Getting out of hobby

Fishie

(edited)

I didnt think I'd be doing this but after going through recent events I find myself unfit for this hobby.

Just not able to justify not knowing simple things which lead to loss of aquatic life

I am going to let some of the coral recover a bit before posting more details but I plan on putting up my tanks hardware and livestock (what's left) for sale

Here is rough list of hardware... I'll wait n see how the livestock does before adding their info

135 cube rimless dual overflow back middle

Radion 2

Mp40esw 2

Atb 840 skimmer with new pump and spare backup pump

Return pump idk but looks like a red dragon very quiet

Ato

Apex aquacontroller With 1 8 plug module jr version

Acrylic sump

2 stage reactor with eheim pump

Lots of other things I'll list later

It's been fun and I wish everyone the best

Edited by Fishie

Wait. You are getting out because of the power out? Mate give it a few days see if you still want to get out? With what you have invested with a little more your system could be almost bulletproof

I didnt think I'd be doing this but after going through recent events I find myself unfit for this hobby.

Just not able to justify not knowing simple things which lead to loss of aquatic life

I am going to let some of the coral recover a bit before posting more details but I plan on putting up my tanks hardware and livestock (what's left) for sale

Here is rough list of hardware... I'll wait n see how the livestock does before adding their info

135 cube rimless dual overflow back middle

Radion 2

Mp40esw 2

Atb 840 skimmer with new pump and spare backup pump

Return pump idk but looks like a red dragon very quiet

Ato

Apex aquacontroller With 1 8 plug module jr version

Acrylic sump

2 stage reactor with eheim pump

Lots of other things I'll list later

It's been fun and I wish everyone the best

Might want to give it a couple weeks. I've gone through crashes and wanted to get out and if you still feel that way in a couple weeks, at least you've given it some time to set in. Right now it's probably hard to think clearly. If you choose to stay in, I can help out with some frags to get you going again. Having left the hobby a couple times over the last 15 years, the only regrets I've really had have been selling equipment or shutting down after a calamity, as I inevitably ended up spending more money purchasing the same things at a later date.

Don't do anything right now. I know you're really down from what just happened, but give it a couple of weeks before you start to sell everything. At most, I would say take everything down and wait a few months, you might want to start again.

<br />Don't do anything right now. I know you're really down from what just happened, but give it a couple of weeks before you start to sell everything. At most, I would say take everything down and wait a few months, you might want to start again.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

agree

Don't do anything right now. I know you're really down from what just happened, but give it a couple of weeks before you start to sell everything. At most, I would say take everything down and wait a few months, you might want to start again.

I completely agree... unless your giving me your stuff for free. :rolleyes:

Just give it a couple days

You have some quality equipment there. Dont give up. I have been doing this for decades and had some really low moments. There were many times that I wanted to get out but those beautiful fish and corals always have had a special place in my soul.

Dont let fridays events sway you away from this hobby.... most people were not ready for it... ive had tanks for 10 years and I wasnt prepared for this...

I totally agree give it at least a week to settle down. I lived in Florida for many years and went through many power outages. Lost some things the first few times then learned to have some back ups like air stones etc to make it through. You have great stuff so I would wait you will regret manking a hasty decision. If you do get out though let me know what all you have I may be interested in buying out every thing. Just take time to think it over

Thanks for all the support all... Not sure which way I am going but I want to thank all of u for the support

If I do stick through this it's cause this community is so good.

No power yet but the generator is keepin the tank running and he 4 clowns and the Lps are all looking good

The Sps is pretty wiped out...but I'll keep it in incase it can recover

Sunday blues

Sorry, I hope everything else pulls thru, I was thinking the same thing yesterday till a friend showed up with a generator.

My advice for anyone in this hobby who wants to give up... don't move so fast because if you sell all equipment then start wanting a tank again, the cost of all new stuff can be prohibitive.

sorry to hear about your losses and frustrations.... I am speaking up for the other side, though. I agree not to rush into selling but I am not clear it isn't a good idea sometimes. So if you are clear you want to sell go ahead. I moved twice in the last year while I was doing some house renovation and each time it was traumatic on the tank and I lost so much livestock. Each time I thought about selling but decided I wouold miss it. And each time the frustration and worn out feelings and sickness over the death got worse. After my second move, after I had the tank stabilized again, I had some plumbing and electrical problems while I was away and another major die off. Rather than selling I ended up doubling up from my 72 to a 130 but my energy just isn't into it the same way and I am always thinking I wished I had just sold the whole thing... before the first move when I could have sold it for a lot of money, before the second move when it was still valuable, before I upgraded when at least I could have gotten out. Granted, I still have the tank so I can't really sayI would feel better having sold it. But I am not in the hobby with the same energy like I was. And I'm tired of starting out again and again after these die offs. And though I have a nice tank it takes a long time to build all the livestock back up. And now, when I came to work today I found my work tank - 54 gallon - got completely destroyed in the power outage and everything is dead and I have to take it all apart.

Dude come one you cannot leave man. I know what you went through but think about it. You always pushed me and made me stay even till date I never had a fully established tank like yours. I stayed after all my fishes and few corals gone except for the clowns. You know my deal and i instead upgraded and then crashed again. You can make it back man. Wamas community is awesome and they can help you build your reef again. You cannot leave man. Your tank and equipments are awesome and now you even have generator. You will never see this happen to you again so why leave now. This is a learning experience and you will make it back dude. Just listen and STAY.

I know I can't speak for some of the losses taken by other members of WAMAS recently, but my tank is only 6 months old and has been a total love hate relationship. The last few months algae continued to come back, the first fish I bought died for no reason, and I was feeling like I was pouring money into the tank. But last month I buckled down, did religious water changes, and REALLY paid attention and did work to the tank. Now it looks great and I am trying to remember this feeling for times like this when we feel like quitting. It's a great hobby with a lot of work required, but when everything is doing what it should, it's immensely relaxing. I considered selling my tank two months ago, and I am glad I told myself to wait.

I wouldn't sell anything yet. Like everyone said, maybe this is a great chance to take a step back and evaluate what you want to do again. I've gone through this so many times as well.

Biocube 8 -> 90g -> 220g -> 120g -> 45g -> 150g all within 4 years. All the money I've wasted, ugh!!! If I would've just stuck with one, I think it would've been great, but there was always that one thing (electricity bill, nothing seemed to go right, thoughts on upgrading, finances, etc. etc.) that made me want to sell.

Good luck with what you choose though.