Is there a place I can buy an overflow?

BigWyll

I'm planning to drill my 40g glass tank and I could not find a place that sells the overflow to glue to the back of the tank. I am talking about the teeth part to keep snail and other stuff in the tank.

^another +1 to glass holes...

I just installed two of their overflow boxes on my tanks. Well made and nice looking boxes with amusing directions.

That's awesome!

If you are talking about the 2-sided one for the corner or the 3-sided one for the center with the bottom of the tank drilled I can make one for you out of black acrylic shipped for around $50. I have a laser-cutter for the slots so it will look very nice. I am just charging you for the acrylic, shipping to me, and shipping to you, no labor. Black acrylic is expensive http://www.mcmaster....8/3569/=h9kpvn. If you are going to the meeting I can bring it along. They don't take long to make. I'm out of black acrylic, so if you want it at the meeting, I'll have to order the acrylic tomorrow.

Glass holes does an amaxing job. Thats what is on my 120 and I love it

If you are talking about the 2-sided one for the corner or the 3-sided one for the center with the bottom of the tank drilled I can make one for you out of black acrylic shipped for around $50. I have a laser-cutter for the slots so it will look very nice. I am just charging you for the acrylic, shipping to me, and shipping to you, no labor. Black acrylic is expensive http://www.mcmaster....8/3569/=h9kpvn. If you are going to the meeting I can bring it along. They don't take long to make. I'm out of black acrylic, so if you want it at the meeting, I'll have to order the acrylic tomorrow.

For your benefit Marc and for those around who decide to attempt their own small acrylic projects I shall reveal one of my local acrylic sources. Local saves you big time due to shipping first of all, but I have also found their prices quite reasonable in general. Piedmont Plastics in Elkridge, MD. Call and ask for Tom and tell him Adam with ArtFully Acrylic referred you. I usually only order black acrylic from them in small amounts (never by the full sheet) and have never had a problem ordering as small as even a few s.f. worth of material. Their pricing will run you likely $5-$7 a s.f. for the 1/4" black cell cast acrylic...easily half what McMaster is charging...and that's without shipping!

Edited by Origami
VTOS (Vendor Terms of Service)

hmmm... I live in Elkridge, and work in Gaithersburg. Maybe we can work something out here. haha.

Seriously. I live like 3 min from that peidmont plastic I believe. Contact me if you ever want to work out a drop in Gaithersburg. Keep in mind I drive a civic so there would be some size limitations.

hmmm... I live in Elkridge, and work in Gaithersburg. Maybe we can work something out here. haha.

Seriously. I live like 3 min from that peidmont plastic I believe. Contact me if you ever want to work out a drop in Gaithersburg. Keep in mind I drive a civic so there would be some size limitations.

LOL on the Civic. I'm actually worse off in some cases...I drive a Miata! Though I generally use the wifes car for picking up materials as she has an Accord. I have Piedmont cut my materials down to spec for me generally anyway as the cost of it is worth not having to do it myself. Whenever I need larger orders that won't fit in either of our cars, or I don't have the time to drive out, I order from SABIC Polymershapes. They are in Jessup, MD so not much closer for me, but they will deliver to my house for a nominal fee. They are another supplier option local, but aren't as useful for most on here because they only want to sell by the full sheet and therefore won't satisfy smaller orders that many on here may want for DIY projects.

If ever I'm in that kind of a bind though I will certainly let you know though biggrin.gif

Thanks for the acrylic source!! If you ever need anything laser-cut or etched on acrylic, let me know. It's not suitable for cutting glued edges, though as there is a kerf angle of around 2 degrees from the beam.

I'm not trying to sell any services by the way, I just believe that a favor here and there always gets rewarded in the end!!

Marc

Thanks for the acrylic source!! If you ever need anything laser-cut or etched on acrylic, let me know. It's not suitable for cutting glued edges, though as there is a kerf angle of around 2 degrees from the beam.

I'm not trying to sell any services by the way, I just believe that a favor here and there always gets rewarded in the end!!

Marc

Dang'd if it aint a small world sometimes! Actually I have that very need for a special acrylic project i'm doing for myself actually (being selfish for a change building something for myself). I will definitely drop you a PM in the next day or two! Thanks!

Wow, I am glad so much has occurred under my post. I really like the idea of the inbox overflow but there are no teeth. I plan to use the herbie system so I'm afraid of a snail clogging both drains.

I'm still in the planning stages, so I'll give one of you a call when I'm ready to have the overflow box made. I am not sure on what size the overflow box should be. I want the overflow placed in the center. The tank is a 4' 40g tank the sump I will use is a 4' 30g tank. I have a Mag 5 I want use as the return but may upgrade to a mag 7 or even a 9. I was thinking about using 1/2" pvc piping but I am not sure if that will be enought.

Any advice?

Wow, I am glad so much has occurred under my post. I really like the idea of the inbox overflow but there are no teeth. I plan to use the herbie system so I'm afraid of a snail clogging both drains.

I have eggcrate on the top which acts as a screen to keep out snails. I also had the herbie which is works great.

The mag 5 would be fine in my opinion.

Just go all the way across, coast-to-coast.