Power outage

Mike Mann

Depends on how much oxygen the life in the tank consumes. Flow is important to maintain it helps keep the water oxygenated and carries away waste byproducts. Aeration, too.

You can manually aerate the waster by sloshing it around or repeatedly taking and pouring a pitcher of water back in.

Just pick ups PC battery backup. If you get a good size one put it on your return pump and could get 8+ hours on them. (depending on return pump)

1200va APC

Runtime curve here. http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1200

Return pump would have to draw about 15W to last 8 hours according to the data sheet.

David, I saw that you had a waterblaster return in your sump the other day. What model is it? Have you ever measured power consumption? They claim some pretty remarkable efficiency numbers (I don't believe the numbers the actually publish, though). Do you know what flow you actually get thru it and at what head pressure?

Battery powered air stone is a must in your arsenal. There are ones that kick on automatically when the power goes out too. $20 at most places and well worth it.

Battery powered air stone is a must in your arsenal. There are ones that kick on automatically when the power goes out too. $20 at most places and well worth it.

What's the name/ maker?

yep youcan get at wallmart for minnow buckets 2 d batterys workes great for bucket transporting fish also

What's the name/ maker?

I have similar one which I got from BRK when I got my first SW fish two years ago. It's called MillionAir by ViaAqua. Works great.

Runtime curve here. http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1200

Return pump would have to draw about 15W to last 8 hours according to the data sheet.

David, I saw that you had a waterblaster return in your sump the other day. What model is it? Have you ever measured power consumption? They claim some pretty remarkable efficiency numbers (I don't believe the numbers the actually publish, though). Do you know what flow you actually get thru it and at what head pressure?

the one I have is 55 watts so maybe around 4 hours. Still not too bad :)

No, not bad at all. But may be closer to 90 min - 2 hours at that draw, unless the APC curve is being conservative (and it might be). I use a fairly efficient external that drives practically everything in my system (a Reeflo Dart). It draws probably 130W, so it would only give me an hour by this curve....

(edited)

yep youcan get at wallmart for minnow buckets 2 d batterys workes great for bucket transporting fish also

Using mine right now. What a life saver.

Edited by Spelter