Litermeter 3

zygote2k

I just picked up an LM3. I'd like to use it to do the following- automatic top off from a reservoir and dosing of 2 part. Can someone tell me all of the parts that I'll need to complete this project?

yea. you will need two remote units for the 2 part dosing and possibly a float valve for the top off unless you know how much you evap daily and can do the math to replace it via the program.

Do you need 2 remote pumps? Or one remote pump and one water exchange module? To me it looks like the water exchange module is basically a remote pump with a water pressure Shut-off sensor (similar to in avast's top off kit). Then you'd just program the top off (water exchange module) for more than what you'd need and it would stop when the correct water level was reached.

I was planning on doing the same and that's what I thought I'd need to do. I'd be very interested to hear if you've tried yet or what you were planning. Thanks.

Litermeter main unit, remote pump, water exchange pump is what you would need.

I am running just the main and a remote. Nothing special too it. Get the manual if you do not have it from Spectrapures web site to see a hook up diagram. The water exchange pump uses a pressure switch to activate. If you had to you can open up the water exchange pump and engage the switch and secure it in that position. Then you can use the pump like a normal pump.

Another way of using the remote pumps is putting a 12v (proper amps) power supply on it and not plug it into the LM 3. This way you can plug it into your systems controller power bar, float switch, or timer and use it independent of the LM 3 main unit. The is discussed in several threads on ReefCentral.

I can help you get setup for 2 part dosing. We would calibrate the pumps first. And then set the dose amount.

I have not tried the top off set up personaly though.

David

I do this. If the tank is big enough and the evap rate reasonably (at least seasonally consistent) then all you need is the main Liter meter III and 2 auxillary pumps. Calibrate all 3 pumps, guestimate the rates and then adjust as needed.

Not sure why someone would buy LM pumps to use them on a different controller. There are plenty of cheaper options out there for peristaltic dosing pumps.

I have 3 pumps (including the built in one) on my LM3. I use them for water changes and kalk. I am only able to add 0.6 liters/day of kalk out of my stirrer without sending the pH over 8.5, so I have a dedicated Avast ATO that I use to make up the difference. One of my pumps is the water exchange module, but I don't use it as such. I guess it's a failsafe in case one of the pumps gets stuck on?

If you're going to do 2-part, just buy one additional pump. Save your money and use a dedicated ATO. If/when I ever start to dose 2-part, I'll likely switch to BRS dosing pumps for water changes since the LM is so easy to adjust the amount you dose.

Stop by and take a look at my set up, Rob. Although I use it for top off and water changes, it is set up pretty much the same as what you would need it to be.

I completely agree with everything beatle said. Don't get me wrong, I love my LM3 (I still consider it to be the single best aquarium purchase I have made), but if you are just going to use it for ATO, it is like getting a ferrari to drive to work every day in city traffic... nothing a prious wouldn't do just as well.

IMO, adding kalk is not just an ATO.

While the rate of evaporation doesn't fluctuate that much, it does change from time to time, and you have to adjust the Litermeter to compensate. It's not totally maintenance free in that respect.

I've also had the LM3 "fail" on me a few times. Before I switched to the Avast ATO, I would sometimes come home and find the level in the sump was lower than normal. The LM3 had been set into "all pumps off" mode for some reason. Not sure if there was a freak power outage or what, but this has happened to me a few times. Nothing is really failure-proof. Each system or method just has its different outcomes in the case of a failure.

Stop by and take a look at my set up, Rob. Although I use it for top off and water changes, it is set up pretty much the same as what you would need it to be.

I completely agree with everything beatle said. Don't get me wrong, I love my LM3 (I still consider it to be the single best aquarium purchase I have made), but if you are just going to use it for ATO, it is like getting a ferrari to drive to work every day in city traffic... nothing a prious wouldn't do just as well.

The client likes it because it will draw water from a reservoir instead of using an aqualifter or small pump. It will be used to dose the 2 part as well.