Cleaning filter socks

AOberheim

I am new to employing filter socks as part of my system, I have a few very thick felt eshopps socks. I have read and seen YouTube videos of putting them in the washer(not done so yet), I have been rinsing them in the sink after 2 days of use, then soaking them in a bucket of water w/ 3 or 4 capfuls of bleach for a day then a good rinse in the sink and a rinse in ro/di water before replacement.

Any other advice or suggestions...what do you guys/gals do? tips on normal routines for changing/maintenance would be appreciated

I soak in water with regular bleach - not the scented one

Then rinse 5 times with tap water.

i'm not a fan of using anything other than water to something that will be in my tank. i have around twelve socks and just cycle through them. once i get about ten that are dirty, toss them all in the washer (no detergent or bleach) and wash with HOT/HOT cycle. turn inside out and once more and they come out looking freaking new!

daily?! oh no, i could never keep up with that. i don't use them at all 50% of the time because of the added maintenance and i'd rather let the goodies pass through and stay in water column even if i have some small particulates floating around.

the other 50% of the time, this will depend on your system, i change every 3-4 days. you'll see it start to clog and water level rise slightly in your sock especially with the felt socks (not so much with the mesh). the mesh ones are also MUCH easier to turn inside out (especially difficult with the plastic ring variety instead of the drawstring).

let us know how it goes!

I use the thick 200 micron socks and toss them in the washer (double wash, with hot water) never had an issue and since my sump is about 5 feet away from the washer machine I change my sock every 3 days or so.

I change mine once a week and always double wash them in hot water in the washing machine. have been doing this for years now and no adverse effects.