Who delivers quality Saltwater

dcreefer

I would like to do about a 40% water change on my system! Does anyone know of a service that can deliver high quality premixed balanced H20? (150g of the good stuff)

Thanks

I'm actually pretty surprised that no one else has looked into either utilizing this type of service or stepped up and began offering this type service...(hmmm)

No not like Deer Park or some company like that.

They sale "Real Ocean Water" boxed up on the net and they will deliver it via UPS. The water is harvested by Catalina.

I was looking for a local company that mixed, tested and delivered saltwater (or harvested & filtered ocean water)! Kind of how a pool company would mix and fill your swimming pool with chlorinated water so you don't have to.

Never thought about it...Is there a market for it? The water cost would be minimal, delivery would kill you, unless you were subscribing to other monthly services to spread the cost.

I could see where it would be a good service to add in a restricted delivery area, or as you said, with other maintanence services...

Really what your looking for is someone with an RODI, tds of 0, and a good salt mix with a station that could pump in (or pour in) for your water change?...could be interesting...

I know if the price was right I would have bought some this time! I have replaced 25g and I have 30g of freshwater that I am getting ready to mix. By Sunday evening I will have made an additional 30 - 40g of freshwater that I will have to mix.

Wife, school, kids, work and a bunch of other things is taking up my time. Paying a bit for high quality water delivered w/ a water change is worth keeping a few of my hours for myself.

I can make more money but time is the most important commodity, I never seem to have enough of that!

Now if I only had space for something like that

+1 I actually bought a 275g Tote and cannot get it to the tank room without removing the door frame, deep sink and drywall! Realistically, I can't even get it into my basement (narrow stairwell) and Upper Level Management (AKA the wife) said that I could not leave it in the kitchen (her nerve) :why:

Eventually, I plan to move it under my front porch...but I digress...

What do you think would be a good price to pay per gallon of high quality reef ph balanced H20 with delivery and water change in the District of Columbia?

:unsure:

Water storage tank - minimum 500 gallons - $600-$1,000

Trailer or vehicle that can tow 2-4 tons in weight gas mpg - 9-12 mpg @ $3.50-$4.00 per gallon

Salt mix at about $25-$30 per 200 gallon mix

Guesstimating RO/DI and water costs themselves, I would say each gallon costs about $1.50 to make, if not more unless you've got good wholesale/pallet pricing. Factor in transportation costs of average 25-30 mile round trips at about $8 in gas each trip, for a 50 gallon delivery the cost would be in the neighborhood of $83 in expenses to begin with. In order to actually make it worthwhile I'd say you need to make back your initial investment and cover costs after a certain period of time so I would think you'd want to charge more than double your cost, so let's round up to about $200 for a 50 gallon delivery. This gives a profit of around $30 for that 50 gallon delivery, not factoring in costs for hose and pump and for actual labor time/cost. So you're turning a profit of about $.60 per gallon of water which would take about 2,000 gallons to make back what you put in.

My numbers are probably off here, but I'd say that with current demand, you're not going to find many willing to do this and even fewer willing to pay the price. If my numbers are approximately right, you would pay $600 for your 150 gallon delivery... About the equivalent of paying for standard gas today.

If my numbers are approximately right, you would pay $600 for your 150 gallon delivery... About the equivalent of paying for standard gas today.

Oh my! That is a pretty penny for 150 gallons. Looks like Roscoe's Petco suggestion actually comes out cheaper at 150 gallons for $375 delivered curbside.

I think you could have made the water and done the water change already.

Pretty much, but this has inspired a conversation between me and Upper Level Management! She has stated that someone needs to invent a way to change the water automatically without taking up "Quality Family Time"!

:idea:

(Enters Seavisions Dialyseas 2)

Edited by dcreefer

And we do water changes as a family.

After my wife finishes carrying the 8 five gallon buckets of new water up the 2 flights of stairs, the kids have already gotten the other 8 buckets of old water from the tank readied for her to carry back down two flights of stairs and dump into the sink in the laundry room. Once that's done, she passes by the kitchen and brings me two freshly made sammiches to eat as well as for the kids.

Quality family time at it's finest.

Aquatic obsessions had a used rodi from water general (the one I have) on sale for dirt the other day. I built a water change station for myself for not a lot of money.

waterstation.jpg

Yep: all you need is an appropriately sized container (I use a vertical 150G which is only 30" wide and will fit through any door), a float valve for the RODI, and an external pump to both mix the SW and then pump it into the tank. Should take 5 minutes twice (once to add salt to the RODI which is always full) and then in a day or two to drain the tank and add the new SW.

I have a system that changes water automatically... 150 times a day :)

All you need is three peristaltic pumps, a controller, a saltwater makeup tank, a freshwater makeup tank, and a drain. Hands down, the best money I have spent on my system.

http://www.wamas.org/forums/topic/40211-how-to-do-150-water-changes-a-day/page__p__340392__fromsearch__1entry340392

I agree chad, its a great investment. That is what I am setting up for my system now. In fact I just put the 75 gal storage tank (just a standard glass tank), and my 55 gal mix tank under our house the other day. By using float switches and an RKE I won't have to even be there to do a water change!

After my wife finishes carrying the 8 five gallon buckets of new water up the 2 flights of stairs, the kids have already gotten the other 8 buckets of old water from the tank readied for her to carry back down two flights of stairs and dump into the sink in the laundry room. Once that's done, she passes by the kitchen and brings me two freshly made sammiches to eat as well as for the kids.

OH my goodness! That is the funniest thing I have read in a while! Thanks for that!

:biggrin:

What no OJ, no coffee? Other than that, it sounds great!