refugium lighting

stankyd

(edited)

I was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding refugium lighting.

My fixture holds 2 36" 4 pin straight bulbs and i am seeing alot of choices, 10k, 7k, various wattage, daylight, atinic etc. as shown here http://premiumaquatics.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_code=Ultracompacts

Planning to stock with chaeto if I can find some. Considering how much of that stuff I threw out over the years, I cant believe what they are charging for it online!

Dave

Edited by stankyd

Most people stick around 6700k. I use a cheap CFL bulb in mine and it works great.

It is criminal what some of these places are charging for chaeto.

Most people stick around 6700k. I use a cheap CFL bulb in mine and it works great.

If you don't mind my asking,where do you get yours? I'm also looking to replace the bulbs in my 'fuge fixtures - both 4-pin CFLs, 24 and 18 Watt - and most of the prices I'm finding are around $20-$25 for a 6500-6700K bulb.

If you don't mind my asking,where do you get yours? I'm also looking to replace the bulbs in my 'fuge fixtures - both 4-pin CFLs, 24 and 18 Watt - and most of the prices I'm finding are around $20-$25 for a 6500-6700K bulb.

I used to buy them at the LFS called Big Al's in Fort Lauderdale. Have no idea in the NOVA area.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I use a lamp style, not 4 pin, CFL bulb with a shop light type fixture on my sump. Both can be had from Home Depot.

I am thinking of getting some mangrove to control my nitrate problem, growing them in the refuge with compact lights from Home Depot.

Read somewhere that it may be a good idea to rotate times for the refuge light, i.e. DT light on refuge off.

So the refuge light will generally only be on at night.

Any thoughts on this ?

I am thinking of getting some mangrove to control my nitrate problem, growing them in the refuge with compact lights from Home Depot.

Read somewhere that it may be a good idea to rotate times for the refuge light, i.e. DT light on refuge off.

So the refuge light will generally only be on at night.

Any thoughts on this ?

Reverse light cycles are used to stabilize a tank's pH. Here's the reasoning:

The process of photosynthesis consumes CO2 and releases oxygen. This raises pH. Many of our corals are photosynthetic (some are not). That's why the pH in our tanks goes up during the day. At night, though, photosynthetic organisms move toward respiration - that is, they consume oxygen and release CO2. This lowers pH. This photosynthesis-respiration cycle is the reason why we have diurnal shifts in pH. It's easy (and interesting) to see if you have a controller pH log.

If you have a refugium that's on a reverse light cycle, it's respiring when the main tank is photosynthesizing. The opposite is true at "night." The effect is to provide some balance to the pH swing. You'll always have a swing, it just may not as pronounced.

BTW, this is the same reason why some people dose Kalkwasser only at night when the pH is falling because of respiration.

I use one of those $6 clip on reflectors you get at home depot with a 14W 6700k cfl bulb(125 watt equivilent) in it. I leave it on 24/7 and it grows 3 mangroves and a fuge full of chateo with no problems. In fact the mangroves are getting too tall to stay in my sump much longer!