RO SYSTEMS

clearsky57

Ok.... I am tired of buying my RO water, and I am now looking into purchasing an RO unit.... I have been reading and surfing, trying to figure out what the best unit would work for me, but I am getting myself confused with all the different add ons and such....

What I would like to use if for is to have water for my 75 reef tank, both fresh and ability to make my own salt water.. also I have about 25 fresh water tanks (most of them are smaller breeder tanks) so I would like to produce at least 50-75 gallons a day.. can someone make my life easier and tell me which unit would be best.... I have seen all kinds of bells and whistles, (like pressure gauge, etc) on units, but not sure if it is overkill....

help please....

thanks

david

+1 on AWI. They have outstanding service and will make sure you get exactly what you need. The units are far better built than others I have owned. Don't forget the 10 percent WAMAS discount!

(edited)

Ok.... I am tired of buying my RO water, and I am now looking into purchasing an RO unit.... I have been reading and surfing, trying to figure out what the best unit would work for me, but I am getting myself confused with all the different add ons and such....

What I would like to use if for is to have water for my 75 reef tank, both fresh and ability to make my own salt water.. also I have about 25 fresh water tanks (most of them are smaller breeder tanks) so I would like to produce at least 50-75 gallons a day.. can someone make my life easier and tell me which unit would be best.... I have seen all kinds of bells and whistles, (like pressure gauge, etc) on units, but not sure if it is overkill....

help please....

thanks

david

David, I recommend BRS. If you grab it on a Wamas Group Buy, the unit is just $180 w/ free shipping:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/reverse-osmosis-filters-and-systems/reverses-osmosis-deionization-systems/standard-ro-di-systems/75-gpd-ro-di-5-stage-plus-system.html

Here is a video comparing BRS to other RO/DI units on the market. Take note of all the extras that come with a BRS unit (including multiple water connections, not just 1):

Edited by Ryan S

• 2 weeks later...

Get the highest capacity you can afford and move on.

I bought an RODI rated for 60gal/day. At my pressure, I'm getting about 30 gal's/day out of it - which is way more than my actual needs. Auto shut off - Coupled with a 65gal barrel - paid for itself in less than a year. I just pull water off as i need it and let it run.

Good luck!

Free parts available to make your own r/o system from me-

Wall bracket, 2) canisters, membrane holder, some fittings. With a few more duckets invested, you'll have an rodi on the cheap!

Typhoon III or Typhoon III extreme from AWI will do you just fine. You can either go with 75 gpd or their 150 gpd models. Steer clear of the 100 gpd membrane, you'll exhaust your DI resin fast and it won't be as economical as the other two membranes.

You really don't need the production rate you've mentioned if you add a reservoir to the design. This way, you'll have RO/DI water at the ready for you whenever you need it. I use a 44 gallon Rubbermaid Brute as my primary reservoir. Equip it with a float valve (also available at AWI) and you're set.

Will you tie this directly into your plumbing or are you planning on using a faucet adapter?

Do you need that much water in a day every day, or just to keep that much water around at any given time?

I love my Typhoon III extreme from AWI it works like a champ it is the 150 gallon per day membrane it makes 5 gallons in 45 minutes.

Ia it the membrane size that dictates how fast the water is made? My Mighty Mite makes about 5 gallons per hour.