Urgent help with swallowtail

Fishie

I ordered swallowtail overnight ..and it got delayed by a day so I received the shipment after 40 hours...the swallowtail is breathing but on its side

Ph 7.3 in its bag...temp was very cold...acclimating it gently...but should I try and assist it to sit up straight or anything I can do to try and make it survive

i would aerate the water its in wtih an air pump to try and make things a little easier...usually its amonia that builds up and is the killer.

Was it in a breathable bag or?

Sorry i cant be more help and hope the fish pulls thru

I got it on its side and its breathing better...I also had a vlamingi that is now swimming...initially it was on its side too

I will prep a qt with slightly lower temp so they don't get a shock of near 79 degrees within an hour

Probably make a qt with 75 and raise slowly...idk

Trying to do w.e can't imagine them being on a plane for 40 hours in this cold

Dunno if it was breathable..but it was double bagged and there was some water leakage too

See all the more reason to support you LFS yea you may save a buck or two online but atleast you get to see the heath and look of the fish and then no worries of shipping delays. And more important you support local then if you need them and have an emergency you have someone to turn too. I have had close customer relationships or even friendships with LFS in all the places I have lived since I started keeping tanks in 1995 and I always buy live stock local and it has saved my tank more than once when I had an emergency. Just my 2cents.....

See all the more reason to support you LFS yea you may save a buck or two online but atleast you get to see the heath and look of the fish and then no worries of shipping delays. And more important you support local then if you need them and have an emergency you have someone to turn too. I have had close customer relationships or even friendships with LFS in all the places I have lived since I started keeping tanks in 1995 and I always buy live stock local and it has saved my tank more than once when I had an emergency. Just my 2cents.....

I do support the local lfs when they have what I want. The fish I purchased was rather expensive and wanted the guarantee. LA replaced the fish for free and a new one will be here on Friday.

One important thing not mentioned here is that low pH in the bag actually helps to protect the fish from ammonia poisoning because poisonous ammonia exists in the less toxic ammonium form. If you were to bubble or raise the pH of the water by blowing off the CO2, this ammonium converts back to the more toxic ammonia form. It would be better to add an ammonia binder such as Amquel to the bag before raising the pH or aerating the water in a bag that's had a long shipment time.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-02/rhf/index.php

One important thing not mentioned here is that low pH in the bag actually helps to protect the fish from ammonia poisoning because poisonous ammonia exists in the less toxic ammonium form. If you were to bubble or raise the pH of the water by blowing off the CO2, this ammonium converts back to the more toxic ammonia form. It would be better to add an ammonia binder such as Amquel to the bag before raising the pH or aerating the water in a bag that's had a long shipment time.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-02/rhf/index.php

Thanks added few drops of amquel plus to the bag

Love how I learn something new every day in this hobby. Thank you, Tom.

http://reefkeeping.c...2/rhf/index.php

(edited)

Swallowtail still lays on the side for the most part...but if I move it a bit with my finger it swims a bit then lays flat

And every so often it swims a little on its own

Dunno what else to do..it's in qt now with the tang...

Edited by Fishie

I got tired of looking at it laying on the side...so I picked it up and stuck it in front of my power head ..for few minutes...now it's swimming on it own...not a very elegant swim..but at least it's not laying flat on one side...it is trying to break the water surface as if its gasping for air...hanging near the top

The water can't be o2 deprived cause the tang is chilling and eating now!

Swallowtail angels like to eat from the surface of the water because of this they tend to burp and pass gas. I have 3 of them. Try feeding it.

I got tired of looking at it laying on the side...so I picked it up and stuck it in front of my power head ..for few minutes...now it's swimming on it own...not a very elegant swim..but at least it's not laying flat on one side...it is trying to break the water surface as if its gasping for air...hanging near the top

The water can't be o2 deprived cause the tang is chilling and eating now!

Swallowtail angels like to eat from the surface of the water because of this they tend to burp and pass gas. I have 3 of them. Try feeding it.

Good to know...let me take out those flakes

Ugh - it deserves so much better. Under the right lights their colors are magnificent. Enjoy!

Good to know...let me take out those flakes

Ugh - it deserves so much better. Under the right lights their colors are magnificent. Enjoy!

Deserves so much better ?...u mean food...I can't feed it ur food just yet in qt...when it gets to my dt I'll feed it ur food for sure

Thought I should update...both fish looking much better now...the tang went through a meth fw dip...20min! And seemed comfy ...I intended to give it 2 min but it did not seemed stressed at all..went into 2nd qt and its eating well...may go into dt very soon cuz I am going to skip prazi

The swallowtail is still in the original qt and is swimming at all levels in a more rythmic fish like manner...so if its eats today I believe it will pull through

Thanks all...I'll post pics when they both get into the dt...thanks again

Great! Wow, 20 min in FW dip and it survived. That's amazing.

Edited by Origami
Vendor Terms of Service

(edited)

Great! Wow, 20 min in FW dip and it survived. That's amazing.

Yea it's eating now too..fed it mysis and little food too...added prazi pro for it as well

I too was very surprised by the dip for the tang...I went back and tested if it was freshwater haha...I could have gone on...cuz it was swimming normal...but at 20 min I was far more stressed than the tang was..maybe vlamingi tangs are very hardy idk...may I got a boxer !

Edited by Origami
Vendor Terms of Service

just wanted to thank everyone for the input...both the tang and angel are now in the dt and looking good.

they way the vlamingi is eating he may outgrow my tank a lot sooner than i would like

I'm glad all are well. Unfortunately the vlamingii will indeed outgrow your tank. To me it is one of the fish that shouldn't be sold to the average hobbiest.

Holy cow. I just looked this one up on Live Aquaria. Maximum length of 2-feet? (I wonder how many every get close to this in a tank?) 360 gallon minimum tank size? It must have quite an appetite and, similarly, a lot of waste to deal with.