Sump noise reduction techniques

bcoop78

Alright guys.... I have done a bit of research, and have a couple of ideas that I might try. But before I touch another piece of PVC, I would love to get some expert advice from some local WAMAS members. I have already silenced my overflow, so I am not looking for ways to silence that. The problem is the sound of water splashing in my sump. I have a filter sock on there now, but do not wish to continue it's use after my tank has completed its first cycle. My drain is 1 1" pvc line going straight down into my skimmer section. I have a 45 on the end of it and it sits about 1" below the water line. It is loud as H-E- double hockey-sticks!! I have considered place a 90 followed by a Tee which has one end up out of the water and the other down in the water. Rock rubble is another idea. I have approximately 600gph going to the sump, and the sump is a 40B. Ideas please!!

Thank you. :-)

What kind of noise is it? Bubbling, splashing, falling water (doubt it since it's underwater). I would try putting the pipe more than 1" underwater. Another option is to change it from going straight down (vertical water fall) and having the return pipe go at an angle (trickling/pouring down water).

If this is for your 60 cube build I would have to say you have double what you really need. That's just my opinion. I would reduce the flow and you'll see that the noise would decrease drastically. 180-300gph is more then enough.

I agree with dave and that the straight drop is not helping at all.

Kc3

Edited by KC3

The best way to silence the sump noise is to slow water flow. Increase the diameter of your sump pipe as soon as possible.

What kind of noise is it? Bubbling, splashing, falling water (doubt it since it's underwater). I would try putting the pipe more than 1" underwater. Another option is to change it from going straight down (vertical water fall) and having the return pipe go at an angle (trickling/pouring down water).

The noise is mostly bubbling with and occasional gurgle. When the pipe was deeper under water, it made large gurgle sounds, almost like burps.

If this is for your 60 cube build I would have to say you have double what you really need. That's just my opinion. I would reduce the flow and you'll see that the noise would decrease drastically. 180-300gph is more then enough.

I agree with dave and that the straight drop is not helping at all.

I have a ball valve on the return line and have already dialed it back a bit... Is there a way for me to accurately estimate the flow rate?

Kc3

The best way to silence the sump noise is to slow water flow. Increase the diameter of your sump pipe as soon as possible.

So just use multiple reducer bushings to go from 1" to ?"

check out this Bubble Killer which you can make for a few bucks of PVC...I live in Bethesda if you want to come check them out for yourself in person.

I have (2) 1" drain lines and I used a 3" cap and 3" PVC instead of 4" fittings and it works phenomenally. Ask CaptainRon about his reaction when he came over to see my setup and saw them in action. He was giddy.

My drain line is a 1" pvc cut so that the water exits right at the sump water level. To silence it, I took a gallon vinegar jug, cut the bottom of it out, cut a couple small holes in the sloped area at the top, and opened the neck enough to fit the pvc pipe into it. Works like a champ and didn't cost me anything. I basically modified the idea from this thread on RC (Max pointed me to this - thanks Max!)

This guy used PVC, but I didn't see why I couldn't do it cheaper - I did and it works great. The thread calls it a bubble killer, and it does help with bubbles, but the biggest improvement for me, and more importantly for my wife, was the dramatically more quiet sump!

So just use multiple reducer bushings to go from 1" to ?"

If it's bubbling and burping I think that means you are overwhelming your overflow. Basically it's switching back and forth between a siphon and not-siphon. The burps are when it goes from not-siphon (with air) to full siphon and the air gets pushed out. You kinda need to decide if you are going to try and operate it at full siphon (Herbie overflow) or not.

You may want to change your overall water movement strategy. Instead of relying on the return pump for providing significant water movement in the tank, reduce the flow and use it just for water movement to sump things (heater, chiller, skimmer, UV, refugium, etc). Use power heads, closed loop, etc for internal water flow. You'll have a quieter system and better overall movement. You'd probably be more energy efficient too.

check out this Bubble Killer which you can make for a few bucks of PVC...I live in Bethesda if you want to come check them out for yourself in person.

I have (2) 1" drain lines and I used a 3" cap and 3" PVC instead of 4" fittings and it works phenomenally. Ask CaptainRon about his reaction when he came over to see my setup and saw them in action. He was giddy.

I think I am going to give that a try....

My drain line is a 1" pvc cut so that the water exits right at the sump water level. To silence it, I took a gallon vinegar jug, cut the bottom of it out, cut a couple small holes in the sloped area at the top, and opened the neck enough to fit the pvc pipe into it. Works like a champ and didn't cost me anything. I basically modified the idea from this thread on RC (Max pointed me to this - thanks Max!)

