Licensed Electrician

bbyatv

Are there any licensed electricians in the group?

I have a weird situation.

I have an outlet that stopper working today.

There is no blown circuit breaker. I tested the wires coming in to the outlet with a multi-meter and there is no current to it.

How can I trace where the line into the outlet comes from? I can not trip the breaker because there is an interruption between the outlet and the breaker?

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Bruce

Bruce, check the other outlets in the room or that would seem to be in line with this one. If it's run as a series and a wire came off at an earlier junction that is a problem that is easily fixed, although if you can't find the source I'd worry about what's happened in the wall. If you look at the other sockets and see that wires come and go through them you might be able to pinpoint the issue.

Dave,

Ya. There is no obvious series of outlets leading to this particular one. I cannot find any other outlets not working. It has me baffled.

Bruce

Bruce, check the other outlets in the room or that would seem to be in line with this one. If it's run as a series and a wire came off at an earlier junction that is a problem that is easily fixed, although if you can't find the source I'd worry about what's happened in the wall. If you look at the other sockets and see that wires come and go through them you might be able to pinpoint the issue.

i had the same problem in my old house. what i did was push the reset button for all the outlets around the house and got it to work. at my in laws, there is a light switch that shuts off power to a outlet. i dont know if you have a switch like that in your house.

As was said, it 99.9% of the time it will be the next outlet before that one. Your house (and all houses) have probably 10 outlets on a circuit. If there are only two wires in that box with the bad outlet, that is the last one in the circuit. The next one may be on the other side of the wall, or upstairs or downstairs, it could even be a light box or switch.

Did you test the wires in that bad box to ground? If a neutral is bad, (also very common) you will get no reading between two wires. So test the hot or black wire to ground with your meter.

It may be time consuming but you will have to open all the boxes starting nearest to that one and check for a loose connection, usually it will be black and may be slightly melted, (not a good sign)

Before you open the other boxes, plug something into the bad outlet like an electric drill, something that will make noise when you find the problem. Usually as you open the other boxes and move the wires, you will hear the drill motor and you will know the problem is where you are moving the wires.

(master electrician 40 years)

Edited by paul b

Bruce,

Have you checked for a tripped GFCI outlet? It's not unusual for a regular outlet (like your outlet that doesn't work) to be wired downstream from a GFCI outlet. A tripped GFCI could cut power from the downstream outlet.

The GFCI wouldn't have to be in the same room, or even on the same floor. They're usually in bathrooms, kitchens, and basements, but builders can run wire in unexpected ways.

Jon,

Ya, I have checked all of these type issues. Nothing easy like this unfortunately.

Thanks,

Bruce

Bruce,

Have you checked for a tripped GFCI outlet? It's not unusual for a regular outlet (like your outlet that doesn't work) to be wired downstream from a GFCI outlet. A tripped GFCI could cut power from the downstream outlet.

The GFCI wouldn't have to be in the same room, or even on the same floor. They're usually in bathrooms, kitchens, and basements, but builders can run wire in unexpected ways.

Where is the outlet located?

Sometimes when a breaker trips the handle may not move to the middle position fully. Try turning off all the breakers and turning them back on.

I would pull out the outlets that are near that one and check behind them of loose wires or burned terminals.

Where is the outlet located?

Sometimes when a breaker trips the handle may not move to the middle position fully. Try turning off all the breakers and turning them back on.

I would pull out the outlets that are near that one and check behind them of loose wires or burned terminals.

Agree - sound like it might be an open neutral along the line. Do you have a multi-meter (and are you comfortable using it)?

Also, you can buy a plug in device that will give you a check of the outlet (it's a plug that flashes lights to tell you the condition) - Home Depot or Lowes.

If you check hot (generally black) to ground & get 120v but socket is no or small voltage it's a break in the neutral (white?) You can work your way back along the circuit checking outlets to find where it goes awry. To find the other outlets just use a light(s) and flip the breaker......or check other items to see what goes out.

I would call a professional if you don't feel comfortable working around electrical wiring.

I have a GFCI Receptacle Tester (like this http://www.lowes.com/pd_292761-12704-61-501_0__?productId=3128411) and a multi-meter. I am comfortable with both. The trick here is that there is no obvious string of outlets, boxes, or switches that lead up to this particular outlet.

I may just have to hunt around to figure out what box leads up to this one?

Bruce

Agree - sound like it might be an open neutral along the line. Do you have a multi-meter (and are you comfortable using it)?

