So let me pick your brain a little...

Jan

I'm getting several fish from another member. the fish are in a system with a UV sterilizer. they are clean clean clean! Gorgeous. My system does not have a uv sterilizer. I've filled a 150 gallon tub and a 29 gallon tank for the transfer. the 29 has l/r from my system. the tub doesn't have anything except fresh mix in it. I'm hoping to empty my 75 into the tub, add my LR, corals, etc.. and use it as a holding while I set up the newer system. How does it sound so far? If I use water and rock from my system I should not have any problems, right? How about the new arrivals? How do you think they'll handle coming from a system with a UV sterilizer into my system. I was thinking of putting the new arrivals in the 29 gallon, seperate and aside from my system. I will put LR and water from the system they're coming from into the 29 gallon. I can leave them in the 29 gallon

for a little while so they settle in and then introduce them into the new set up. Give me your thoughts. how would you do it?

Edited by Jan

If it were me i would put everything into the holding tub until you have the new tank ready. No need to acclimate the fishes twice, moving from one tank to another can be stressful enough.

If it were me i would put everything into the holding tub until you have the new tank ready. No need to acclimate the fishes twice, moving from one tank to another can be stressful enough.

Agreed, I don't see anything to gain from housing them in another tank. Yes, it would build up dirt and organics like your main tank. This could take a little while, and let the fish get accustomed to it. But the stress of transferring them twice would far outweigh any help you would find in puting them in the 29. If your worried about the difference of the systems effecting the fish. Then just acclimate them longer. Just my newbie opinion :happy:

I'm getting several fish from another member. the fish are in a system with a UV sterilizer. they are clean clean clean!

just because they are in a tank with a UV does not mean they are clean. Ick is only killed by the uv if its free floating in the water. Ick does not like to be floating in the water. Most of the time it is on the fish waiting for the fish to become weak or stressed. To minimize the stress i would also put them all in the tub. No matter what they are going to be stressed a little bit with the new home and new tank mates. Keep them well feed and change the water more often then you would normally.

Edited by rocko918

just because they are in a tank with a UV does not mean they are clean. Ick is only killed by the uv if its free floating in the water. Ick does not like to be floating in the water. Most of the time it is on the fish waiting for the fish to become weak or stressed. To minimize the stress i would also put them all in the tub. No matter what they are going to be stressed a little bit with the new home and new tank mates. Keep them well feed and change the water more often then you would normally.

I agree.

Not a genius and pro like all the great folks up here but i also vote for all in one tank. Good Morning everybody!