where to get tank drilled

astroboy

I've got a 90 gallon tank that I'll like to put overflows into. Does anyone know of a place or person who drills tanks and does this sort of anything? Any idea on a ballpark figure?

Thanks!

Where are you getting your overflows? I got mine from glass-holes.com, came with everything, couldn't be more happy. I got my first tank drilled by a LFS and it took him weeks. Since then I have done my own. Let us know, somebody will probably be willing to help.

Where are you getting your overflows? I got mine from glass-holes.com, came with everything, couldn't be more happy. I got my first tank drilled by a LFS and it took him weeks. Since then I have done my own. Let us know, somebody will probably be willing to help.

I second the glass holes. they make great over flow boxes. And then you do not loose 1/4 of yoru tank to the over flow with their boxes.

When I set up this 210 in the new house, I opted for a tank that was not reef-ready and, instead, installed two double-wide glass-holes overflows. Everything I needed, except the drill, came with the kit that I purchased. I even drilled the four holes that I needed into the tank while it was upright. The installation kit that they sell comes with a template that makes positioning the hole a piece of cake. The nice thing about an overflow like this is that it doesn't take up all that bottom-to-top and front-to-back space.

Thank for the good information, everyone.

I've been using a CPR overflow on my 29 gallon, but the siphon did fail on one occasion, so most of the water from the sump and alot of the topoff tank wound up on the floor. No damage to the livestock, fortunately. I'm slowly starting to set up a 90 gallon tank and I don't want to repeat that...

I am with ya on that starfish, I as well am setting up a 90 for my wife....I will be using glass holes overflow kits....and doing the drilling myself :clap:

I am with ya on that starfish, I as well am setting up a 90 for my wife....I will be using glass holes overflow kits....and doing the drilling myself :clap:

the only downside to glass holes, imo, is cost. Some LFS will drill holes for $10-$20 each. i think the glass holes overflow kit i priced for a 40g was around $125. a LFS could've drilled the 2 holes for $20-$40...

Edited by Ryan S

yea I think the LFS charge that to just dril the holes and the overflow kits r extra....at least that is the way it is down my way I have looked into it....much better off getting someone on here to help u drill your own tank as i am sure there r penty of members that would be willing to give you a hand with this....

• 2 weeks later...

Did you find anyone to help you drill the tank?

It looks like I'm going to need a hole drilled for a float valve in my 20g long sump. Does anyone have small drill bits for a hole like this (7/16" or 1/2" maybe?) WAMAS member or LFS? Preferably in NOVA?

You should be able to find a diamond bit at HD or Lowes I think for that small of a hole.

I drilled my tank myself, 7 holes, 3 - 1.5" bulkheads, 2 - 2" bulkheads, 3 - 1" bulkheads. It was really easy although I did rush it a little so there was a little chipping in the glass. Regardless, I did a bean style overflow with a coast-to-coast, and a local glass shop cut my glass. All in, it cost me just over 120 bucks for the glass, silicone, and drill bits. Personally, I will never do a different set-up now that I have this running. It was so worth the time and cost wise just as cheap as a glass-holes set-up that would handle my needs. Just a thought.

If you are getting a drill bit to only use for a couple holes, it's cheaper to get one from a LFS than from a hardware store.

I just picked up some 29 gallon tanks for a QT system and need to drill them too. Is there a special clamp for the drill to keep the diamond bit on line and with the right amount of pressure?

Are you sure the 29s are not tempered? I found out the hard way that one of mine was tempered.

dave, no clamp that i know of but you can drill a guide hole in a block of wood first. that helps but the key i almost no pressure go sloooow. if you put a lcd screen like a lap top on one side and look through the glass with polarized glasses on you can tell if its tempered

Thanks for the advice on whether the 29 is tempered. I'll check it out. That could force me to filter them individually through a hang on or in-tank. While I would have rather chained them all together to the same sump, individual QT tanks have their own advantages. I could do different treatment protocols in each tank and move the QT stuff from one to the next.

But I will still be bummed to find that 29s are tempered. How about regular 20s, 40 breeders and 55s?

The 40 breeders from Petco are not on the sides but are on the bottom. I believe most 55's are tempered all the way around.

Bruce, thanks for the info. It looks like I will be drilling from the bottom.

Bush river, I'm not sure if the offer was for me or the thread starter. If it was for me thanks for the generosity. What sizes do you have?

Will they fit in my hammer drill? :rolleyes: just kidding.

The offer is for anyone who will pick them up and drop them off.

I have a set. I don't remember where I bought it. But i have bits for most bulkheads. I will look when I get home.

I have used my hammer drill with me but I turn the hammer off :)

Dave,

Not sure if you got what I was saying. The 40 Breeder's are tempered on the bottom. The sides are not. Don't want you to ruin a perfectly good tank. I too would be willing to loan out my diamond bits for the 1", 1.5", or 2" bulkheads if anyone wants. I am next to Baltiimore but work in Columbia.

Edited by Names Bruce