What color background do you have on your tank?

dano

I was so close to folding and cashing out but instead have decided to double my ante.... so I'm moving from a 72 to a 130 and the new used tank has clear glass in the back. I was wondering what people have done with their tank backs. I have one that was manufactured blue and one that was painted black. I think I like the black better. I used to have one with a plasticized sheet attached to the back of a coral reef scene. And another tank I had attached black velour with velcro to the back. Just wondering what others have done and like. Thanks.

I currently have a black piece of plexiglass that works fine. Have also painted the back black. Used a mix of blue and green on my 180 that looked good and a little different. Made it look relistic with colrs changing due to sun, etc.

The more tanks I've seen in this hobby, the more I've discovered that the backing on a tank is a HUGE aspect to the overall aesthetics and final product even though it's probably one of the most overlooked things. Unless you're a master coral grower with deep pockets who will have your tank up for a while, the back will always be there. There's a lot of trade offs.

Nlack will make your colors pop, but makes the tank looked more boxed in and small. Blue usually looks industrial, however gives more depth to the tank. I personally think that neither of these options are perfect and you have to get a little more intricate for a good product.

I have a mirror on the back of my tank now and love it! I'm not sure how it would look on a big tank but I'd like to try it at some point. For a small tank, it makes it look a larger than it is, hides the cords, and doesn't draw attention away from the corals like blue might. Another option that I really like if it's done right, is fading the paint from black at the bottom to blue at the top thus making your corals pop, but also giving you a little more depth. The final one that I've found, and probably what I'll try to use on my next big tank, is a shadow box. It looks amazing, the corals still pop a little, and you have incredible depth. If the picture in the top post doesn't sell you, I don't know what will! http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1868825

img_8463.jpg

Edited by L8 2 RISE

The final one that I've found, and probably what I'll try to use on my next big tank, is a shadow box. It looks amazing, the corals still pop a little, and you have incredible depth. If the picture in the top post doesn't sell you, I don't know what will! http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1868825

img_8463.jpg

Absolutely stunning!! Best background I've ever seen!!

I've used picture backgrounds in freshwater tanks, but I'm going to try blue paint for my first reef tank. I had a can of 'true blue' krylon in the garage, and just painted the tank yesterday. I thought I liked the look of the black, but I think the blue will actually be a bit better. Certainly better than power cords, pipes, and bare drywall I'd see if I didn't apply some kind of background.

I was in the PetSmart a couple days ago and I saw they sell mirror-backed tanks now. I guess the fish will think you're surrounding them?

What it seems to me is that if everything is going well, the back of the tank will be covered in coralline algae etc. anyway.

thanks,

Rick

I have one of those "picture" backgrounds that I installed on this tank when it was a FOWLR 10 years back... I also run the sump tank on an early lighting cycle (7am-3pm). These two things give me a slightly lit background that has a really nice overall effect in the mornings before the main tank come on.

No where near as nice as the picture above (or some of the others in the same RC thread as that one), but enough to make me think that I would never do a plain colored background again.