anyone use Randy's 2 part

linkfalcon

I would also like to know where to purchase the different items as well. Sounds like a terrific money saver

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

I have read people using epsom salt (Magnesium sulfate) and Prestone driveway melt (calcium chloride). I believe Lowes sells 50lb bags of the Prestone cheap. Epsom salt seems to be everywhere.

I HAVE NEVER USED either item, so someone who knows for sure, please chime in.

I used to use Home Depot 3 part solution- 50# Cal Chloride, 50# Mag Chloride, 13# Baking Soda, 13# Epsom Salts. You can buy all this stuff for about $50.

The main problem with the Cal and Mag Chlorides is that they are 'dirty'. They aren't 100% pure and while this dirt doesn't seem to affect the tank, it does clog dosing linesets and makes dosing jugs turn brown. You need 2 bottles to decant the clear liquid away from the dirty liquid.

I've since switched to BRS and won't go back.

I've used the magflake, bought mine from Southern States, and Epsom Salts, available at any drug store, to make the magnesium additive and have had no issues with it at all over the more expensive Magnesium additives from BRS. If you want some magflake to give it a try I can spare some since the bag I bought was more than a 5 gallon bucket full. For the calcium additive, I have mixed the Prestone Driveway Heat up in a gallon jug, have not noticed the jug turning brown or any issues with it at all. Was unable to find the dowflake or Peladow last winter. Have used the soda ash from BRS for alk since I don't want to go to the trouble of baking the baking soda, just easier to buy it.

I don't use two-part as my primary supplements, but will use components on occasion to re-balance things. For magnesium, I'll use Mag-flake or Mag-pellets by Dead Sea Works. I have a friend who's a landscaper and bought several hundred pounds of it a while back. Otherwise, you used to be able to find it at Harvey Salt up in Baltimore. For calcium, I'll use calcium chloride either by ESV or by Bulk Reef Supply. For alkalinity, I use good old Arm & Hammer baking soda.