Input Needed: T5s

mindeeo

I have a Giesemann fixture with 2X250 MH, and 4 T5s. Wehave Radium 15k MH, and are now ready purchase the T5s. We have 95g mixed reeftank. We are unsure which ones to buy (actinic, super blue, etc.). We'd lovefor the corals to grow (but think the MH are doing that), and want to make thered, blues, purples pop. Any suggestions?

I am sure that there are more opinions than lights, butI am completely clueless at this point.

I have a Giesemann fixture with 2X250 MH, and 4 T5s. Wehave Radium 15k MH, and are now ready purchase the T5s. We have 95g mixed reeftank. We are unsure which ones to buy (actinic, super blue, etc.). We'd lovefor the corals to grow (but think the MH are doing that), and want to make thered, blues, purples pop. Any suggestions?

I am sure that there are more opinions than lights, butI am completely clueless at this point.

There's a long-standing T5 thread on ReefCentral (the most recent split is already over 30 pages) here. I looked over roughly the last 10 pages; most of the situations were for T5s on their own. There was one case that combined T5s with 14k MH and the recommended bulb combination was 3xATI Blue Plus and 1xATI Purple Plus.

The standalone combinations were as follows:

- 2xATI Blue Plus, 1xATI Purple Plus, 1xATI Coral Plus

- 3xBlue Plus, 1xGE6500k OR Giesman Midday OR ATI Aquablue Special

- 3xBlue Plus, 1xPurple Plus OR KZ Fiji Purple

- 2xBlue Plus, 1xPurple Plus, 1xKZ New Generation OR ATI Aquablue Special

With a 90 gallon I'm assuming the T5s you're looking for are 48"/54W. Where are you located? I'm in the middle of replacing my T5s (48"/54W) and have most of the bulb types in the combinations above (some unused, some being replaced). If you are reasonably close we might be able to do some experimentation to see what you like.

Edited by LCDRDATA

I always liked the ATI bulbs better than the Geiseman bulbs, seemed to have better color.

+1. ATI bulbs also seem to hold their PAR a little longer and spectrum shift a little less over time, plus they are among the cheaper bulbs. If you have 2 switches for your T5s, I really like the color of B+ and P+ bulbs for sunrise/sunset. If you want a real blue look, you could do a B+/actinic combo for sunrise/sunset and then an AB sp/P+ for the other 2. The key is the P+, really makes reds and pinks pop. Remember that the true actinics don't provide that much in terms of PAR (compared with other bulbs). Ultimately, I'd buy a couple extra bulbs and see what color combo appeals to you the most.

I would also agree with going to ATI bulbs over giesemann. I felt I had the same results. The giesemann bulbs are good, but I noticed a color shift quicker. Especially in the purple (red) bulb. There still nice, but I would go with ATI, and the ATI's are usually slightly cheaper.

Here's what I know about Giesmann bulbs-

rumor has it they sit in storage for years at a time in Europe before they get shipped to USA resulting in faster disintegration of the phosphors inside due to excessive temperature fluctuations. I don't know if this is plausible, but I had heard this from an LFS owner...

Unless you're looking to order something else from BRS please do yourself a favor and check out www.reefgeek.com

I ordered many T5 bulbs from them, their prices are competitive, there is nobody better at packaging bulbs, never had a single one break in shipment. Great customer service and they usually throw some candy into the box :clap:

This is supposedly a sweet purple bulb http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Bulbs/54_Watt/54W_Fiji_Purple_T5_HO_Fluorescent_by_Korallen_Zucht

Edited by Big Country

We are planning on buying them locally. We just need to fiure out which purple first. I called fins n feathers, but they didn't have them in stock. Marinescene has them, so I will probably swing by later today.

Ok, we just picked them up from marine scene (including the purple plus).

The next question is: What order should I install them from front to back?

They are.. But most people, atleast when stand alone go with "2xBlue Plus, 1xPurple Plus, 1xKZ New Generation OR ATI Aquablue Special".. Since your using 2 of the aquablues I would either put them both on the outside or both inside.