overflow cutoff for RO water resevoir

Laurie

I need to find an automatic cutoff for the water supply on my RO water resevoir. A few times I have forgotten about it and found water overflowing from the can. What I need is a setup with a float sensor that will trigger a cutoff valve to my water supply when the water level height is reached. Anyone know what is available or what might work.

That would work to shut off the RO water feed to the storage container. But what about the pressure valve from the water system to the RO system. Don't I need to have a cutoff for that too? I would think over time that the pressure would cause leaking.

I don't see how the float attaches to the RO resevoir. I am using a 30gal plastic container to store my water. Any suggestions on that.

I am not 100% sure I understand your question but here is how I have mine set up.

I have a float valve on my RO/DI reservoir. I use a small plastic trashcan (3.5 gal I think). Drill the hole for the float ABOVE your desired water level, then adjust the float to shut off the water at a point below the hole.

When full, the float shuts off RO/DI to the container. In turn the back pressure shuts off water supplied from your tap to the RO/DI inlet. No water is enters the RO/DI and no water is being wasted down the drain.

If you are trying to avoid overflowing your container by shutting down water production once full, this the system you want.

Edited by onux20

I will try to post some tonight....or your could just drive to Woodbridge and look at it, I dont mind that either...

Lorton is a little closer. But I will also try to post pics tonight.

My set up is a little different becasue I have the system tied in to top off water 3.5 gal and a 32 gal brute I used to make water change water. My system fills the top off container then the brute. Same concept just a little wrinkle to suit my needs.

My unit is plumbed to fill up a 20g brute for the ATO and a 44g brute for water to make saltwater, each brute has a float valve in it. It is my understanding that to make a float valve work you also need the Automatic Shut Off Valve on the RODI unit itself, when my float valve activates it shuts off the ASOV and my water pressure in the RO/DI unit itself drops to zero. Not sure totally how it works since the water is still on at the sink it's just not going to the filter, I guess the ASOV valve creates back pressure that stops the water, always wondered what really happens since the waters still on but not going anywhere, I have the faucet adapter with the little switch diverter

Edited by Big Country

Here is one from Bulk Reef Supply. Some of the LFSs may have the same.

Works like a champ!

The ASOV that comes with this kit will shut off the water going to from your water source to the RO unit and shut it down from producing filtered or waste water. The float valve will stop the flow to your reservior.

See the diagram from this situation at Spectrapure on how this is setup. Spectrapure has great diagrams for all kinds of other situations too.

Looks like this will work for me. Apparently, I don't need to worry about pressure from the water supply since there is back pressure from the cutoff. Thanks for the info.

Looks like this will work for me. Apparently, I don't need to worry about pressure from the water supply since there is back pressure from the cutoff. Thanks for the info.

Here is the float valve by itself. I think this is all you really need.

Here is the float valve by itself. I think this is all you really need.

Hmmmm,

I agree, the float will shut off water to your resivoir before it floods however, you will continue to send water down the drain until you manually turn off the tap. We waste enough water when we "make" water. I would think it is best to employ the auto shutoff valve to limit the wasting of water.

I would go for the complete setup not just the float valve.

Ryan is not wrong I just dont agree.

He's a little bit off in that "all you need" is the problem. As Rioreef mentioned, the ASOV is the other important piece. That's the valve that, upon sensing backpressure, shuts everything off.

Hmmmm,

I agree, the float will shut off water to your resivoir before it floods however, you will continue to send water down the drain until you manually turn off the tap. We waste enough water when we "make" water. I would think it is best to employ the auto shutoff valve to limit the wasting of water.

I would go for the complete setup not just the float valve.

Let me add a ball valve as well. Laurie said this was just going to an ATO tank right? All you need is the ball valve before the RO/DI unit, and the float valve I linked. Why do you need the ASOV? Open the ball valve to fill the container. It will shut off automatically when it's full due to the float valve. Then turn off the ball valve when you get a chance and leave it off unless filling the container.

Edited by Ryan S

Take a look at the video link in the product link to BRS that Ron (onux20) posted. It was helpful to me to understand how to fully cut off waterflow from the RO system.

Video Link

Let me add a ball valve as well. Laurie said this was just going to an ATO tank right? All you need is the ball valve before the RO/DI unit, and the float valve I linked. Why do you need the ASOV? Open the ball valve to fill the container. It will shut off automatically when it's full due to the float valve. Then turn off the ball valve when you get a chance and leave it off unless filling the container.

Because if the "when you get a chance" is hours away or one were to forget about it, the waster water is still flowing with nothing being produced since it's cut off at the float.

Because if the "when you get a chance" is hours away or one were to forget about it, the waster water is still flowing with nothing being produced since it's cut off at the float.

I see. And does waste water running for a few hours go through the filters, the resin, and the membrane?

My RO/DI unit I got a couple months ago, here, came with a ASOV. I never installed it, it's sitting in a bag. I never really cared about a few hours worth of waste water going through the system, but if that's wearing down the filters and whatnot early, then I don't see any reason why I shouldn't install the ASOV when I get home tonight.

Laurie - Consider my advice having now been corrected. I'd go with onux's first link to the kit with the ASOV as well!

Edited by Ryan S

Guest thefishman65

It is going through sediment and carbon (so those wear out faster). It is going by the RO at least so it can exit the system. Since there is back pressure I am guessing it is not going through the RO membrane.

Speaking of wasted water I collect my RO waste water. I have been told that I can use another float and ASOV on this line to automatically shut the system down if the waste reserve fills. Any thought on this?

I just use the float valve just in case I dont make it back in time and the storage container gets full. I try to stay on top about watching the water, but I do forget sometimes, that what I have the float valve for. If your worried about all the all the above comments, then get the ASOV, it's only $25.00, if not, just turn the water feed valve off after your done manually. The ASOV is a great idea to have. I just ordered one myself... if for nothing else, to stop the flow of water thru the membrane and keeping the waste water to a min. (if there is such a thing in regards to "making water")

Here is one from Bulk Reef Supply. Some of the LFSs may have the same.

Works like a champ!

So I was looking at this one and then saw from Marine Depot a different one

http://www.marinedepot.com/SpectraPure_Auto_Shut_Off_Valve_Float_Kit_for_RO_Systems_Shut_Off_Valves_for_RO_DI_Water_Filter_Systems-SpectraPure-SP5131-FIRORASO-vi.html

Having trouble figuring out why the one from marine Depot is so much more. The float valve looks better made, but the specs seem the same. Any reason I should consider it.

I definately want the Shut off Valve because I don't want my waste water running unnecessarily.

So I was looking at this one and then saw from Marine Depot a different one

http://www.marinedepot.com/SpectraPure_Auto_Shut_Off_Valve_Float_Kit_for_RO_Systems_Shut_Off_Valves_for_RO_DI_Water_Filter_Systems-SpectraPure-SP5131-FIRORASO-vi.html

Having trouble figuring out why the one from marine Depot is so much more. The float valve looks better made, but the specs seem the same. Any reason I should consider it.

I definately want the Shut off Valve because I don't want my waste water running unnecessarily.

Cant see anything that makes it worth the extra cash. I think there is a BRS group buy runnig right now too. You might be able to get it for less than the listed price.