RO/DI under the sink adapter

SaltFire

Bought this adapter from Home Depot the other day. I really didn't want to pierce a hole in my pipes in case I wanted to uninstall it later. I'm also not a good DIY'er so soldering was out of the question. I went to get a sink adapter from HD and the guy suggested I get this instead. Other than the learning curb on my part and some teflon tape works with no spills, gluing or soldering. The best part I can remove it at any time and restore the original state of the supply line.

post-2633384-135154812234_thumb.jpgpost-2633384-135154808011_thumb.jpgpost-2633384-135154808061_thumb.jpg

@ dcreefer, Yes I have a float valve installed in my 35g Rubbermaid storage container. It works so far with out any issues.

@Rosco's Reef, I stuck the waste line down my bathroom sink drain. The bathroom doesn't get used often so its no problem.

I installed my RO/DI system in the garage on the same wall I have a bathroom sink on. So I drilled a couple of holes in the wall, ran the supply line under the sink cabinet and the waste line above the sink. Its a lot easier for me to repair a couple of small holes in the wall than a couple of holes in my piping. I just had to make sure I didn't hit a water pipe in my wall:blink: that would've been bad.

I'll pretty it up later for now it get's the job done.

post-2633384-135164622666_thumb.jpg

post-2633384-135164623621_thumb.jpg

post-2633384-13516462482_thumb.jpg

That's the way that I had it set up in my Ashburn home, too. When we sold the place, I just took my adapter out. No hassle at all. Since I had installed a saddle-drain on the P-trap, I did have to replace that. But that was cheap and easy.

Anybody else comment on the drain? I need to install a RODI under a sink that looks almost exactly like that. I guess I could do a saddle drain but don't really want to. Thx

Ross, some people run the drain line outside to a garden during the summer months. At least it gets used rather than completely wasted.

Ross, some people run the drain line outside to a garden during the summer months. At least it gets used rather than completely wasted.

I thought about doing that too...may change it later. Did you worry about you RO unit possibly freezing in the garage? Im thinking about insulating mine somehow.

My RO unit was never in the garage. It was in the basement.

Unfortunately for me the only place my wife would let me install it was the garage. I'll just have to keep an eye on it.

Thanks , for reminding me! I'm going to find some way to insulate it to keep the membrane containers warmer than the ambient air. My basement gets pretty cold too sometimes my garage feels warmer. I'll watch it this winter and move it if it becomes an issue. I've lived in warmer climates for the past six yeras so I have to get re-acclimated to the weather here.

Just curious, anyone else have their units in the garage?

I'm about to get one and install it in my basement. I plumbed in a dedicated line off the PEX manifold for the RODI to use, but for the waste I was considering using it to fill the washing machine. Does anyone have any experience doing that to have kind of a float valve to shut off the waste water or something? Was thinking maybe I could pop the top of the washer and drill a hole in the tub and put in a little John Guest fitting so that if it overflowed it would overflow into the utility sink next to it.

Or maybe it would be simpler to just put up a shelf with a waste water holding tank near the washer and have that overflow into the utility sink and just tap off that to fill the washer when we do a load.

I hadn't thought of possible ways to use that waste (but clean) water. I live in a condo and cannot bleed into a garden but the washer has some merit. Doesn't an RODI produce about waste water in about a 3:1 ratio? That would be a lot of waste water to try and save. What do others think?

• 2 weeks later...