Avast MR5 Media Reactor for Carbon

RubberFrog

Anybody running one of these for carbon http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/mediareactors/MR-5 ?

I am on the verge of ordering one, but I want to get some feedback first. Thanks.

I am. Works great.

My old BRS reactor was easier/faster to change the media, but the MR5 holds a lot more media, so I like that.

Using another MR5 for GFO as well.

What pump are you guys running, and/or planning on running, with this?

I have a MJ1200 running both of my MR5's. Avast ships each unit with a handy ball valve to adjust how much flow enters the reactor.

I will be t-ing mine off the main return pump and running it thru the Avast Oxone reactor first, then to the MR5 with Carbon. I will be using the Sica 3.0 pump, it's what Justin at Avast recommended.... I am currently running a Rio 2500 pump as a main return to my 90 with nothing t-ing off it. I currently use a MJ1200 cobalt to power my carbon reactor, and valve it down.

I recently built one for biopellets and about to buy another for carbon. I'm still planning my plumbing for gravity feed from the overflow.

Edited by killrblue

I have a MJ1200 running both of my MR5's. Avast ships each unit with a handy ball valve to adjust how much flow enters the reactor.

Do you have them in series or parallel?

Do you have them in series or parallel?

I got a Y adapter from Lowe's that splits the MJ1200 feed to a ball valve on each reactor, for independent flow control.

My plan is to order an MR5 sometime this week and then pick up a mj1200 from one of our sponsors. Any recommendations for GAC?

What do you use to feed yours?

I have a manifold built on a Mag12 that feeds my refugium, frag tank, MR1 Carbon Reactor and the MR5-18 biopellet reactor

The rox 0.8 is the best, but expensive. I use the large particle lignite carbon from BRS, not as efficient as the rox but alot cheaper and does what I need it to do.

How often do you guys change out your carbon?

Oh and thanks for playing along with all my dumb questions!

How often do you guys change out your carbon?

Oh and thanks for playing along with all my dumb questions!

I change my Carbon monthly, and GFO every 2 months.

mr5 flows better than most reactors, i have a TLF 150 i tried to use biopellets in and it was a waste of time...MR5 18 i have made a huge difference, so now i use the TLF for carbon when i run it and it works as good as i needs too...eventually another mr5 will replace it though.

i did the you build it kit and it took about ten minutes plus drying time...WELL WORTH THE SAVINGS if you can glue it you can do it.

i use a MJ1200 to feed both (though i used a T cause i had it laying around....for biopellets and carbon its barely enough flow but if youare going off your return you will be just fine)

You didn't have any back pressure issues with the mj1200? I noticed on brs they recommended not using them for reactors because of back pressure.

it works fine for me, still using it on my mr5-18 but just for biopellets right now as i needed some extra flow thru them....again i would use a t of my return pump and save on some energy/heat in the tank if i had it my way but what can ya do...

i think when i used it for both it was a little underpowered, but i was using a T not a y with a ballvalve on each reactor, probably woulda been better with a Y but only by a little.

When you first start with the GFO start with it at half the recommended dosage for about two weeks before increasing it. This gives the corals time to adjust to the lower available phosphate levels.

When adding carbon for the first time, also do it slowly and remember that the carbon will make the water more clear so corals can be burned if you're not careful. Let them adjust to the increase in light.

So should I start with maybe one cup of carbon and then up it one cup per week?

The rox 0.8 is the best, but expensive. I use the large particle lignite carbon from BRS, not as efficient as the rox but alot cheaper and does what I need it to do.

Free shipping (I think) if you buy a 5 gal bucket...I'd buy half of it if the shipping is really free and I got the half with the bucket.

Not a super good price break over smaller sizes, but free shipping is nice.

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay