Removing center panel from corner stand

Cris

I have a 92 gallon corner tank. I want to put a sump inside the cabinet but there is a vertical panel that splits it, leaving no space to put the sump in the cabinet. I think the panel could be removed without affecting the support of the tank. Before I remove it, I wanted to see if anyone had similar experience or suggestions.

Thanks

Cris

can u post a picture of this support so we can get a better understanding of this...

Thanks for the reply. I don't have my camera but found this picture on the web. The photograph shows one door open. The panel I want to remove is in the center where the doors would meet if they were closed.

post-2633014-132512780665_thumb.jpg

if your tank is empty then yes u can remove the center brace to put a sump under it....but if it is full there is no way to remove that brace without the tank crashing down....looks like it is the only thing holding it up in the front....If your tank is empty and u remove the brace make darn sure u put the brace back the way it was height and all, or the front will settle down on ya and cause problems with the tank....

now this is from what I am seeing in the picture, so someone else might no more about this than I do, but I think I am right on this....

Store bought tank stands are so cheap and flimsy top begin with, I would never consider removing a structural element, even if I planned to replace it.

(You know you would have to replace it if you took it out, right? Then you would trap your sump in there with no way of removing it...unless you tried to make it removable, which is another headache, but even if it was removable, it couldn't be removed with the tank set up, so it wouldn't even help).

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

Have you thought about taking the tank off, removing the center piece of the stand and basically beefing up the whole inside of the stand (basically using it as a skin....) that may be your best bet... building and using 2x4 and 4x4's... granted it will cut down the size inside but you could get the center brace out....

Fazio92 had a 92 corner...he may be helpful

I had an Ocenanic tank, which had a different styled stand. See pic below. All the stand was built out of were 2x4's skinned with laminate and topped and bottomed with 1" particle board. I think you could easily redo your stand, but you just may end up completely rebuilding a new stand. I modified mine by cutting a diamond shape in the bottom particle board allowing for my custom 35gal diamond sump. Hope this helps

-Anthony

IMG_6447.jpg

Thanks everyone! My tank is already up and running . I guess I'll have to figure something else out. Anthony, that tank is beautiful. Cris

Cris, contact NAGA/Jeff to see if he can make something that will slide/rotate in like mine does. My sump is custom made by him. It's L shaped to fit around the bar. He's very good and reasonable.

Thanks everyone! My tank is already up and running . I guess I'll have to figure something else out. Anthony, that tank is beautiful. Cris

take it out, put it back when you're done. I feel your pain on trying to put things under your corner tank though. Check out my build thread in my signature below.

Edited by jason the filter freak

If you happen to make the alteration, i sold my corner tank and stand, but still have the custom sump for sale that would utilize the entire space below the tank ~40gal. let me know if you are interested

-Anthony

Thanks everyone