Had Enough of my Skimmer

khalid

I have officially had enough of my Super Reef Octopus XP-5000 External Protein Skimmer randomly flooding my wooden floor and burned my reefflo dart. Came home today to find it had gone nuts and dumped around five gallons on the floor. Between it and the BRS rock that keeps leaching Phosphate which has caused me to lose all my coral and has not allowed me to keep corals alive since the upgrade to this 180 G I am very close to calling it quits for a while and downgrading to one of my smaller tanks. Sorry for venting! Don't get me wrong the skimmer pulls out some nasty things and I'll be keeping it for when I move and I can have a fish filter room where I can set it up so if it does flood the water will just get dumped back into the sump but for now I have to replace it. What is a good internal skimmer that you guys recommend?

Fish list:

Blue Tang

vlamingi tang

Lavender tang

Flame Angel

Cherub Angel

file fish

3 chromis

Tank is bare bottom

Thanks for the help. :)

bummer about the external. Any chance you can mount it over your sump? If not that, what about investing in a davy jones locker or other shutoff for your skimmer?

I've got the internal version and it rocks on my fairly high bioload system.

bummer about the external. Any chance you can mount it over your sump? If not that, what about investing in a davy jones locker or other shutoff for your skimmer?

I've got the internal version and it rocks on my fairly high bioload system.

davy jones is an excellent option. no more flooding.

http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/proteinskimmers/Davy-Jones-Skimmate-Locker

or for a 5g bucket:

http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/proteinskimmers/Davy-Jones-Skimmate-Superlocker

Thanks everyone!

Thanks I think I am going to have to invest in the davy jones. I had a 5g bucket that's what saved me from having 10g dumped on the floor. I am also going to play around with everything under the stand to set up the skimmer with out having to worry about this happening again hopefully. thanks everyone for the input. If I decide the Avast is the rout I want to go which one would work with my system?

get the biggest you can fit under your stand. or the 5g lid if you have a 5g bucket already in use.

the beauty of the davy jones is the pressure sensor will simply turn off your skimmer when the davy jones locker is full, thus preventing future floods! it can also send you an alert if you have a controller like an apex!

get the biggest you can fit under your stand. or the 5g lid if you have a 5g bucket already in use.

the beauty of the davy jones is the pressure sensor will simply turn off your skimmer when the davy jones locker is full, thus preventing future floods! it can also send you an alert if you have a controller like an apex!

Thank you very much Ryan, I am going to redo everything under my stand and see if I can get the 5g bucket one to fit under it. Either way I'll be getting one of them for sure. :)

That sucks man. I have the Super Reef Octopus 3000 External cone and I friggin love it! Hows it flooding though? It has a hose from the collection cup that will recycle the water if it gets too high? Atleast mine does. I mean its fool proof :blink:

............Hows it flooding though?................

That's what I'd want to know, what makes it go batty? In general terms we usually know what makes it react a given way - food = kill, epoxy = go nuts..........

The skimmate locker seems like the most economical option.......except if you take 5g out you might affect sg? Smaller might be better, cut it off before it take a large amount (meaning you know X amount is more than normal = cut the skimmer off).

The skimmate locker seems like the most economical option.......except if you take 5g out you might affect sg? Smaller might be better, cut it off before it take a large amount (meaning you know X amount is more than normal = cut the skimmer off).

That's a good point. 5g is a lot, unless you have a huge tank.

The largest Davy Jones after the 5g lid is 1.5g:

http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/proteinskimmers/Davy-Jones-Skimmate-Locker

That's a truckload of skimmate...

Khalid, the skimmate locker is a great solution, but if you already have your external sitting in or tapped into a 5 gallon bucket, another solution is to use their ATO device to control the skimmer pump. In the event, then, of a skimmer overflow, when the water level's rising in your bucket, when it reaches the level sensor, it will cut off power to the pump, shutting the skimmer down and prevent overflow. It's really the same principle that's used in the skimmate locker.

That sucks man. I have the Super Reef Octopus 3000 External cone and I friggin love it! Hows it flooding though? It has a hose from the collection cup that will recycle the water if it gets too high? Atleast mine does. I mean its fool proof :blink:

If you use a seperate waste container that recycling feature is no longer useful. Also, That recycling feature is not 100% sure thing so don't count on it to save you from a flood.

That's a good point. 5g is a lot, unless you have a huge tank.

The largest Davy Jones after the 5g lid is 1.5g:

That's a truckload of skimmate...

I agree I am going to go with the 1.5g since it will take up less room under the stand.

Khalid, the skimmate locker is a great solution, but if you already have your external sitting in or tapped into a 5 gallon bucket, another solution is to use their ATO device to control the skimmer pump. In the event, then, of a skimmer overflow, when the water level's rising in your bucket, when it reaches the level sensor, it will cut off power to the pump, shutting the skimmer down and prevent overflow. It's really the same principle that's used in the skimmate locker.

Thank you very much for sharing that option. I currently have a 5g bucket I am using but it's too larg to fit under the stand so I want to get something I can hide for a better look. :)