Radion tir lens out

Fishie

I cant believe Ryan didnt post this first.! Nice job Fishie.! Are you going to upgrade yours.?

i think thats why he dropped his ric order so that he could upgrade his lights... :ph34r:

haha. I got the email while at the mall. Fishie's got my back anyway ;)

I ordered 2 pairs tonight. $30 for pair is a great price I think. These lenses effectively change the depth penetration of the radions from a 250w MH equivalent to a 400w MH equivalent, which should prove very valuable for any tanks over 24" tall, like the marineland DD series, which are 27" deep.

any idea if this will come standard in the new radions coming out?

I haven't seen anything on this yet. I would guess it will be a +$30 upgrade option. I believe the old lens would work fine if your tank is under 24" tall. I think it's really meant for tanks that are 24"+ in height. With that said... If you had a tank that was 20" tall, you could always get the new lens and just lower the intensity of the radions, so maybe they will make it standard...

What if I just wanted more intensity at 12 inches depth...cuz I have placed sps all over...u cud make a case that it will be beneficial even in such cases...ofcourse it will help sand dwellers the most where light wasn't getting to those dpeths

What if I just wanted more intensity at 12 inches depth...cuz I have placed sps all over...u cud make a case that it will be beneficial even in such cases...ofcourse it will help sand dwellers the most where light wasn't getting to those dpeths

Absolutely, but at 12" depth I'd think you'd really have to turn down the intensity. At least to begin with.

I was hesitant to try a clam before the TIR lens, but now with the better penetration to the sand bed of my tank, I'm ready to bring home a clam from Dr. Mac at fragfest and see how it does!

I also spoke with ecotech today...and they said Mac software and wireless related news in next couple months ...but no details on specifics if wireless will be true or not...as expected,..hush hush

Optics to let it go deeper will focus the light so spread a be less still the same amount of light like focusing a flashlight beam

I think I figured out how it's possible. Lets Say after you focused the beam, you then divide the focused beam to multiple beams and then angle the different beams apart to cover the desired area. Meaning you'll have "empty space" between the various beams, effectively covering the same area before the focused beam. Kinda cheated by hiding empty space between the various beams. Just a guess. :)

From a guy on RC (not me):

I picked up my TIR lenses today and I was able to get Par numbers on them. I compared them to my old 250w DE MH and the standard lenses.

All lights on 100%.

7744024692_39b4e89e3f_o.jpg

Are those readings directly under light only, if so, then it's obvious the TIR it should be more, that's the point of lenses. how about readings on the edges of just one radion? Which is where you compare if it'll cover the same area at 24" and 30" dept.

Edited by hlem

To get a fair picture of what the lens does, you should put just one in the middle of the tank and measure across the length of the tank at different heights with and without the lens.

The lens cannot create more light, it has to be redirecting it from somewhere. So, the question really is if it is capturing light that was previously lost scattering out the sides before getting to the tank or if it is narrowing the beam so that more units will be needed.

So, the question really is if it is capturing light that was previously lost scattering out the sides before getting to the tank or if it is narrowing the beam so that more units will be needed.

According to Ecotech, the spread is exactly the same.

According to Ecotech, the spread is exactly the same.

The only way the spread can be the same is if the distribution is changed and they've made a hot spot right under the tank and reduced the output at other parts of the pattern or if they are redirecting light that was escaping and not being sent into the tank before. However, if its the latter, then it seems like this should be a standard part of the fixture and that isn't how they are marketing it.

Or, they are full of crap.

If the original lenses are 120 degrees or more and the new lenses are in the 80-90 degree range then it makes perfect sense to me. Basically recapturing a lot of "lost" light. Spread would be minimally impacted at the bottom of the tank.

If the original lenses are 120 degrees or more and the new lenses are in the 80-90 degree range then it makes perfect sense to me. Basically recapturing a lot of "lost" light. Spread would be minimally impacted at the bottom of the tank.

not necessary.

original 120 degrees lens to cover 24"x24" area.

TIR 80-90 degrees lens to cover the same 24"x24" area?

unless the 120 degrees lens was cover more area, say 30x30 area, but the light for extra 6in was not taken into account, and now the TIR recaptured that light to make the 24x24 more intense, now that would make sense.

Just my 2 cents I imagine the way Ecotech is able to achieve this is by dividing the LED circles with an inner circle and outer circle. The outer circle will stay the same keeping the spread as before. The inner circle has the LED's now facing more towards the center creating the inner cone. Higher intensity as more light is reflected towards the center.

not necessary.

original 120 degrees lens to cover 24"x24" area.

TIR 80-90 degrees lens to cover the same 24"x24" area?

unless the 120 degrees lens was cover more area, say 30x30 area, but the light for extra 6in was not taken into account, and now the TIR recaptured that light to make the 24x24 more intense, now that would make sense.

Basically I think they've taken the light that would spill out of the sides and onto the glass of the aquarium and focused it allowing them to claim the same 24" spread, but increasing intensity. Technically the spread is diminished, but in application not many people grow corals on the glass.