Come all plumbing experts

Tink

I've acquired a 45 acrylic tank, and plan to drill the back for the overflows. I will be using a Mag 7 as my return pump. My question is this, what size do you think I should make the drains? I plan on using two and I was thinking something along the lines of 3/4". I plan for 1 to tee off and feed the algae scrubber, with the remainder going directly into the sump, and the other to tee off and feed to fuge with the remainder going to the sump.

Next, I was considering how to do the return. I was planning on having a solid 1 inch line go to a 1 inch bulkhead, then to a three-quarter inch reducer into a three-quarter inch wye that splits into two 1/2" Lockaline nozzles. My other idea, was to have two separate 3/4" bulkheads going into their own 3/4" section of lock line.

As a side note, for in tank flow I have a MP10 powerhead.

As always, any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Personally, I wouldn't go any smaller than 1-inch or larger if you're able. It's way too easy for something to block a 3/4" drain. Even an air bubble (if you don't provide a vent) can choke it down very quickly.

(edited)

I was thinking the same thing origami, I'll amend my plan to 1" drains. The reason I was shooting for 2 was that I figured it was good to have a backup, it would be better to have 2 so that 1 splits to the scrubber and 1 to the fuge ( as opposed to 1 splitting to 3 locations), and that I thought the max flow of a single 1" pipe was around 600gph which will be pretty close to a Mag 7. Perhaps another consideration would be more dispersed water area being drawn into the sump, as opposed to it all being in one corner or the other.

This is just my thought process mind you, I don't know if I'm making the right assumptions.

Thanks for the replies folks.

Any return ideas? My reasoning for the 1" return was that I read that you should increase the pump output size 1 step to avoid any flow restriction.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Edited by Tink

As far as flow rates are concerned - this is the site I used to determine http://flexpvc.com/WaterFlowBasedOnPipeSize.shtml

It says that 1" pipe can handle 960 gph with no pressure. I have 2 1" drains on my tank and 2 Mag 12's for my returns. I would estimate my total return flow at around 1700-1800 GPH, split between 2 pipes for roughly 900 GPH through each with absolutely no problems.

Do you all use regular pvc under your tanks; or spa flex? Besides being easier to work work, is spa flex quieter than pvc, or can pvc be just as quiet if you don't mind the ease of use factor?

For inside the tank I was thinking an elbow at a 45 degree angle with a strainer. I have no experience with how quiet these are though?

While looking around I stumbled upon the Beananimal design, and it's supposed to be pretty quiet. If I went that route though, I'd have to have a skimmer box in the tank.

I'm also curious about the spa flex.

Drain capacity under gravity flow makes a lot of assumptions. I think that you have to be far more conservative about what a 1" drain can handle. That is, unless you want water on the floor. I would budget no more than 600 gph from a 1" drain - not 900+. If you want to be even more conservative, use 500 gph. My experience is that you will also see considerable loss from a strainer, if not at the start then as algae begins to grow on the grate and impede flow.

I would budget no more than 600 gph from a 1" drain - not 900+. My experience is that you will also see considerable loss from a strainer, if not at the start then as algae begins to grow on the grate and impede flow.

+1

I would use 1 -1.5" or 2-1" drain(s)

I would also put some form of a vent, whether modified durso type or similar with a 1/4" hole in the top.

100123_100141.jpg

my form of a modified version of a "durso" stand pipe. IMO much better than a "herbie" or whatever.

I have found that the less fitted bends the quieter, much less restrictive the flow or the push. Quieter being much more important and applicable on a drain since you have little or no hard fit bumps to splash off of causing noise.

I use mostly white pvc flex pipe and hard plumb only when a must and glue joints without purple priming using "rain-r-shine" blue glue. If done correctly and carefully, you can expect nothing less than superior results.

I agree regarding loss of flow with a strainer because of algae growth, it happened to me. My other issue with it, however, was loss of tank real estate. That 45 and strainer took up at least 2-3 inches both vertically and horizontally. my new tank uses a return from glass holes.com. Like it much better. thx