand.

However, the skimmer is bubbling up a lot of "chalky" grey/white foam... Whatever that means...

Could be a bacterial bloom of some sort

That's what I thought at first... Added several types of anaerobic / aerobic bacteria to the tank ... And have seen no change.

Could be a bacterial bloom of some sort

Which will pull Oxygen from the system, that's why your losing fish.

Make sure to keep the skimmer running, and I would add an airstone and pump to the display.

This will help keep the oxygen levels up and hopefully you won't loose any more fish.

Edited by surf&turf

I hope he means 0.20mls which is high.

Sorry.... Typo... 10 dKH

Did you start using bio pellets, vodka, or vinegar?

None of the above.... Are these treatment options?

Make sure to keep the skimmer running, and I would add an airstone and pump to the display.

This will help keep the oxygen levels up and hopefully you won't loose any more fish.

Skimmer is going 24/7... I will add an air stone to see if that will save the fish. But I am more worried about long the coral and anemones...

Is there anything else I can do to remove the cloudiness...? I am really worried..

Skimmer is going 24/7... I will add an air stone to see if that will save the fish. But I am more worried about long the coral and anemones...

Is there anything else I can do to remove the cloudiness...? I am really worried..

Research Seachem Clarity.

I would do some water changes, your ph is still looking good, but your nitrate being at 15 ppm could keep feeding the bloom.

Doing some water changes would help lower the nitrate and end the bloom.

Edited by surf&turf

One thing that has saved my livestock (fresh and saltwater both) is judicious use of water conditioners such as Prime (Seachem or equivalent). Helps even during power outages. I 'm not sure if the lack of food is what killed your fish since most likely can survive a long time without food.

Personally I wouldn't do anything too drastic, maybe toss in a bag of carbon. Every 12 hrs dose it with a bit off Prime to keep nitrate in livable condition (until the bacteria recover). Use a syringe to target feed your fish, but i think you might underestimate their keen noses.

If it is a bacteria bloom then it is normally caused by waste or ammonia that the current bio filter can't handle. I would not do a water change unless you are sure it is free of ammonia. I would not change the filter media as you mentioned as that may further mess with the bio filter. Adding the bacteria products is good and they take several days to populate enough to cause the bacteria bloom to crash. UV is the fastest thing I've found to kill a bloom. Keeping up the O2 exchange as was already mentioned is important. Skim wet during this time as the skimmer can remove the bacteria particles and also helps with the O2 exchange.

Did u try an alternate test kit...those numbers look good...wondering if the reading reported is incorrect

No I have not... Good idea.

Any update ?... Curious as to what is going on

Nothing has changed... I am making water now. I will do a big water change tomorrow.