Reduction of air bubbles?

Annap729

2 things i would do here.

1. have the return only go about 2 inches below your water line, even adding an elbow will help force the bubbles up.

2. if you lose power your sump is going to over flow onto the floor from the looks of this. when you turn the pump off the water from the pipes and surface of the tank are going to empty into the sump which is very close to the edge already.

2 things i would do here.

1. have the return only go about 2 inches below your water line, even adding an elbow will help force the bubbles up.

2. if you lose power your sump is going to over flow onto the floor from the looks of this. when you turn the pump off the water from the pipes and surface of the tank are going to empty into the sump which is very close to the edge already.

+1 Great Advice

Yeah,, your hose is WAYYYY tooo long.. should be emptying into the fuge/sump not laying on the bottom.. and having alot less water in there will help.. it shouldnt be more than 3/4 full

If you had a poweroutage youd have ALOT of water in the bottom of your tank

so, personally id cut the hose so that it is only 2 inches longer than the top of your fuge, add a filtersock holder and sock , lower the water level a few inches..

Yeah,, your hose is WAYYYY tooo long.. should be emptying into the fuge/sump not laying on the bottom.. and having alot less water in there will help.. it shouldnt be more than 3/4 full

If you had a poweroutage youd have ALOT of water in the bottom of your tank

so, personally id cut the hose so that it is only 2 inches longer than the top of your fuge, add a filtersock holder and sock , lower the water level a few inches..

Good idea and you could add carbon to sock to help break up bubbles and add exter carbon ...i personally believe you could never have too much carbon but that just me ;)

Edited by tightline

Good idea and you could add carbon to sock to help break up bubbles and add exter carbon ...i personally believe you could never have too much carbon but that just me wink.gif

I disagree. You dont want carbon in your filter socks for atleast these 2 reasons.

1.) You should be changing socks much more often than changing carbon

2.) Carbon needs good flow, but its not supposed to get pounded with flowing water

And you can add to much carbon to the system, there is a reason they give recommended amounts.

I disagree. You dont want carbon in your filter socks for atleast these 2 reasons.

1.) You should be changing socks much more often than changing carbon

2.) Carbon needs good flow, but its not supposed to get pounded with flowing water

And you can add to much carbon to the system, there is a reason they give recommended amounts.

hmmmm...never had a problem with carbon in socks with strong flow ..i just give a good rinse in the sock every so often and never saw a recomended amount use on carbon guess i should read more

Good point, not all carbons have recommended amounts. In some event read about hille they mentioned carbon pieces getting beaten up can cause issues. But more importantly socks are to be changed at least weekly.

I'm running the fuge high as that's where the old holes were. To the left it overflows down into the sump, which has 15 gallons of room when I lose power. I tested this before I did it, and the excess water in fuge just goes over into the sump.

I have a filter sock on the left overflow.

I think I'll change over to a reverse durso on each side and get rid of the other filter sock for ease of maintenance. I have some rubble on that side. I like that design! It seems intelligent.

getting rid of a filter sock for ease of maint. doesnt make sense to me.. being that they catch alot of stuff that would normally float in the tank or cover all the rubble in your ref/sump..

getting rid of a filter sock for ease of maint. doesnt make sense to me.. being that they catch alot of stuff that would normally float in the tank or cover all the rubble in your ref/sump..

If your tank has floaties, then you have other issues.

Socks are for feet.

I have a dead silent overflow box on the sump. No splash, no noise, no salt creep, slows current drastically. Come take a look.

Yeah.. i used to put my carbon in filter bags in the chamber of my fuge after my socks (normally where a sponge or other filter media go before my chaeto)

]

I actually started using Chaeto as a main component of my filtration and I love the results. I could never get it to grow fast enough to starve microalgae. What am i doing different? no socks,or if you want to the mesh socks works great. The felt/poly socks trap TOO much dirt and can turn into a nitrate factory if not cleaned at least weekly. The advantage of the Chaeto using the "dirt" instead of the sock cathcing it, is that you will see tons of pods repopulating like mad right where that food is. if your using rubble that works, but try finding a bunch of empty shells; they provide an excellent sanctuary for pod larvae and other microfauna. the other good way to get the detritus out of there if it does accumulate is to put a small prop pump in your fuge....it will kepp the chaeto tumbling so that all sides are exposed to light, and it will keep the detritus in suspension which will(should unless the skimmer is weak) be skimmed out.

I'm running the fuge high as that's where the old holes were. To the left it overflows down into the sump, which has 15 gallons of room when I lose power. I tested this before I did it, and the excess water in fuge just goes over into the sump.

I have a filter sock on the left overflow.

I think I'll change over to a reverse durso on each side and get rid of the other filter sock for ease of maintenance. I have some rubble on that side. I like that design! It seems intelligent.

If you want to use filter socks, Eshopps makes nylon 200 micron socks which don't clog as easy and they are certainly easier to clean; just flip inside out and rinse. i use these because they require less changing as they dont clog up like the thicker ones. See HERE[/url

I have I have I have....everyone knows youre a beast when it come to natural filtration! :ph34r:

in

|

| out

Like Rocko said, putting one 90 or even two 90 deg elbows | |

|---| like that. Sorry for no drawing. BUt basically if you add to 90s together so that the water comiong from the drain does a 180 you will see a drastic reduction in air bubbles.

If your tank has floaties, then you have other issues.

Socks are for feet.

I have a dead silent overflow box on the sump. No splash, no noise, no salt creep, slows current drastically. Come take a look.

LOL well shows how little i know any more when i hear socks i thought u ment the old net bag type (i fill these with carbon)a quick rinse with carbon left inside and they are good as new ..didnt know they had filter(pading ) kind lol ...