Backer board or drywall for tiling?

steveoutlaw

I would use hardi backer as it will hold up much better in a wet and humid inviroment

It depends on how you are installing it. So you'll have tile on one side of the material but what about the other side, will it be exposed at all or hidden in the wall? If the back side is exposed to the tank where it would see high moisture or splashing then I would go with the cement board. If it isn't going to see splashing, just light humidity then go with the green board. You can always paint the green board with RedGard to seal and waterproof it. RedGard is a waterproofing membrane and is one of those steps that almost every home DIY'er skips. They assume that green board or cement board is all they need, but neither is water proof.

Personally I'd go with Coral Hind's approach. Unless it's direct contact green board will be fine. If you really want overkill there's a competitor to the concrete board...........it's a fiberboard. Much lighter & it is waterproof. It is also a stone cold ***** to work with, it dulls everything I've thrown @ it in short order :laugh:

What about just using 1/4" plywood over the existing drywall? I'm trying to do this on a budget as well. Both the backerboard and durock are expensive.

I don't know all the exact info on what you are planning but from what I am thinking, I wouldn't do the plywood. It will just suck up moisture and I don't feel it is really even needed. Did you look into the RedGard I mentioned? Another option, a little more work but probably better, is a Kerdi membrane. Do an internet search for Schluter Kerdi Membrane. Both products can go over regular drywall and you just tile over them.

I'm not exactly sure of what he has planned but I think he wanted to put tile on the wall. I don't think it would stick well to FRP.

Oh ok, tile probably wouldn't stick to well to that.

OH OH steve I forgot to mention use a 1/4 notched trowel to put the mastic on and you should be fine...(let me know if you need to borrow one)

The larger the notch the better it will stick going on the wall...

(edited)

Just to update everyone, this is for the wall on the viewing side of the tank, not the fish room side.

Ok, should I use adhesive or mortar? I'm really worried about the paint on the drywall peeling off - thinking I better use durock.

Edited by steveoutlaw

WELL.... if you get it all laid out before hand you could just use adhesive like liquid nails... but mastic would be better (a stickier type of mortar premixed for wall applications)

Just wondering, why did you decide on a cement board?

Price. The durock is cheaper than fiberboard, and works out to be the same at the drywall with all the other stuff you have to do to it. Plus, once it goes up I don't want it coming down!

WELL.... if you get it all laid out before hand you could just use adhesive like liquid nails... but mastic would be better (a stickier type of mortar premixed for wall applications)

I think we're talking the same thing. I used mortar on the floors and need to use Mastic on the walls.

I think the "real" tile folks think mastic should never be used, and would always use mortar, but I'm sure mastic would be fine.

1/4" notch sounds way too big for wall tile. I think it is normal to use thinner notch for thinner tile...you don't want too much oozing out. Then you'll have to remove it before grouting. You probably want 1/8" or 5/32"

I think the "real" tile folks think mastic should never be used, and would always use mortar, but I'm sure mastic would be fine.

Yep, I am not a professional but I have done a fair bit. Thinset, either modified or non-modified is the ideal.......but....that requires a bit of experience. Mastic makes it easy for Harry Homeowner, it should however never be used in wet areas such as showers. Given the mentioned location mastic will be fine.

1/4" notch sounds way too big for wall tile. I think it is normal to use thinner notch for thinner tile...you don't want too much oozing out. Then you'll have to remove it before grouting. You probably want 1/8" or 5/32"

Yep again, notch size is directly related to tile size........so if you were doing a large tile on the wall 1/4" would work, general 4" or 6"? That would be as you said 1/8". For any reasonable sized tile V notch, square notch is generally used on floors (though I guess if you had a big enough wall tile??? )

A tip to avoid the "ooze"....when laying a tile start by placing the tile right up against the previous tile (touching), now move the tile away to desired spacing. Of note this works with single tiles, sheets not so much. :biggrin:

Another tip - avoid glass tile unless you have experience, I know the wives like it these days but it's the most difficult tile to lay (you lay it blind, with paper on the outside = how do you line it up??????) Did it once.........

Next up...grout :laugh:

Price. The durock is cheaper than fiberboard, and works out to be the same at the drywall with all the other stuff you have to do to it. Plus, once it goes up I don't want it coming down!

Hate to break it to ya but that's got little to do with whether it comes down or not :laugh: Either RedGard or Kerdi over green (or even regular) would have been fine. Example - use regular drywall screws with durarock = likely to fail. It's all parts of the puzzle, correct steps are what prevents it from coming down.

Edited by ErikS

Redgard all the way. VERY important.

Do it right the first time. Pay now, or pay later.

Use mastic.

Durock/hardee is what you want.

Its a wet environment, you'll want to take a wet sponge and wipe the salt off the walls, etc.

Just watch a YouTube video for how to lay wall tile. And ask the guy in hd/lowes which trowel youll need based on the tile you chose. And post before and after with pics of each completed step!

Good luck!

Hate to break it to ya but that's got little to do with whether it comes down or not :laugh: Either RedGard or Kerdi over green (or even regular) would have been fine. Example - use regular drywall screws with durarock = likely to fail. It's all parts of the puzzle, correct steps are what prevents it from coming down.

The current drywall is painted. So, I either put drywall or durock over it, or I tear it down and start over. 1/4" durock will be perfect..........easy to put over what's there and no drywall mess to get yelled at for.

I was worried more about the paint underneath peeling off and dropping some tiles.

The current drywall is painted. So, I either put drywall or durock over it, or I tear it down and start over. 1/4" durock will be perfect..........easy to put over what's there and no drywall mess to get yelled at for.

:laugh: