Refractometer Opinions

darkcirca

I'm looking to purchase a new refractometer. I couldn't tell you how long we purchased ours (I'm guessing 3-4 years ago), but recently it stopped holding calibration. I picked up some 35ppt calibration solution (Thanks Johnny!) as I was always calibrating it to 0. Sometimes it works great, then other times I can calibrate it and within a few minutes it's off again.

Today was the last straw. I calibrated it, walked over to the tank (literally 5 feet) and took a reading. It was off the chart (literally, above the top line). Had to recalibrate it again in order to test the tank.

So, anyone recommend a specific refractometer? I'm pretty certain the one I have is Sybon. Would prefer to keep it under $100, really I'd prefer to be lower. I've already dropped over 1k on this tank since the beginning of the year on various equipment and other things.

Edited by darkcirca

Sadly, it's an international seller. I prefer US sellers. Too many issues with international orders, plus the timeframe to get it.

Anyone on WAMAS have one of the seawater ones - Vee Gee or DD?

Figuring if I'm going to drop money on another, I might as well get something different...

yeah, I use the DD one. That's what I linked to above.

I've checked it against my Dad's refractometer - a DD that's the prior version before the seawater version and there was a little bit of a difference. 3 points if I remember correctly.

yeah, I use the DD one. That's what I linked to above.

I've checked it against my Dad's refractometer - a DD that's the prior version before the seawater version and there was a little bit of a difference. 3 points if I remember correctly.

..yea I realized that AFTER I posted. Must say, this lack of sleep is really getting to me.

I'm in debate between it and the Vee Gee now. Not sure what I like better. Guess I'll read up some more at work tomorrow and make a choice. Seems like one of them may be the best way to go.

(edited)

I bet they are all the same and come from the same place, so I wouldn't worry too much about your "choice".

marinedepot:

Marine-Depot-Aquarium-Refractometer-1.jpg

eBay Hong Kong blue version:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RHS-10ATC-Salinity-Refractometer-0-10-ATC-Aquarium-Saltwater-BLUE-RUBBER-STRIP-/300664227563?pt=BI_Cellular_Optical_Television_Test_Equipment&hash=item4600fc06eb

dd:

SS531102-2.jpg?1330010676

eBay Hong Kong black version:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RHS-10ATC-Salinity-Aquarium-Refractometer-Black-Rubber-/290585433068?pt=BI_Cellular_Optical_Television_Test_Equipment&hash=item43a83dd3ec#ht_2590wt_1037

they look identical to me.

Edited by Ryan S

They are actually different - eBay ones are for saltwater/brine, not seawater. Plus DD and Marine Depot (pro model) do not have a scale to zero. I've got to decide if I like that, or the Vee Gee (which goes to zero).

I think I'm going to go with a seawater one, at least it would be a change up to the one I have. The brine ones seem cheap enough that I can always buy one if I want to down the road.

No one else on WAMAS have a seawater refractometer?

Ryans, looks can supposedly be deceiving. I don't know nor do I understand the exact reasons, but it's been discussed countless times the difference between brince and seawater refractometers.

I've never seen/used the Vee Gee one. We typically want our water in such a narrow range I can't imagine mearuing down to zero being of great use.

Good luck with your decision!

I've never seen/used the Vee Gee one. We typically want our water in such a narrow range I can't imagine mearuing down to zero being of great use.

Good luck with your decision!

The Vee Gee, from what I read, can be calibrated with RO to zero. I was just thinking about that as a backup, in case I run out of calibration solution.

Seems like I may have made up my mind, but I need to read more to reassure myself. I'm putting a deadline on this purchase for this weekend, otherwise I will take all the time in the world to decide. Kinda like that external pump I debated on for months before buying.

(edited)

darkcirca has made up her mind, and that's cool.

but we can just agree to disagree on the ebay models I suppose. I've used them for years with no problems at all.

this one is brine on ebay; this one, which I linked, is salinity.

Here are the vee gee specs of their refractometer:

"Range 0 to 100

Edited by Ryan S

darkcirca has made up her mind, and that's cool.

but we can just agree to disagree on the ebay models I suppose. I've used them for years with no problems at all.

this one is brine on ebay; this one, which I linked, is salinity.

It doesn't say anything about being natural seawater. I'd be hesitant on it, especially at the cost.

My issue with ordering from overseas stems from numerous no-show packages (from high-rated sellers even) and the timeframe for them to get here. I've just had too many issues with overseas orders from eBay to really want to try again.

There's tons of posts on RC about various refractometers. Mixed reviews on everything.

I'm weighing my options between DD and Vee Gee right now though.

(edited)

My issue with ordering from overseas stems from numerous no-show packages (from high-rated sellers even) and the timeframe for them to get here. I've just had too many issues with overseas orders from eBay to really want to try again.

There's tons of posts on RC about various refractometers. Mixed reviews on everything.

I'm weighing my options between DD and Vee Gee right now though.

I can't argue with anything there. They are being shipped from across the world. From who knows who. And they take 2-4 weeks to arrive. If you need one right now, then this is automatically not an option for you.

Here is BRS's refractometer. Zoom in on the photo of the case and you can see the exact same label on the ebay ones "RHS-10ATC".

darkcirca - bankyf had one of these for sale, I dont know if he still does, but it would probably cost the same as those refractometers you're looking at, and everyone i know that has one raves about them. just another option.

Edited by Ryan S

I can't argue with anything there. They are being shipped from across the world. From who knows who. And they take 2-4 weeks to arrive. If you need one right now, then this is automatically not an option for you.

Here is BRS's refractometer. Zoom in on the photo of the case and you can see the exact same label on the ebay ones "RHS-10ATC".

darkcirca - bankyf had one of these for sale, I dont know if he still does, but it would probably cost the same as those refractometers you're looking at, and everyone i know that has one raves about them. just another option.

BRS is also a NaCL one, not a seawater. I figure if I am buying another, I should get a seawater, since I already have an NaCL one.

The Milwaukee has iffy reviews from everything I've read, especially over it's lifetime.

please read Refractometer discussion wamas...based on DD experience

much of this was covered in a thread a few months ago.

been using one i got from a guy going out of the hobby, think its like the 40dollar version linked numerous times never had a problem

i do use calibration fluid to check occasionally (get the fluid from F&F,,,,i think BRK and a few others carry it too)

(edited)

Well, for what's it worth, this thread talked me into getting one of these. Bankyf had 2 for sale, so I grabbed 1 of them. If someone else wants one, just shoot him a PM.

PS: I have one of these for sale, used about 3 times, for $25 cash. It works perfectly. :)

Edited by Ryan S