Calcium a bit too high

miggs76

(edited)

I have a fairly immature tank that has been set up for a little more than 2 months.....60gallons. I have been using natural seawater but will be switching to synthetic soon. Tank only has about 10 pieces of coral (mostly small frags) and 2 small fish. I checked my calcium levels twice today and both times they were around 540. I checked the alkalinity and it was ok at 9.5 dkH. Any thoughts why it would be that high? Obviously it is bad if it is too low for the coral but what about too high?

Edited by miggs76

I was using the reef crystal salt, that it happened to me last month, I let the calcium been naturaly consumed, but when was time for water change, I got instant ocean (not reef version), and I am using until goes back to normal level.

Im not dosing anything....the natural seawater i use has calcium at about 420 so im wondering how it can increase...

Im using ro water for top off....but im not mixing im using natural seawater

Just monitor your alk, and keep it 8-9 and your Calcium will come down on its own. 540 isn't anything to really worry about. Once your corals start growing it will be fine. Just keep track of where your alk is for now.

Just monitor your alk, and keep it 8-9 and your Calcium will come down on its own. 540 isn't anything to really worry about. Once your corals start growing it will be fine. Just keep track of where your alk is for now.

+1

I used reef crystals for years, but finally gave up on it because the Ca is so out of balance as you noticed. Every time I did a water change my parameters would swing out of whack.

I went with DD H2O. It mixes up exactly to the Ca and Alk parameters I prefer to run my tank at. A water change should be something that pulls your tank into line, instead of knocking it off- track.

The down side is that it is pricey. You may be able to do the same by just using Instant Ocean and adding a little Calcium Chloride and Soda Ash to nail your parameters. Once you get the recipe right it will be easy and cheap.

Hanna digital

Are you using distilled water to calibrate the meter?

Try getting another test kit and cross-check the measurement. It's unlikely that any salt mix is giving you calcium levels this high. What's the source of the "natural seawater" that you're using? Have you tried measuring it?

Hanna checker is measuring the natural seawater at 420 so its not the test kit...oh well ill just have to wait it out..

Try measuring your top-off water if you can spare the reagent. It should measure zero, but who knows. Also, what's the salinity of your tank versus the natural seawater you're getting? If your salinity has crept up, it could very easily be that the calcium is being concentrated.

Are you using distilled water to calibrate the meter?

Try getting another test kit and cross-check the measurement. It's unlikely that any salt mix is giving you calcium levels this high. What's the source of the "natural seawater" that you're using? Have you tried measuring it?

Can you just RO water? because that's what I use and the reading seems high to me too

Can you just RO water? because that's what I use and the reading seems high to me too

DI water is fine as long as the deionization resin is not nearing exhaustion.