Eastern Fish Health Workshop 2012

gjbarord

Hi Everyone,

I just arrived in Lake Placid, NY to attend the Eastern Fish Health Workshop 2012. Thanks to the gracious support of WAMAS, I will be presenting on successful disease treatment in nautiluses. While nautiluses are not very common in the hobbyist trade, the workshop also covers a variety of other topics from fish disease, to ornamental fish aquaculture, to coral reef health.

So, for the next week I am going to be updating this thread with the information from all of the talks. The first talks start tonight at 7PM and run to 11PM.... Late night so I probably won't get the first update till the morning. I think there is a lot of important information that could be useful to WAMAS members for their own personal systems and fish but also from a broader standpoint of some of the conservation issues going on as a result of disease outbreaks and introduction of foreign species.

I hope this turns into an interactive thread, so if anyone has any questions related to the talks or anything else, please post them here. I also hope to provide WAMAS members with some good resources/contacts outside of the workshop which can be of use in the future.

I'll end there for now. Again, this would not have been possible without the support of WAMAS.

Greg

I would be very interested in finding out what causes intestinal prolapse/egg prolapse in clownfish, if possible. This is relatively common occurrence in clowns, yet nobody really knows what causes this and how to treat the fish. Some clowns recover, but majority dies.

For example, these are pics of a female clown

sickchrys1.jpg

sickchrys2.jpg

Similar problem happens to males. I can get you more pics, if needed. Thanks in advance.

Edited by marinap

Greg, we're all looking forward to your updates and are very happy to have helped provide partial support for attendance and presentation through the WAMAS Grant Program. Good luck with the presentation about your ongoing doctoral research project.

Thanks for the initial questions. If I can't find out the answer during this week, I will definitely get some email contacts of some other people who might know.

Sorry about the late reply. The internet service is not the greatest. Here goes!

Greg

Day 1: April 23

The first day, or actually night, of talks centered around interesting case studies around the country of fish disease and how certain institutions/individuals went about trying to figure out the answers. In some cases, there were no answers.

Talk 1: New species of Ich in northern hogsuckers.

Talk 2: Parasite introduction from cows

Talk 3: Neural problem causes marlin to beach

Talk 4: Fungal infection in Great Lakes

Talk 5: Unhealthy guppies in a research setting

Talk 6: Parasites in fish filets

Talk 7: Bacterial infection in zebra danios

Talk 8: Granulomas in weakfish

Talk 9: Fish kills in Mississippi

Talk 10: Buoyancy problems in fishes related to change in food

Talk 11: Disease in bluegill

Talk 12: Disease outbreak in catfish aquaculture facility

Talk 13: Malnutrition in discus

Talk 14: New parasite in tilapia

Talk 15: Bacterial infections in bonnethead sharks

Talk 16: Viral transmission in blue crab

Those were all done in one night! Long but interesting night. I will be able to elaborate more on each talk when I have some more free time. I also thought that I would leave it up to everyone to ask questions about some of the talks they are interested in and I can give more information that way as well.

Off to lunch and more talks. Will post yesterday's long day soon!

Greg

Day 2: April 24

This was the first day of actual sessions. Each session had 4-7 talks. I'll give the outline of the overall sessions and as before, if anyone has any specific questions or interests throw them out there.

Special Session 1: Developments in sea lice biology and control in the northeast.

Special Session 2: Creating optimal habitats for aquatic animals requires the knowledge of natural history, biology, and experience of each species.

Special Session 3: Viral hemorrhagic septicemia is a huge problem in the Great Lakes region and has evolved to multiple strains.

Special Session 4: Environmental drivers that facilitate coral disease in the wild and how to deal with these diseases.

Day 3: April 25

First day that included general sessions, which are talks that don't really fit in any other category...

General Session 1: Koi health and disease in the Great Lakes.

Special Session 5: New diseases in sportfish and improved diagnostics for diseases in wild and captive populations to manage health problems.

Special Session 6: The impact of global warming on fish disease.

Special Session 7: Nutrition is an important factor in fish health.

General Session 2: Vibrio, salmon, Great Lakes, and koi.

Day 4: April 26

General Session 3: Clams, nautiluses, and snails.

General Session 4: Oysters, zebra sharks, and flounders.

Special Session 8: Pinpointing parasitic infections before they become a big problem.

Special Session 9: Ranavirus and its spread from amphibians to reptiles to fishes.

General Session 5: Seahorses, jellyfish, and tilapia

Overall, it was a great conference with a lot of important issues discussed and brought up. I will be updating the thread on the questions posed when I hear back. Again, if anyone has any questions or comments about any of the topics let me know.

Greg

Hi Greg. I'm interested in hearing generally what was said on the topic of fish nutrition. Also, how did your paper's presentation go?

Regarding the fish nutrition, there were some pretty good talks. One talk was about buoyancy problems in fish that ended up being related to the change in food being given. It brought up the good point that, just like humans, fishes undergo changes in their metabolism and physiology when the food is changed. In this case, it caused the fishes to accumulate gas in their stomachs for a few hours after a feed. Then the fish went back to normal, for the most part. This case was in an outside system and the fish were so heavily bloated that they floated out of the water and the sun started to "bake" some of them. These fish developed sores and infections and eventually ended up dying. The recommendations were to make sure that whenever there is a change in food type to gradually make the switch and ensure that you have the original food handy just in case you need to switch back for whatever reason.

The take home message from all the nutrition talks was that it is VERY IMPORTANT, to the health of fishes and invertebrates. And to consider the food and supplements when you purchase them. The talks alluded to a few supplements, such as garlic, that have been shown to be effective in some fishes against certain types of bacteria but also lethal to the fishes in high doses. So, doing the research beforehand will save a lot of time and energy.

Regarding my talk, I was told it went pretty well and was the "funniest".... I asked if that was a bad thing and everyone said no, the information was still great but the humor made it even more enjoyable. So, I'll take that compliment any day!!

Looking forward to speaking at one of your meetings!

Greg

I have seen conflicting information regarding garlic... Namely in that the allicin (usually considered to be the "active ingredient" in garlic) is usually destroyed during processing. Was there much talk of this?

Hi Chad,

I am actually in Israel right now on a research trip but I can definitely look up your question in my notes when I return to the USA. I know there were a couple talks that mentioned garlic so I should be able to get the answer.

Greg