Also, you can buy a plug in device that will give you a check of the outlet (it's a plug that flashes lights to tell you the condition) - Home Depot or Lowes.

If you check hot (generally black) to ground & get 120v but socket is no or small voltage it's a break in the neutral (white?) You can work your way back along the circuit checking outlets to find where it goes awry. To find the other outlets just use a light(s) and flip the breaker......or check other items to see what goes out.

I would call a professional if you don't feel comfortable working around electrical wiring.

I have had a GFCI on a 3rd floor trip and kill 2 outlets, one in my garage and one in ANOTHER persons townhome next door... just sayin... it can be CRAZY!

I hope your neighbor doesn't have a 1000W MH fixture hooked to the outlet you're paying for!

LOL no for some reason the GFCI ground wire was attached to her regular outlet for her ground... so I never paid for any of her electricity BUT anytime MY GFCI tripped her outlet died, lol

I may just have to hunt around to figure out what box leads up to this one?

Yep, as mentioned it can be a pita. Not certain of the full functionality of the device you mentioned but in general they can tell you if there's an issue with the outlet/circuit?

I assume your breaker box and/or outlet box isn't labeled well enough to tell what breaker it is on. If you knew that, it would be much easier.

Have you tried looking inside the box and assessing the general direction to wire is coming in from? Sometimes that can help (but not always!)

Tip for future: I write the breaker #/id inside each box/outlet when I add or work on them. That way I know what breaker it is right away.

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

Yup crazy one again. Sorry man but i have an old house and had this issue before. One of my bedroom lost power to few of the outlets and I was going crazy. Then few weeks later i had got painting done on the other room and saw one of the outlet burned out so went ahead and changed it. Right after that my third room outlets started working. It was a surprise but trust me you never know how the wiring has been routed. When I found that i went ahead and looked at every outlet and got the bad onces replaced and now i have all outlets working. I was surprised that i had to fix outlets on other part of the house rooms to get an outlet working which did not belong to that room but somewhere else. Just trying to save you money man. it is lot of work but you will be surprised.

I installed a new light at my mother in laws house in her laundry room. I took down the old light and discovered that the power for half of the outlets in all 3 bedrooms were T'd off of the light fixture. Unbelievable that an electrician at some point actually thought that was OK.

get a outlet tester like this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/american-recorder-technologies-ground-fault-outlet-receptacle-tester?src=3WWRWXGP

If you have a harbor freight close by, they sell it much cheaper $2-3.

Sound like you have a loose ground or return wire somewhere. Sometime, they (electricians) connect return and ground wires to another outlet. Newer outlets are made of plastic and will cracked over time and poorly terminated wires will came loose.

The tester will give you an idea as to what wrong with your outlet.

Tim brings up a good point - if you know which breaker controls that outlet, switch it off and see which other outlets go off. That way you'll know which ones are on the same circuit and by process of elimination you can then locate the ones that are connected without going into the wall first to look at each individual one.

The idea of plugging a drill in there cracks me up, I'm picturing a 1/2" chuck hammer drill with a large concrete boring bit on the end coming to life and gouging your walls, floors, and anything else in the room like a fire hose that has been dropped...

That's the big hang up. I have no idea what circuit/breaker this outlet is on. That is one of the things I am trying to figure out.

Bruce

Tim brings up a good point - if you know which breaker controls that outlet, switch it off and see which other outlets go off. That way you'll know which ones are on the same circuit and by process of elimination you can then locate the ones that are connected without going into the wall first to look at each individual one.

The idea of plugging a drill in there cracks me up, I'm picturing a 1/2" chuck hammer drill with a large concrete boring bit on the end coming to life and gouging your walls, floors, and anything else in the room like a fire hose that has been dropped...

If that scares you, plug in an electric toothbrush. :cool:

That's the big hang up. I have no idea what circuit/breaker this outlet is on. That is one of the things I am trying to figure out.

Bruce

Yeah that sucks. That is why I label each individual box, so I always know what breaker it is on.

Doesn't help you though...

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

First he needs to identify if he lost the continuity of the hot wire, the neutral wire, the ground, or all three. If just one of them is still continuous back to the main panel then he can ohm them out to find the breaker and possible open spot in the circuit. He would have to turn the panel off and disconnect wires to single it out. Just taking a reading between hot and the neutral will not tell the whole story.

Hopefully it is at the rear of an outlet as most cases are and it will not require opening a wall. I still haven