Gobi near the end of his life

paul b

I thought I would document the life of one of my favorite fish. This gobi has been with me for I think about 12 years. When I got him he looked like the first picture. Yellow and skinny. As he grew a little I bought another one and they became inseperable. After a few months, they turned grayish brown and developed bright blue spots all over him and became almost colorful. After a few years they started to spawn and kept spawning all their life until the female died last year at about 11 years old.

The male who is just over 4" continued to be healthy until last week when I noticed he did not come out to eat and I had to feed him in his cave. Then I practically had to hand feed him and this morning, before the lights came on, I noticed him sleeping in the front of the tank. This fish never came to the front so I knew the end was near. Today he is refusing his favorite meal of clam even if I put it right in his mouth. I am pretty sure he is also blind.

I am not sure how long gobies live but I am quite sure this one is dying of old age. He has no paracites, torn fins or cloudy eyes and he can swim.

Except for the fact, he is no longer eating and is sitting in the front, he looks perfect. I think tomorrow will be his last day and if I could catch him I would remove him today because I am sure the bristle worms will grab him as he becomes weaker.

I will miss him. :sad:

A baby

tank007.jpg

Teenager with his main squeeze

2008reef011.jpg

Tending the eggs

Gobieggs026.jpg

Middle age

Gobieggs006.jpg

In morning for his sweetheart

Custo009.jpg

Early this morning hanging out near the front glass.

This will be his last picture of him.

IMG_1721.jpg

Sorry to hear about this but it sounds like both he and his mate had a good life and that you got a lot of enjoyment out of them.

sorry to hear this....as I am sure we all can relate to this as are fish and corals become part of our life and family....

Thanks, he is a cool fish. But he did have a good life. I will try to catch him tonight before the bristle worms get him. I imagine he may have a few more days to go but it is not worth it and I would rather let him die in peace.

He looks so sad now because he is on the side of the tank near the front just starring out at me. Although I think he is almost blind. I know that look as I have seen it many times before. But I feel that if a fish can live long enough to die of old age, I did my job and I am happy for him.

Fish go downhill very fast when their lifespan is almost over.

Most reef fish live much older than 12 but I think this is the longest I have had a gobi.

I am sure it is just old age. :unsure:

I am sorry to hear this. Thank you for sharing the story of his life with us. He sounds like he had a great life.

Poor guy had a good life.

For newbies and semi-newbies like me, when the time comes for this sort of thing I highly recommend clove oil. I use it on my freshwater fish when their time is up and they just peacefully go to sleep and don't wake up.

http://www.oscarfishlover.com/fish-euthanasia

He looks like a wonderful old guy...

Also, you asked about lifespan, which raised my curiousity. It appears that yours were way beyond the average of 2-4 years (can that be right?).

Sorry about your loss.

Thanks for sharing, Paul. I love that you have been able to keep them for a full lifespan.

mindeeo, many marine fish are quite long lived. For example, here is a study that shows on page 21 (7 of the pdf) that the average age of wild tangs of a few different species is in the 10-20 year range with a bunch of data points well above 30 and one (probably particurally ornery lineatus) data point at ~45.

Thanks for the info.... I am glad to hear that, as I a,ong with the kids, are already get quite attached to our fish. I'd hate to have to explain the life cycle to them anytime soon.

when the time comes for this sort of thing I highly recommend clove oil. I use it on my freshwater fish when their time is up and they just peacefully go to sleep and don't wake up.

If I can catch him I may euthanize him. I am not sure how long gobi's live because I never had one this long before but he is not the oldest firh I have. Clowns can live over 20 years and I know tangs live at least 15 years, probably over 20.

My oldest fish was 18.