This guy used PVC, but I didn't see why I couldn't do it cheaper - I did and it works great. The thread calls it a bubble killer, and it does help with bubbles, but the biggest improvement for me, and more importantly for my wife, was the dramatically more quiet sump!

I like it!

If it's bubbling and burping I think that means you are overwhelming your overflow. Basically it's switching back and forth between a siphon and not-siphon. The burps are when it goes from not-siphon (with air) to full siphon and the air gets pushed out. You kinda need to decide if you are going to try and operate it at full siphon (Herbie overflow) or not.

You may want to change your overall water movement strategy. Instead of relying on the return pump for providing significant water movement in the tank, reduce the flow and use it just for water movement to sump things (heater, chiller, skimmer, UV, refugium, etc). Use power heads, closed loop, etc for internal water flow. You'll have a quieter system and better overall movement. You'd probably be more energy efficient too.

I am going to take your advice as well, and turn the return pump down a bit, once my MP40 gets in!!

Thanks guys!

I use the Herbie Method here. Big fan.

Thanks! Im reading the link on RC now to see if there ever is a mod to work in a non-overflow box single drain system such as mine.

Alright guys.... I have done a bit of research, and have a couple of ideas that I might try. But before I touch another piece of PVC, I would love to get some expert advice from some local WAMAS members. I have already silenced my overflow, so I am not looking for ways to silence that. The problem is the sound of water splashing in my sump. I have a filter sock on there now, but do not wish to continue it's use after my tank has completed its first cycle. My drain is 1 1" pvc line going straight down into my skimmer section. I have a 45 on the end of it and it sits about 1" below the water line. It is loud as H-E- double hockey-sticks!! I have considered place a 90 followed by a Tee which has one end up out of the water and the other down in the water. Rock rubble is another idea. I have approximately 600gph going to the sump, and the sump is a 40B. Ideas please!!

Thank you. :-)

I had the bubble gurgling problem as well. Instead of making the bubble killer, I simply put a "hook" at the bottom of the overflow. Fixed the problem very easily. Just add pvc where the water enters your sump, such that, the pvc goes to the bottom of the sump, add 2 90 elbows so it forms a hook at the bottom that points upward, and thats it. you'll be silent. it will form a J. i added a cheap piece of acrylic to the top of the sump above the hook (cut a hole for the pvc going into the sump) to keep splash inside the sump. (think the acrylic piece was $3 at home depot).

another silencing technique is a $9.77 twin size foam mattress pad from walmart. i cut pieces that fit on to the doors of my stand, made them double thick, and used double sided sticker squares to connect them, and they also make a noticeable difference quieting the sump and equipment in the stand vs without them.

If it's bubbling and burping I think that means you are overwhelming your overflow.

Not necessarily, in general not enough air will cause a "siphon/flush" situation with an air behind water drain. Though 600gph is just about max for a 1" drain....it could be close & with any type of obstruction.......

Thanks! Im reading the link on RC now to see if there ever is a mod to work in a non-overflow box single drain system such as mine.

A siphon drain reauires a minimum of two lines, one for normal & one for backup - run on a single drain is asking for trouble.

You can get it relatively quiet with a reverse Durso in the sump. Use at least 1.5" pipe, 2" would be better...........example:

Not necessarily, in general not enough air will cause a "siphon/flush" situation with an air behind water drain. Though 600gph is just about max for a 1" drain....it could be close & with any type of obstruction.......

A siphon drain reauires a minimum of two lines, one for normal & one for backup - run on a single drain is asking for trouble.

You can get it relatively quiet with a reverse Durso in the sump. Use at least 1.5" pipe, 2" would be better...........example:

What he said. The siphon drain is dead silent and IMHO best. But, you are asking for trouble with a single drain. Do you have a return you could repurpose as a drain and run the return up over the back?

What he said. The siphon drain is dead silent and IMHO best. But, you are asking for trouble with a single drain. Do you have a return you could repurpose as a drain and run the return up over the back?

I have a single 1" bulkhead in the back-center-bottom of tank which is surrounded by an overflow. I then have (2) 3/4" bulkheads in the top back corners for returns. I could make on a "back-up" drain, but how would that work with an overflow?

(edited)

I took the advice of many and came to a decision. It is not totally silent, but a vast improvement and totally livable. 47a31f1a-27a2-6575.jpg A 1"-2" adapter with a reverse Durso. A beautiful thing. :) :)

Edited by bcoop78