To keep or not to keep

Laurie

I have a beautiful cinnamon tomato clown that has dominated my tank for nearly 10 years. Whenever I put my hands in the tank it goes into attack mode. Very unnerving when I am trying to do some aquascaping. So I have devised some dividers that sort of keep it at bay.

Over the weekend, when I removed it's favorite host frogspawn to do some fragging, I was able to catch the clown. I have often thought if I caught it, I would get rid of it.

I was considering replacing it with a pair of Oscellis clowns. I have read and heard they are more docile. And more social in their community.Can anyone substantiate that. Or would I likely be trading one cranky fish for 2. I have somewhat of an attachment to the tomato clown as strange as it may seem. It's name is "MF" which has multiple meanings. To the grandkids it is "Mean Fish".

I had occs in a 150g and they played nice with all the residents, but my female would not let me get in the tank to clean at all. She'd bite me all the time regardless of where I was trying to clean.

I have a pair of Oscellis in my 55 gallon tank and the female like to charge my hand and bite me in-between my fingers every time I reach in the tank. But they do get along with their tank mates.

I think there is a big difference between a tomato and an ocellaris. My ocellaris have always been very peaceful while my tomato was always super aggressive.

I think there is a big difference between a tomato and an ocellaris. My ocellaris have always been very peaceful while my tomato was always super aggressive.

well I guess I have to decide how attached I am to the clown. Finding it an acceptable new home is key.

Anyone want a Cinnamon tomato clown? It coexists with the other residents just fine.

Thanks all for your input.

So are all clowns territorial or is it primarily the females?

Clowns can learn that your hand is not something to bite if you're willing to teach them. I had a 4" gold stripe maroon clown repeatedly attack my hand and bite the webbing between the fingers. After a while, I started flicking the clown back every time it bit. Sometimes I would score a direct hit on its' head. After a few weeks of battle, I finally won and now the clown will allow me to pet it and sometimes pick it up out of the water.

I tried taking on my clownfish and ended up knocking down corals as we duked it out for dominance. I gave up as I got cuts on my hand from bumping into things. I have trained many dogs, but think this fish has got the best of me.

Been there, done that! I have an evil clownfish (ocellaris) and boy she is more evil than that Penguin guy in Batman!!! Seriously!!! I am kinda scared of her at this point. I am almost positive that she is building a mail-order DIY sniper to kill me sometime soon.

I tried rearranging my rock work especially around her home of another vicious leather coral. This leather coral is definitely out for world domination since it splits and drops a finger off every other week! Of course, even after turning her territory upside down, she still attacks me every time I put my hand in that tank.

Also, she is known to bully new fish around all the time. After a week of bullying she accepts them and kinda let's them live in only the areas of the tank she finds suitable for these poor fishes.

My point being, tomato or ocellaris, clown fishes are extremely territorial especially after mating. My advice is to take him out of the tank when you can. Or you can let him win and be subjected to future abuse and torture. ;)