Clown Fish Behavior

Mando77

I have a snowflake and a black clown pair. Both are aquacultured and have started the habit of bitting me when ever I put my hand in the tank. Its like its personal? Is this a mating thing? I had a previous pair that was breeding and never had this happen. I just find it annoying. I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue.

That behavior is more typical of the more aggressive clown species (the Clarkiis, tomatos, and skunks come to mind) but is not outside the norm for any clowns that have taken up residence somewhere.

I've got false percs - one normal and another b&w, both like to do this. The b&w (smaller of the 2) does it a lot more. He's become an easy target to net - past 2 times I've had to do more than just a few seconds in the tank I've netted him so I can get things done and not worry about him biting.

jut be happy your clowns are smaller,,, I had a mated pair of maroons (the female was the size of a softball) and she used to attack my hand when I went on HER half of the 150g 6ft long tank... she would bite and make me bleed...then i started wearing thick rubber gloves...she didnt like them and stayed away at first,, then she started biting me THROUGH the gloves.. oh yeah

I had a maroon with a yellow stripe that would do the same thing. They are known to be super mean and aggressive. She bit so hard she drew blood. Then one day she couldn't wait for me to put my hand in the tank and as I lifited my hand she jumped up and out of the tank onto the floor. I was yelling at her, LOL. "See, that's what you get!!!" I picked her up and she still bit me, LOL. The red eyes should have told me she was a lil devil.

Folks see anemone fish and they immediately think cute nemo. They are related to damsels. Need I say more?

Ok I have it pretty good I guess. I will never get a marron even though they are pretty. My fish bites don't hurt they just catch me off guard sometimes and scare the crap out of me. Its also a huge pain when moving delicate corals around becasue they are right in the way! They do make me mad sometimes and they are getting more aggresive.

Ok I have it pretty good I guess. I will never get a marron even though they are pretty. My fish bites don't hurt they just catch me off guard sometimes and scare the crap out of me. Its also a huge pain when moving delicate corals around becasue they are right in the way! They do make me mad sometimes and they are getting more aggresive.

lmao yep i HAD!! a tomato hit so hard i did bleed one time she hit hard i jerked my hand..cutting it on a piece of coral and BURNING my elbow on my 400 mdh bulb thank goodness it didnt break

Wow, some real war stories here :tongue:

The most my B&W clowns have done is whip my hand with their tails if I big them with my hand. I've even split an anemone threy were in while it was on the rock(part of the foot was in a hole, so I could not remove it). Though they will bite larger fish that come within an inch or two of the anemone. But they prefer to let the threat of an anemone sting deter any would be bullies.

Haha my maroon clown is really evil. Whenever I stick my hand in with tongs or a gravel vac he waits until he sees my hand before attacking. He knows the difference between a foreign object in the tank and a hand! He also will rearrange the live rock itself, pushing rocks twice as big as him around. +1 on evil red eyes.

I'm always amazed how clowns know to attack the delicate flesh between fingers. You think they laugh when you yank your hand out, smash and burn yourself on broken light, slosh water out of the tank, and trip the breaker just after you've shocked the bejesus out of yourself?

I'm always amazed how clowns know to attack the delicate flesh between fingers. You think they laugh when you yank your hand out, smash and burn yourself on broken light, slosh water out of the tank, and trip the breaker just after you've shocked the bejesus out of yourself?

dang did u have a hidden camera in my house when that happend to me?????

I had Picasso's and the one use to swim to the top and spit water at me. LOVE CLOWNS!!

You other people sound like you were housing a Serrasalmus Niger :ohmy: I had a couple back in the day ;)

well,,, I just think my fish were a little crazy.. my clowns bit me all the time and my triggers (though they would spit at others, never spit at me) and my niger used to swim up to my hand and make me pet him like a dog whenever my hand was in the tank!